What's new

Soap question

ive been straight razor shaving daily for about two years now. Yesterday my shave was interrupted and I left my bowl full of suds sitting out for a few hours. When I got back to cleaning up, I noticed the soap had reverted to a hardened state. I was just wondering if it could be saved and brought back to life for next shave? Has anybody “saved their suds”?

I have no idea but hey, give it a try and let us know how you fair.

The question kinda reminds me of that Vimeo video where Billy Hukin shaves with a straight with bath soap. He puts the leftover lather back in the "box" for future use. Depression Era mentality I suppose.

Chris

I've often wondered about this. I once started saving unused lather just to see, but stopped when I saw how low the yield from each shave was. So the question is 'can shave soap be lathered twice?' as I understand it. I suspect that the answer is yes.

ive been straight razor shaving daily for about two years now. Yesterday my shave was interrupted and I left my bowl full of suds sitting out for a few hours. When I got back to cleaning up, I noticed the soap had reverted to a hardened state. I was just wondering if it could be saved and brought back to life for next shave? Has anybody “saved their suds”?

I have been doing this for the last 2 months as a trial, As EL Alamein posted above about the video with Billy Hukin.
Low and behold I have a rogue shaving brush that was doing nothing, so this was going to be the test brush and a bowl of a fantastic soap called Tabac.

To the test results I lathered the soap up on the brush seeing I only face lather most of the time, and shaved adding soap as I went along then once shaved left the brush in the tabac soap not washing it out. The result the soap and brush got better and better the more I used the brush.

Out of 2 months of use the brush never got chance to dry, only for 24 hours no shedding no funk in the brush now is the time I am leaving the brush to dry to see what the out come is on the brush. its now standing for 2 weeks its in the first week a week to go.

But yes you can with the soap but I want the brush bone dry to see if any damage to it IE: If it starts shedding bad when dry......

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have been doing this for the last 2 months as a trial, As EL Alamein posted above about the video with Billy Hukin.
Low and behold I have a rogue shaving brush that was doing nothing, so this was going to be the test brush and a bowl of a fantastic soap called Tabac.

To the test results I lathered the soap up on the brush seeing I only face lather most of the time, and shaved adding soap as I went along then once shaved left the brush in the tabac soap not washing it out. The result the soap and brush got better and better the more I used the brush.

Out of 2 months of use the brush never got chance to dry, only for 24 hours no shedding no funk in the brush now is the time I am leaving the brush to dry to see what the out come is on the brush. its now standing for 2 weeks its in the first week a week to go.

But yes you can with the soap but I want the brush bone dry to see if any damage to it IE: If it starts shedding bad when dry......
I used to leave an unwashed Omega boar in the mug as a matter of course. Not as an experiment but as a matter of pure laziness. Neither the brush nor soap suffered in the least.

Well, gents, I tried it and have to say I’ll stick with fresh soap every day. Twice with Tabac and once with D.R. Harris. Tabac held its ground much better than the DRH, but neither was a raging success. Just a new thing to try down in the rabbit hole of SR shaving!

Well, gents, I tried it and have to say I’ll stick with fresh soap every day. Twice with Tabac and once with D.R. Harris. Tabac held its ground much better than the DRH, but neither was a raging success. Just a new thing to try down in the rabbit hole of SR shaving!

Get some Razo-Rock that brand is also good.......

But once you get down this hole, we have partys, beers, girls, bbq's It's none stop 24/7

I'm currently bowl lathering and if I'm not changing the soap the next day I leave the lather in the bowl and squeeze the lather from the brush into it. The next day I load less from the shaving soap and add it to yesterday's now dried up lather/soap. It works perfectly and I've been doing so when bowl lathering for the last five years or so. Why wash away perfectly usable shaving soap? Besides the perfume in the dried lather adds a nice scent to the bath room.

I'm currently bowl lathering and if I'm not changing the soap the next day I leave the lather in the bowl and squeeze the lather from the brush into it. The next day I load less from the shaving soap and add it to yesterday's now dried up lather/soap. It works perfectly and I've been doing so when bowl lathering for the last five years or so. Why wash away perfectly usable shaving soap? Besides the perfume in the dried lather adds a nice scent to the bath room.
+1 Me too.

Now I know why those old brushes for sale on eBay are bent.....:a29:

Being the minimalist and tight wad that I am, I prefer to clean my tools after use. Since I face lather, there is nothing left after three passes, so I just wash the brush until the soap is completely removed and do a few strokes on a towel to dry a bit. I just have four brushes, a scarcity among the more sophisticated.

No ! Soapy brush is not in my rutine. Only leftovers of soap in the bowl.
As a noob wet shaver I am not established good soap loading and often I load too much.

Now I know why those old brushes for sale on eBay are bent.....:a29:

Being the minimalist and tight wad that I am, I prefer to clean my tools after use. Since I face lather, there is nothing left after three passes, so I just wash the brush until the soap is completely removed and do a few strokes on a towel to dry a bit. I just have four brushes, a scarcity among the more sophisticated.

Yep I am the same use to bowl lather but now moved on to face lathering, I like the feeling while building the lather up but I do bowl lather odd times. As I did manage to get a Karl Langner shaving scuttle that I use in winter...

i’ll often use the last of the lather to clean/wash my face. too much shave cream or soap in the bathroom to try to save unused lather for the next shave.

No ! Soapy brush is not in my rutine. Only leftovers of soap in the bowl.
As a noob wet shaver I am not established good soap loading and often I load too much.
’ll

I was taught to leave the unused lather in the bowl and use it to "help start" the next next shave's lather. I always clean/dry the brush and leave the unused lather in the bowl. I load just a little fresh soap to the brush for next shave. This lets me build great lather in less then a minute. I find this saves a few minutes and delivers really nice lather. When I change soaps I rinse out the bowl and start fresh.

I face lather, and I wipe/rinse most of the excess foam/lather off the puck when I’m done shaving.

I was taught to leave the unused lather in the bowl and use it to "help start" the next next shave's lather. I always clean/dry the brush and leave the unused lather in the bowl. I load just a little fresh soap to the brush for next shave. This lets me build great lather in less then a minute. I find this saves a few minutes and delivers really nice lather. When I change soaps I rinse out the bowl and start fresh.
Amen

I'm too OCD to leave unused lather in the bowl or on the puck. It would look too much like a mess that needed to be cleaned up. Perhaps if I bowl lathered i would give it a try, but I'd have to hide the bowl out of site in between shaves.

I'm too OCD to leave unused lather in the bowl or on the puck. It would look too much like a mess that needed to be cleaned up. Perhaps if I bowl lathered i would give it a try, but I'd have to hide the bowl out of site in between shaves.
Ahh! finally a chink in an otherwise shining armour!:001_tt2: Having stated that I must confess my house is a very tidy version of a Scandinavian design catalogue. My half filled lather bowl is my way to prove that I'm "normal".

Top Bottom