What's new

Soap Pucks. How do you keep them?

I see the pucks of soap that can be purchased, but I’ve never ordered one because I dint know what to do with them. Do you have to buy a special lidded container? Do you drop it in a mug and just leave it there? Do they need to be covered? Do I have to remove it from the mug after using and wrap it up?
I end up with so many confusing questions that I always move on to another product. Are they worth the bother?

Hard pucks are the way to go, I think. Easy to store. Last a long time in storage. When I put one in rotation, I just stick it in a mug that it fits best in. I usually won't cover it unless I store it away. But most of the time when I use a hard puck I keep it in rotation until it's done.

The exception is Tabac, which is a winter soap. When I'm ready to put that away, I dry the puck out, cover it, and store it back in my closet.

You can just drop it in a mug and keep it uncovered and you never have to worry about mildew ( some do, but I don't ). And especially if you buy a vintage old spice mug or something like that, I really enjoy that. But what will probably happen in that case is that the scent will probably reduce over time. You can mitigate this by buying a 3.5 ounce plastic cup of chips ahoy cookies, or similar, because that size lid fits nicely on most old spice mugs.

Maggard Razors and Stirling soaps both have empty containers for sale for just a couple of dollars. So that's an option. They have lids and, After affixing the puck into it, I just leave mine open during each shave and then close the lid at the end and I don't actually worry about mold and mildew.

Or you can use a Pyrex dish or any container really . Sometimes people wet the bottom of the soap and use that to let it stick to the container. I personally have sometimes shredded some or all of the soap to be able to fill in empty spaces around so that it doesn't move. The cheese grater works fine for this.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I have a couple of old tubs that originally had TOBS cream in them. They are durable and close nicely. I just drop a new puck in and keep going.

My favorite is my Old Spice mug that I’ve used from day one. Other than that, apothecary mugs, Ceramic mug with thumb rest notched in the side and VDH mugs. I have one Fine stacking mug as well.

There’s so many options. Unless they canne in jars with lids like Tobac, MWF, Sterling , or RazoRock, I leave them wide open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old spice mug - currently housing a puck of FINE green vetiver
Tabac bowl - Tabac goodness lives within
Mitchell’s Wool Fat ceramic dish - puck of MWF soaking within... plays double duty as a house plant by getting water weekly

As for the rest, I’ve gone two other directions. One is I purchased some nice little wooden bowls from amazon, a 4pk for maybe $6-8. I either placed the hard puck inside and used it as it was, or if it was a soap that could be melted, I did so in the microwave. The second direction I went was DIY shave sticks. I bought a half dozen twist up plastic deo tubes, and proceed to mash, melt or shave soaps into the tubes. The latter is my preference. The tubes are reusable and I find the soaps are easier to load and lather.

With the number of soaps most of us accumulate, my biggest concern is them collecting dust and going from dry to damp and getting all Fowler up if they are not in regular rotation. The tubes fix that issue and make travel or storage a breeze.

I have 2 coffee mugs and an Avon shave mug which each hold a puck (uncovered). My other (lesser used) pucks are stored in covered soap tins.

The whole thing is, if you leave them out uncovered the nice scent you paid for will probably fade. If you end up having to buy special mugs, bowls with lids to keep them in...even Tupperware, is there really any point to buying a puck over paying the small extra price for the same puck that comes with a tub? So unless its one of those fancy containers where the refil puck is twenty dollars cheaper, I really can’t see the point.

The whole thing is, if you leave them out uncovered the nice scent you paid for will probably fade. If you end up having to buy special mugs, bowls with lids to keep them in...even Tupperware, is there really any point to buying a puck over paying the small extra price for the same puck that comes with a tub? So unless its one of those fancy containers where the refil puck is twenty dollars cheaper, I really can’t see the point.
With a little know how and shopping around the proprietary containers for some of these soaps can be had pretty affordable as well. I got my MWF In the dish for less than $18 usd. Could have had TABAC for $12.

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have the Mitchell's Wool Fat ceramic dish with lid. Half the puck got grated and pressed in, and I vacuum packed the other half. In the same drawer as that second half, I have a second puck of Mitchell's still wrapped in the original packaging.

I also have a lather bowl that's packed full of grated Palmolive stick. That just sits in the open, waiting to be used, and rarely does. No significant scent to lose, it's soap scented, I don't care much about soap scents anyway.

For travel, I have a small screwtop sample pot, which will hold a slice of Palmolive stick. No point in lugging round a whole stick, or trying to figure out what to put it in so I don't get soap on everything else in the bag. I get ~200 shaves per stick, so a slice will easily last me for most trips.

I also have a small tupperware pot, and a pewter quaich, which I can press samples into for loading from. That gives a bit of variety, and then I go back to the Mitchell's. I've tried to avoid having numerous full soaps to worry about. I think that would cause far more problems than it solves.

If you have been using creams, keep the containers. TOBS are perfect. Soap pucks become more pliable after a few shaves, and can easily be moulded to fit if it is a small puck like Haslingers.
Absolutely no problem .

If you go for a mug there are silicone stick on vacuum lids for al kind of bowls.
I tend to grate pucks, sticks and work with the flakes in an small shaving cream container and store the original puck in plastic.
But for use I simple take some flakes and add them to my lathering bowl.
Also nice if you want to mix two soaps.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I use 2 cup size Pyrex bowls that.come with lids. I bought a three pack for $9, which makes them only $3 each.
20200222_155513_kindlephoto-4237049.jpg
20200222_155313_kindlephoto-4123256.jpg

I'm a cheapskate, so when I had to go to a remote work camp, I'd store a Williams puck in an 8 oz. polypropylene deli container:

proxy.php

Tough, waterproof, and usually free. I get mine when I buy bulk food at the supermarket.

Also, since they're 4.5" wide, they'll hold an extra-large (3.75" - 4") puck. The Williams puck in my photo is only 2.5" across.

i store all my soaps and creams open topped in the bottom of my wardrobe. Even those I've just shaved with and are still wet. It's a fantastic way of keeping your clothes smelling 'fresh' and prevents that 'old persons mustiness' smell from developing -Utilise their 'precious' scents !

Better than any deodoriser !!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
It is worth remembering that the proprietary jars supplied with both MWF and Tabac have very loose lids; in fact they simply rest on top of the jar, would fall off if the jars were inverted, and are certainly not air tight. It seems to me therefore that MWF and Tabac are intended by their own producers not to be stored in air tight containers. I doubt that such loose lids would have any great effect on scent retention over time unless it were many years. I use both of these and also Old Spice mugs, the soap remains in the container until it is completely used up; I load the brush from the container and then face lather. Many other hard soap producers, such as Floris, Geo F Trumper, Truefitt & Hill, and D.R.Harris sell their soaps in wooden bowls with loose fitting lids. TOBS containers are screw top plastic tubs since they are creams or croaps; at any rate I do not regard them as soaps, although of course TOBS do 'make' hard soaps.

I use a vintage Old Spice mug for "normal" pucks. For the larger, rounded bottom pucks like Cade, I use a Cappuccino/Latte mug.
Old Spice Mug (2).JPGPier 1 Latte (2).JPG

Top Bottom