What's new

Soap or cream??

Hey!

I tried the search function but couldn't really get the answer I wanted. What exactly is the difference between soap and cream. Is one clearly better than the other or is it a matter of preference? I've also noticed that some of you guys use both?

I use Proraso sapone da barba (litt. translated 'soap for the beard') so that would be soap but QED states it as being cream:confused: Which one is it :D

thx!

Hi Merlino,

Soap comes from the reaction of a fat and an alkali. Depending on the alkali used (sodium versus potatssium hydroxide), you will get a solid (soap) or a more liquid (cream) mixture. Neither is "better" or "worse" for shaving, it comes down to personal preference and variety.

Many gents feel creams give a thicker lather and thus a bit more protection from the razor. Cream may also be nominally easier to create lather for a newbie. Personally, I use both and like to have as many on hand as possible.

Each product will behave differently from a lather and shave perspective. Try out glycerin soaps versus hard-milled soaps versus creams and see which you prefer.

Merlino:

I enjoy both creams and soaps and I alternate daily between them. I enjoy creams for their fragrance and rich, creamy lather. Soaps have a thinner lather but most feel they can get a closer shave vs a cream.

Some if they feel they can't get enough good quality lather from a soapor want more scent will add a little cream to it. Experiment with each one and both and see how they work for you personally.

Jerry

Thanks both!

And another maybe a bit silly question: Is there a "best" material for a shaving mug? I'm currently looking for a mug made from brushed steel because I like the look a lot (accompanying the steel DE and my brush which also has a handle made from steel) ...

Merlino, it's really both. The tube stuff is cream, the bowl stuff is a semi hard soap. I personally prefer the tube stuff.

Jeff

I've only used the tube stuff but I love it. I'm actually lucky enough to travel to Italy every now and then because even here in Holland (which is a lot closer to Italy than the US is) it's hard to find...

Merlino, my brother in law first brought it back as a gift to me from Italy, and a month later it showed up like crazy in almost every drugstore here, so there's no problem for us to get it.

Jeff

Merlino said:
Thanks both!

And another maybe a bit silly question: Is there a "best" material for a shaving mug? I'm currently looking for a mug made from brushed steel because I like the look a lot (accompanying the steel DE and my brush which also has a handle made from steel) ...
There is no best, just personal preference, as usual. Choose something that will hold heat. I have a cheapie ceramic bowl that I use. Steel heats up quick, but cools off quick as well. The rest is just aesthetics.

Welcomed, Merlino;

I love them both (soaps and creams) also. I tend to grab the soap when I'm in a hurry. And creams when I have more time to revel in it. :wink: They both bring me great pleasure.

-Greg-

Here's a curveball to answer and perhaps complicate Merlino's query. There are places around the web I do not recall that actually sell the Proraso soap in a tube, and not just in the plastic jar. I don't know if it's the same as the cream once in the tube, but it does read 'shaving soap' on the tube. I'm too lazy to apply due diligence and look this up (i'm going to make dinner instead), so my info for the moment is anecdotal.

All the Proraso lathering stuff (soap and cream) says "Sapone be Barba", I believe. It is no different from the use of "liquid soap" and such - it is all the same thing, created from the chemical reaction of fat and alkali. Call it what you will....:wink:

I started with soaps because it seems like most people on here made them sound better, but now that I've tried a few creams, I like the creams more. I find the creams easier to lather, which for me provides more protection and a better shave. I also find that they aren't as drying as soaps.

In my past 30 years of shaving, I found creams lather up faster and tend not to dry up on the skin as fast as soaps. I like my lather to stay on my skin for a little while to soften that stubble up before proceeding to shave... Especially if I haven't just showered. I can see how soaps can be fun as well. It's all a matter of personal preference. Get a quality cream and a quality soap and test them both out... It's the only way you're really going to find out what you're going to like more.

In my past 30 years of shaving, I found creams lather up faster and tend not to dry up on the skin as fast as soaps. I like my lather to stay on my skin for a little while to soften that stubble up before proceeding to shave... Especially if I haven't just showered. I can see how soaps can be fun as well. It's all a matter of personal preference. Get a quality cream and a quality soap and test them both out... It's the only way you're really going to find out what you're going to like more.

In my 30 years of shaving, I found that soaps need a generous amount of water, added gradually (that is important). You really build the lather, more than you do with creams.

However, I spent 29 of those 30 years with one soap and one cream, so I am actually still a newbie. But my technique also seems to work with other soaps.

Mike's natural soap and C&F cream.... I really don't know what is better! As for Proraso tube vs tub I would put equality.... YMMV

I'm not sure of the technical difference, and some products blur the line (Cella etc.) I have a harris lavender cream that's harder than my cella soap. As for performance, it really comes down to the product. I'd take CF cream over most soaps. I'd take a tallow AoS soap over CF cream.

I like to use both -- often at the same time.

Top Bottom