What's new

Soap Of The Month Club (SOTMC)

In for April 2022

Soap: Saponificio Varesino Desert Vetiver

Attempts: 71
( DR Harris Arlington, B&M Fougere Aromatique, Blades Grim Smolder, SCS Soap for Hope, WSO Coconut Lime, Czech and Speake Oxford & Cambridge, Valobra Fougere, LASS Hollywood Romance, Floris Verbena Stick, Estoril Shave Cream, DR Harris Arlington, Mitchell Wool Fat, Valobra Regular, DR Harris Arlington, Mondial Tobacco Verde, Saponificio Varesino Desert Vetiver )

Completions: 71
Fails: 0
Months skipped:6
Consecutive month:0

Late reply, but I succeeded in March with Geo F. Trumper Spanish Leather shave cream.
Entering April with Tabac, I missed it. One of my favourites.

Attempts: 45
Completions: 43
Fails: 2 (July 2015, August 2016)

Soaps Used: Tabac soap x12, T&H Sandalwood soap x3, GFT Spanish leather, GFT Eucris soap x6, GFT Violet soap x3, Proraso Green soap x3, Spieck cream x2, TOBS Avocado cream x 2, Truefitt & Hill rose cream x 3, Truefitt & Hill Grafton cream x3, Dr. Harris Marlborough soap, Midnight & Two's The Study, Col. Conk Bay Rum, Queen Charlotte's Irish Tweed x2, Proraso Blue, Barrister & Mann Leviathan, Henri et Victoria Cuban Cigar, Great Canadian Shave Co. Lavender, Stirling Black Cumin & Orange, Arko Shave Cream.

Soaps finished during a month: 7 (Truefitt & Hill Rose, Henri et Victoria Cuban Cigar, Stirling Black Cumin, Fendrihan's Sandalwood & Lavender, Barrister & Mann Leviathan, Queen Charlotte's Green Irish Tweed, and Tabac)

Months skipped in total: 38 (February & March 2016, November 2016 to August 2017, April 2018, & July 2018 to January 2019), June to September 2019, November 2019 to December 2020

Success with Tabac in April.
Entering May with Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood.

Attempts: 46
Completions: 44

Soaps Used: Tabac soap x13, T&H Sandalwood soap x3, GFT Spanish leather, GFT Eucris soap x6, GFT Violet soap x3, Proraso Green soap x3, Spieck cream x2, TOBS Avocado cream x 2, Truefitt & Hill rose cream x 3, Truefitt & Hill Grafton cream x3, Dr. Harris Marlborough soap, Midnight & Two's The Study, Col. Conk Bay Rum, Queen Charlotte's Irish Tweed x2, Proraso Blue, Barrister & Mann Leviathan, Henri et Victoria Cuban Cigar, Great Canadian Shave Co. Lavender, Stirling Black Cumin & Orange, Arko Shave Cream.

Soaps finished during a month: 7 (Truefitt & Hill Rose, Henri et Victoria Cuban Cigar, Stirling Black Cumin, Fendrihan's Sandalwood & Lavender, Barrister & Mann Leviathan, Queen Charlotte's Green Irish Tweed, and Tabac)

Months skipped in total: 38 (February & March 2016, November 2016 to August 2017, April 2018, & July 2018 to January 2019), June to September 2019, November 2019 to December 2020

Completed April with Barrister and Mann Bay Rum.
Entering May with The Goodfellas' Smile Amber Fougere

tgs_amber_fougere_mydlo_na_holeni.jpg

Attempts:8
Completions: 7
Fails: none
Soaps Used: Tabac - Proraso red - Stirling Scots Pine Sheep - Extro Cosmesi 17° Stormo - RazoRock Santa Maria Del Fiore - TFS Dracaris - Barrister and Mann Bay Rum -
Soaps finished during a month: 0
Months skipped in total: 0
Consecutive months: 7

Moderate success in April. I was hoping to finish the Mike's, but I was not keeping well and just didn't shave often. The remnants in the tin were thin, and starting to spin, so it was time to get them move in...to a new home.

I have transplanted the dregs to my Mug of Gross* and packed them in. When they are gone, I'll consider the Mike's to be done and move on, as seen below.

Soap: Stirling Orange Chill + Omega Eucalyptus
Attempts:2
Completions:1
Fails:0
Consecutive months:1
Months skipped:0
Soaps Used: Mike's Lemongrass and Eucalyptus (almost)

*I always have more lather than I need and I hate to waste it; I also don't want to have soap build-up in the pipes. At the end of the shave, I squeeze the extra lather out of the brush and into an Old Spice mug; any big drips/slops during the shave go in, too. Over time, this builds up layers as I've rotated through soaps. Occasionally, I add some water and stir, and it eventually compacts and coalesces into some sort of soap...thing. I've done this before, using this as my "puck", and I'll say one thing: it doesn't look pretty in there! Hence, the name. However, since (most of) the soaps that gave lather to this mug are quality soaps - Arko, Tabac, Stirling, etc. - the melange works well, giving a slick lather with a complex scent that changes as I hit different layers.

Last edited:
In for May 2022

Soap: Saponificio Varesino Desert Vetiver

Attempts: 72
( DR Harris Arlington, B&M Fougere Aromatique, Blades Grim Smolder, SCS Soap for Hope, WSO Coconut Lime, Czech and Speake Oxford & Cambridge, Valobra Fougere, LASS Hollywood Romance, Floris Verbena Stick, Estoril Shave Cream, DR Harris Arlington, Mitchell Wool Fat, Valobra Regular, DR Harris Arlington, Mondial Tobacco Verde, Saponificio Varesino Desert Vetiver )

Completions: 72
Fails: 0
Months skipped:6
Consecutive month:1

Reactions: bjm
Completed April with Barrister and Mann Bay Rum.
Entering May with The Goodfellas' Smile Amber Fougere

View attachment 1448823

Attempts:8
Completions: 7
Soaps Used: Tabac - Proraso red - Stirling Scots Pine Sheep - Extro Cosmesi 17° Stormo - RazoRock Santa Maria Del Fiore - TFS Dracaris - Barrister and Mann Bay Rum -
Consecutive months: 7
Yum Amber Fougere - bet it smells awesome!

Success in May with Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood.
Entering in June with Arko.

Attempts: 47
Completions: 45

Soaps Used: Tabac soap x13, T&H Sandalwood soap x4, GFT Spanish leather, GFT Eucris soap x6, GFT Violet soap x3, Proraso Green soap x3, Spieck cream x2, TOBS Avocado cream x 2, Truefitt & Hill rose cream x 3, Truefitt & Hill Grafton cream x3, Dr. Harris Marlborough soap, Midnight & Two's The Study, Col. Conk Bay Rum, Queen Charlotte's Irish Tweed x2, Proraso Blue, Barrister & Mann Leviathan, Henri et Victoria Cuban Cigar, Great Canadian Shave Co. Lavender, Stirling Black Cumin & Orange, Arko Shave Cream.

Strangely, I don't think I got through all of the Mike's to the layers below, but I'm calling it a win anyway because I used the declared soap and no others. I'm going to set that MoG aside now and work on the Stirling/Omega combo.

Soap: Stirling Orange Chill + Omega Eucalyptus
Attempts:3
Completions:2
Consecutive months:2
Soaps Used: Mike's Lemongrass and Eucalyptus

Completed May with The Goodfellas' Smile Amber Fougere.
Entering June with Barbiere de Figaro Esclusivo.

BdF Esclusivo-800x800.jpg

Attempts:9
Completions: 8
Soaps Used: Tabac - Proraso red - Stirling Scots Pine Sheep - Extro Cosmesi 17° Stormo - RazoRock Santa Maria Del Fiore - TFS Dracaris - Barrister and Mann Bay Rum - Goodfellas' Smile Amber Fougere
Consecutive months: 8

Success in May
Intentions set for June

Soap: Floris No. 89
Attempts:3
Completions:2
Consecutive months:2
Soaps Used: Truefitt's Sandalwood, B&M Paganini’s Violin