What's new

Soap Makers Who Offer "Modern" Scents

Stirling is a good shout. All of the Fine Accoutrement soaps are based on popular colognes. American Blend is my favorite.
Saponificio Varesino is an Italian soap maker. Opuntia and 70th Anniversary are wonderful cologne type scents.

Funny you should mention Stirling and the SV 70th. I have Stirling Deep Blue Sea and SV 70th both on the way from Maggards right now along with Shannon's Soaps Lake Shore Drive and an Omega boar brush.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me find what I was looking for!

Funny you should mention Stirling and the SV 70th. I have Stirling Deep Blue Sea and SV 70th both on the way from Maggards right now along with Shannon's Soaps Lake Shore Drive and an Omega boar brush.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me find what I was looking for!

I have Shannon's Soaps Lakeshore Drive and it is a really nice smelling aquatic scent. Very well composed.

Welcome to B&B, Sir Wgg2017!

If you like fashion mall store scents, definitely try Creed stuff!!

creeds.jpg

Welcome to B&B, Sir Wgg2017!

If you like fashion mall store scents, definitely try Creed stuff!!

View attachment 1067384

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'll definitely try out Creed's stuff too. Although at this point it's probably going to be a year or two before I need more soap. I'm sure I'm not the only one with that problem around here though.

I recently purchased about 20 soap samples from Maggards and, unfortunately, didn't really find much I like outside of about 5 of them. Some of the brands include A&E, Wholly Kaw, Proraso, Dr Jon's Lime (which I like), B and M, Captains Choice, and a few others. A&E was my favorite overall but even their stuff wasn't quite what I'm looking for.

After smelling all those samples I know for a fact that I don't like floral, powdery, or fougere scents. In fact, I would say that most of the samples I have are of the traditional scent type.

What I like instead are citrus scents (which are easy to identify) and, for lack of a better term, department store cologne scents. The cologne scents are what I'm having trouble identifying, partly because I don't really have a good idea of what something will smell like just by reading the scent profile.

All of that is a really long way of asking if their are currently any soap makers producing what I would call modern department store cologne scents?

I also found the scent wheel below and was reviewing it. My focus I expect would be on Water, Citrus, and Oriental scents. What soap makers should I be looking at who focus on more modern scents? Are there any? Thanks for any help and advice provided.

View attachment 1066142
Stirling has Orange Chill (year around) and Glacial Citron (Spring/Summer). Their Glacials are basically soaps with menthol on steroids. If you like mentholated soaps, try the orange Chill and if they (or another company) has the Glacial Citron, give that a try.

For me personally, I have relied on the product descriptions and reviews to guide my decision, based on the type of soap I want. I don't recall ever purchasing soap samples, which, of course, has made this hobby more expensive, I like all of the Stirling Soaps I've tried. Their mutton tallow soaps do take a little more effort in getting the perfect lather compared to their beef tallow soaps, but I like both.

Funny enough, I DON'T like modern department store frags, so I buy entirely from artisans that tend not to do hommage scents. But I have come across MANY artisans that do hommage and do it a lot. Here's a list of them:

- Chicago Grooming Co (formerly Oleo Soapworks). Bonus...canard base is excellent.
- Stirling. Again...only limitation is how much money you want to spend. Downside...I don't like the base as much.
- Jabones de Joserra
- Murphy and McNeil. Tons of choices. Almost all clones.

In all honesty, MMcN is probably the best bet. While they clone like Stirling, I find their base to be much better. Don't know what is up with Chicago Grooming because their availability is weird and low. YMMV.

Southern Witchcrafts specialize on delivering on the edge scent profiles. I use their products almost exclusively.

If you google thirsty badger scent list. You will find a huge list of cologne with their dupes in shaving soaps and who makes them.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The whole traditional/old/young/modern thing is referenced so much and I really don't understand the concept.
There's no truly "modern" scent. Everything has been done since a cave man first accidentally dribbled the juice from an orange he was eating down his chest and a nearby lady neanderthal smiled at him.
If you like aquatics, or citrus or whatever, there are plenty out there that range from modern makers to very old houses.
Scents are not old or young, vintage or modern. The people who wear them are though.
If you smell something you associate with an "old" smell, it's likely you had someone older than you in your history that wore something similar, and you associate that smell with "old".

I researched some soaps in this vein before I had to stop because there are so many wonderful scents. But These are the ones I've purchased and I can tell you the Ethos and SV are my favorites, the Stirling soap is a great base also, but the other Ethos and SV bases are another level. Good luck!

Listed are the colognes these soaps are known to be based on.

Stirling Soaps:
Executive Man (Creed Aventus)
Deep Blue Sea (Bleu de Chanel)
Sandpiper (YSL La Nuit de l'Homme)
Haverford (Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille)

Declaration Grooming - Massacre of the Innocents, earthly, chocolatey, wintery cologne. The cinnamon is there too in the sweetness. I love this scent also, but it's a soft soap, "croap"

Ethos Succes (Creed Aventus) I would say less sweet, more refined than Executive Man and I love the Ethos F-Base.

Saponificio Varesino - 70th Anniversary - (Aqua di Gio) I believe is the inspiration, I hope I'm not remembering wrong.

Top Bottom