What's new

Soap loading time

I'm trying to incorporate some soaps into my shaving routine, and am having some problems loading an adequate amount of soap onto the brush. Im wondering what actually determines how long you should be loading a soap....hardness? Brand? Ingredients? Brush type?

I currently own Proraso green, GFT Coconut and Stirling......the GFT soap seems useless.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

I'm trying to incorporate some soaps into my shaving routine, and am having some problems loading an adequate amount of soap onto the brush. Im wondering what actually determines how long you should be loading a soap....hardness? Brand? Ingredients? Brush type?

I currently own Proraso green, GFT Coconut and Stirling......the GFT soap seems useless.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
I generally load 30 seconds with a synthetic if I'm loading off puck and 45 seconds with a badger with boar.

- Fayiz D.

In my personal experience, harder soaps and/or softer brushes need longer loading times. Maybe 30+ seconds would do? Natural hair brushes need to load more material compared to synthetic for a decent lather. Honestly, I just go by feel and load till I'm satisfied. If you're dealing with hard soaps, I'd recommend soaking/blooming it first to soften the top layer for easier loading.

I have Proraso and consider it a soft soap; easy to load and require minimal to no blooming.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I agree with iskbar. It depends on the soap. Whether I Blume it or not not, the brush, is it triple milled? I load it until the tips are loaded with a pasty amount of soap. I go from there to a bowl and add water until I’ve whipped up the lather to the consistency I feel is right.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Usually about 30 seconds. It depends on how much lather I need, if I shave head and face or face alone. It depends on the soap. So there are variables.

With synthetic brushes, I load for 10-15 sec with a damp brush or scoop out an almond size.

With natural hair brushes, I load for 30 seconds and load more if the brush doesn't look filled with lather. Or I'll scoop out a bit more than almond size.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I just keep working the damp brush on hard soap puck until it’s packed with soap and lather. I add a few drops of water to the brush as I go. When it’s loaded I apply to my wet face, dipping the brush tips in water if needed. Never timed it, although some soaps are quicker than others.

After a while you develop a sense for how long to load. It may sound strange, but I can usually tell by listening when there is enough soap loaded into the brush. Always a good idea to double-check visually, but it's not the length of time or number or swirls, it's how much soap is loaded into the brush that really matters.

Thinking outside the box, trying weird stuff. Yesterday's shave: What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best) - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/what-did-you-use-today-rate-the-shave-1-10-10-best.568241/post-11204262

So, I did a little experiment - loaded for 3 seconds (not a typo). That is three.

My brush was Simpson Trafalgar T3, great brush btw.

So, the "method was" to wet the brush under running warm water and go right on swirling.

Result - enough for 2 passes.

That leads me to think that a 5 second load time is all I (will) need with A&E soaps.

I used to load for MUCH longer and always ended up with too much lather.

I agree with iskbar. It depends on the soap. Whether I Blume it or not not, the brush, is it triple milled? I load it until the tips are loaded with a pasty amount of soap. I go from there to a bowl and add water until I’ve whipped up the lather to the consistency I feel is right.

+2! Great advice! I use a similar approach, but prefer to face lather rather than going to the bowl. :a29:

Top Bottom