What's new

Soap ingredients information

Hello community. I have been traditional wet shaving with de razors for a little over a year. My fountain pen use of 20 years morphed into this wonderful experience. I try as many soaps and creams as possible....my lovely wife says too many. I am curious can you ladies and gentlemen tell me what some of the ingredients do to make the soaps work their magic? Thanks in advance. Warm regards Ron Eastman Lynn Massachusetts

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
1637502174062.jpeg

Good place to start is the ingredients of yours soaps you have on hand that please you.

IIRC @TBoner makes his own soap and has good tips on what to look for;

Here's a thread about soaps with least ingredients that is pretty informative;

I generally don't care about the ingredients, as long as the soap/cream works.

Parabens is about the only ingredient I try to avoid if I'm looking at ingredients.

Proraso Blue is the only lather product I use. No rotation, no dialling in, no reformulations, no hype, no drama, no version this or that. It just works.

I joined B&B, and started wetshaving, when I was 63. I was nearing retirement and enjoyed the new experience shaving more frequently than I did with foam/gel and carts. I probably fell down every rabbit hole there is on this site. My lovely wife didn't care how much I spent on wetshaving, as my previous obsession was silent films. To her, the more I spent on shaving, pipes, tobacco & pens, the fewer silent films I bought. She considered it a win for both of us.

I especially loved the bay rum scents because they faded quickly. However as I got into my 70s, certain soaps and scents (especially sandalwood, lavender, Tabac and others) began irritating my face or rosacea. Now 75, I've dialed back my love of scented soaps. My favorite soaps for several years have been RazoRock Plague Doctor, Captain's Choice Bay Rum and Stirling Ozark Mountain, which are easy to lather and easy on the face

As for aftershaves, I stick with just witch hazel, or Captain's Choice BR or Co9T and, (if you like a clove scent) Ogallala Bay Rum.

I think most soaps on the market are fairly harmless, so it's pretty much a personal preference about the scent and how much you're willing to spend on a product. Like with pretty much everything related to wet shaving, for some people having the newest best and most expensive thing of the week is a top priority, while others don't care that much and just use whatever works for them and stick to it. You know, the YMMV thing and stuff.

Also, like Steve said, Arko is hard to beat for the price and quality that offers.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I joined B&B, and started wetshaving, when I was 63. I was nearing retirement and enjoyed the new experience shaving more frequently than I did with foam/gel and carts. I probably fell down every rabbit hole there is on this site. My lovely wife didn't care how much I spent on wetshaving, as my previous obsession was silent films. To her, the more I spent on shaving, pipes, tobacco & pens, the fewer silent films I bought. She considered it a win for both of us.

I especially loved the bay rum scents because they faded quickly. However as I got into my 70s, certain soaps and scents (especially sandalwood, lavender, Tabac and others) began irritating my face or rosacea. Now 75, I've dialed back my love of scented soaps. My favorite soaps for several years have been RazoRock Plague Doctor, Captain's Choice Bay Rum and Stirling Ozark Mountain, which are easy to lather and easy on the face

As for aftershaves, I stick with just witch hazel, or Captain's Choice BR or Co9T and, (if you like a clove scent) Ogallala Bay Rum.
My God, you are older than I am! Truly an inspiration 😂. I enjoy Razorock soaps myself but use ARKO mostly - also Bay Rum is my winter favorite. I’m primarily a
“Codger” smoker as you may know from the Brown Leaf. Good to meet you here as well.

Hi Snowflake 12, You are right. I've found this to be an interesting topic personally to the point where I blend soaps with ingredients that optimize specific aspects of shaving (e.g. ease of lathering, slickness or cushion) to deliver a more optimal shaving experience.

Some posts and threads that I've read/contributed to/written that you may find interesting as they dive into or touch on soap ingredients.

Ingredients of inexpensive creams and soaps - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/ingredients-of-inexpensive-creams-and-soaps.604988/page-3#post-11199919

Good place to start is the ingredients of yours soaps you have on hand that please you.

IIRC @TBoner makes his own soap and has good tips on what to look for;

Here's a thread about soaps with least ingredients that is pretty informative;

Two excellent threads!:thumbup::thumbup:

Top Bottom