What's new

Soap from Recycled Cooking Oil (Deep Fryer)?

I was doing some reading and one soap maker recommended trading it to a biodiesel maker for the the brown glycerine that is a byproduct of the diesel making process. Thought that was an interesting approach.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I was doing some reading and one soap maker recommended trading it to a biodiesel maker for the the brown glycerine that is a byproduct of the diesel making process. Thought that was an interesting approach.
That is interesting!

unless you did it correctly, youd have a soap that smelled like anything that was fried in it. Hmm soap that smells like fried chicken.

And has anyone asked why the guy who sells shaving soap hasn't shaved in at least 10 years?

I’d like to nominate this for freakiest thread I’ve read on B&B to date. I joined in 2010. It’s almost enough to turn me back to Edge Gel.

I’d like to nominate this for freakiest thread I’ve read on B&B to date. I joined in 2010. It’s almost enough to turn me back to Edge Gel.
we have been using cosmetics and soaps for the last 130 years that start with random animals tossed into a big vat and mixed with chemicals like lye to make a nice little slurry we can wash with

Advantages and disadvantages[edit]
The rendering industry is one of the oldest recycling industries, and made possible the development of a large food industry. The industry takes what would otherwise be waste materials and makes useful products such as fuels, soaps, rubber, plastics, etc. At the same time, rendering solves what would otherwise be a major disposal problem. As an example, the USA recycles more than 21 million metric tons annually of highly perishable and noxious organic matter. In 2004, the U.S. industry produced over 8 million metric tons of products, of which 1.6 million metric tons were exported.
Usually, materials used as raw materials in the rendering process are susceptible to spoilage. However, after rendering, the materials are much more resistant to spoiling. This is due to the application of heat either through cooking in the wet rendering process or the extraction of fluid in the dry rendering process. The fat obtained can be used as low-cost raw material in making grease, animal feed, soap, candles, biodiesel, and as a feed-stock for the chemical industry. Tallow, derived from beef waste, is an important raw material in the steel rolling industry providing the required lubrication when compressing steel sheets.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Advantages and disadvantages[edit]
The rendering industry is one of the oldest recycling industries, and made possible the development of a large food industry. The industry takes what would otherwise be waste materials and makes useful products such as fuels, soaps, rubber, plastics, etc. At the same time, rendering solves what would otherwise be a major disposal problem. As an example, the USA recycles more than 21 million metric tons annually of highly perishable and noxious organic matter. In 2004, the U.S. industry produced over 8 million metric tons of products, of which 1.6 million metric tons were exported.
Usually, materials used as raw materials in the rendering process are susceptible to spoilage. However, after rendering, the materials are much more resistant to spoiling. This is due to the application of heat either through cooking in the wet rendering process or the extraction of fluid in the dry rendering process. The fat obtained can be used as low-cost raw material in making grease, animal feed, soap, candles, biodiesel, and as a feed-stock for the chemical industry. Tallow, derived from beef waste, is an important raw material in the steel rolling industry providing the required lubrication when compressing steel sheets.
"Alex, what is 'Soylent Green?'"

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Necro thread!

It’s probably gone rancid. It will work OK but smell bad, like old brown Cella. I would not count on the smell going away.

I am ready to make some soap tomorrow. The scent will be English fish and chips since my oil is already pre-scented. 🤪
43C2593B-0C8A-451B-9C62-BBE2F7468F7B.jpeg

Top Bottom