What's new

Soap Forum Member Spotlight Mullen88 #3

Well purveyors of the Soap Forum it is time for our third installment of our member spotlight.

I would like to introduce you to Sean @Mullen88 from Ontario, Canada.

1. Name, job field, age/generation:

Sean Mullen.
Operating/Power Engineer.
29 years old.

2. What’s the meaning behind your username?:

It's my last name and the year of my birth.

3. When did you join B&B and why did you join us?:

I joined B&B in June 2012. I was active for a while, took a few years off, now I'm back better than ever.

At the age of 21 I became completely fed up with the multi-blade cartridge razors and canned gunk. I had been shaving for about 9 years at that point (I began growing a substantial amount of facial hair at 12) and had never achieved a comfortable, close shave. I started noticing close shaves on other people and wondered how they got their quality results. I thought there must be a better way and became determined to find it. A couple of web pages later I ended up at B&B and am very thankful for that. In my hiatus there was an Artisanal Uprising and since my return I have left my old staples behind. The knowledge and experience on this forum is outstanding and the generosity and politeness is second to none. Very happy to be a part of it.

4. Talk to us about your acquisition disorders:

I have a really hard time turning down a new or Limited Edition soap. And with all these great artisans it has become increasingly hard to ward off temptation. Matching splashes and/or balms are also a weakness. I like scent alignment throughout a shave.

Of course Razor, Brush, Bowl, Blade, and Accessory AD kicks in sometimes but mainly it's soaps and aftershaves.

5. Favorite soap and why?:

My current favourite soap is Tallow + Steel Boreal. It smells like a forest in a jar. I enjoy a lot of other artisanal soaps and scents but if I was told I could only have one soap, this would be it. I judge a soap in three areas: Latherability, Glide, and Post-Shave Feel. T+S checks all the boxes but where it really stands out is Post-Shave Feel. The soap and matching aftershave give my skin a feeling that just blows me away.

6. How do you lather?:

99.996% of the time I face lather. It's extremely enjoyable to see the lather build on my skin.

7. Tallow vs. Veg vs. Glycerin:

I do enjoy Tallow very much but I've had great experiences with Vegan soaps as well. So, I think I'm going to have to say it's a tie between the two. Not a fan of Glycerin based soaps though.

8. 3017 or variety? If Variety have you ever used up a soap?

Variety. I've found it to be essential to achieve a high level of enjoyment each and every shave. I look forward to shaving every day and can't see that being the case with the same predictable scent and performance over and over again.

Yes, I've finished around 4 Jars of soap and countless...... creams. I have a few on the brink currently.

9. Did B&B introduce you to anything else? Like Nib, photography, etc.?:

I don't think so. It did give me a higher regard and understanding of fragrances though.

10. Favorite sub forum on B&B not named Soap?:

Shave Of The Day

11. Tell us a story:

Sadly, most of my stories contain debauchery that isn't appropriate for this venue. I apologize. When I was in high school my band opened for Alexisonfire which was quite exciting, but no story involved, sorry.

12. Soap or Cream?:

Soap.

Sean also provided a lovely picture of him and his family:

img_0447-jpg.834798

Thank you Sean for taking the time to answer our questions and being a member of B&B!

If you are interested in being spotlighted in the Soap Forum of B&B please go here:

Member Spotlights

Last edited:
Nice profile, Sean. Thanks for giving us a glimpse of your life. Interesting to have somebody give up on modern shaving stuff at such a young age.

Well done, @Mullen88! Most of your stories may not be printable, but you have made some good choices, too! I didn't start wet shaving until my late 40's. Impressive that you found this early on! I feel like the learner next to you experienced shavers!

Great spotlight! Enjoyed the read :a14:

Thank you for taking the time to read the interview. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Sean's preference for soaps just shows how intelligent us Canadians are. :jump:

Haha. I can't disagree.

Nice profile, Sean. Thanks for giving us a glimpse of your life. Interesting to have somebody give up on modern shaving stuff at such a young age.

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed it. After years of bad shaves I knew there was something better.

Thanks for sharing Sean.

Thank you for taking the time to read the interview. I'm happy you enjoyed it.

Well done, @Mullen88! Most of your stories may not be printable, but you have made some good choices, too! I didn't start wet shaving until my late 40's. Impressive that you found this early on! I feel like the learner next to you experienced shavers!

Thank you for taking the time to read the interview. I'm glad you enjoyed it. We're all learning no matter how much experience we have. Cheers.

Good stuff, @Mullen88 ! Thanks for sharing your experience!

Thank you for taking the time to read the interview. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

That's why he should learn cursive. :jump:

Haha. I'm an avid fountain pen enthusiast and practice the art of cursive almost everyday. Cheers.

Hey, thanks for participating and the read

Thanks for taking the time to read the interview. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks for participating!

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks for telling us a little about yourself.

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it.

Terrific interview! Thanks to you both!

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed it.

Top Bottom