What's new

Soap Forum Member Spotlight jjking54 #8

Well here we are in our 8th installment of the soap four member spotlight. I'd like to introduce you to Jason @jjking54 coming to us from Wisconsin.

1. Name, job field, age/generation:
Jason King ... I’m a Technical Writer for an IT company that provides software for the automotive industry. I’m 44, so I guess that makes me part of Generation X.
2. What’s the meaning behind your username?:
Well … look above J the 54 was my football number in high school and college.
3. When did you join B&B and why did you join us?:
I joined B&B back in 2014. I came via Google after I read about “Shaving like your Grandpa” on Art of Manliness. I was specifically looking for an answer to the razor bumps I’ve been plagued with on my necksince I started shaving.
4. Talk to us about your acquisition disorders:
Whew … well, where do I start? I’d say my first AD would be soaps. I love all the different scents and formulations. I’m a sucker for limited releases or seasonals. At first I thought I wouldn’t be one of“those guys” who always paired his aftershave with his soap, but as time has gone on, I’ve become one of those guys, so number 2, right behind my soap AD, is my aftershave AD. I only have three brushes and while I do, at time, consider buying another, I haven’t. Andonce I found my blades, I’m content to use them and no others.

This year my main AD has been Bourbon ... as I explore different ones in my Year of Bourbon.
5. Favorite soap and why?:
Favorite soap? Hands down, Barrister and MannLeviathan. Funny thing is, I bought it, smelled it when it arrived and thought there was no way I was ever going to use it. I thought it smelled horrible. Like wet newspapers or wet garbage. But then I lathered it … between the performance and the scent, it absolutelycaptivates me. I love it.

To that end, I’m definitely a Barrister and Mann fanboy. Something about their soaps and scents that I’m just completely on board with. Granted, some of thescents I didn’t like (Night Music and Lavanille come to mind), but so many of the others are just right in my wheelhouse.
6. How do you lather?:
I’m a face latherer. I started with the bowl, but struggled to get consistent lather, so I switched to face and never really looked back. There are times when I consider going back to the bowl, but if it ain’t broke … why bother?
7. Tallow vs. Veg vs. Glycerin:
Looking at my soap stash, my preference is definitely tallow, but I’ve had good luck with vegetable based soaps as well. Early iterations of Maggard soaps as well as current Soap Commander offerings come to mind.
8. 3017 or variety? If Variety have you ever used up a soap?
Variety. If I have to guess, I’ve probably only finished a handful of soaps … one tub of Leviathan, sticks of Arko and La Toja too. There are too many soaps I love to smell when I lather and I could never settle on one for several months. Worse, I only shave every other day so I use less over time, and to me that makes the experience of choosing a soap on the days I do shave so much more enjoyable.
9. Did B&B introduce you to anything else? Like Nib, photography, etc.?:
Fountain pens were something new to me. I’m a writer by trade, and I spent several years as a newspaper reporter, so for me, there’s something very enjoyableabout putting pen to paper. It’s been fun checking out new pens, and experiencing quality paper, though I haven’t really completely fallen through the rabbit hole.
10. Favorite sub forum on B&B not named Soap?:
Aftershave. It’s my new AD.
11. Tell us a story:
A story … I went to college in the Chicago suburbs. During my last two years of college, I worked part time at a Merle Harmon’s Fan Fare … which, for those who don’t know, sold sports apparel, jerseys, hats, etc. Our store was in the north suburbs, and about 20 minutes from where the Chicago Bears practice.

One day I’m at work, listening to sports radio and find out that William the Refrigerator Perry had been cut by the Bears that day. An hour or two later, in lumbers this mountain of a man. I didn’t realize just who it was until I talked to him about a Starter pullover … and when he smiled, the gap in his teeth gave him away. I was assisting the Fridge! I’d watched him in the Super Bowl. It was a surreal moment. During the course of our conversation he asks if he can get a discount on the merch he wanted. I had to call the manager and the manager said no! LOL … I had to go back and tell the Fridge, “Nope, you’ve got to pay full price.”

He did … pulling a WAD of cash out of his pocket. Such a weird day.

I also had an interesting encounter with RichardSimmons while sitting in traffic one day.
12. Soap or Cream?:
Soaps, hands down. I started with CO Bigelow cream in a tube and while nice, it didn’t protect me the way I needed it to. I’ve tried a couple other creams since then and it’s just no contest.

Here's a picture of Jason. And as he mentioned his year of bourbon. That thread is a great read and highly recommended.
569388-491dee4ac1e5a4213c36cd78c7386326.jpg

Thanks Jason for doing the Spotlight. If you want to be showcased in the soap forum head here. Member Spotlights

Cool story about the Fridge! Funny about the soaps and aftershaves, my path was similar. Whatever you do don't get into vintage Avon aftershaves.....lol enabling I couldn't help it:001_tt2:

Top Bottom