What's new

Soap for head shaving

While I know any soap can be used for head shaving what soap would you say is cheap enough, but has enough good properties of slickness and post shave affect to use every other day for the dome without breaking the bank. I’ve just started shaving the dome due to balding so looking at options. Also, what’s recommended to use post shave on the head: AS, balm, anything, ?

Thanks for this. I had always read or heard not to use AS on the head as sweating can cause it to drip down into your eyes or such.

I really enjoy using La Toja stick for head shaving, here in Europe it's extremely cheap. (around 1,5 EUR per stick) Performance-wise, I rank it very highly amongst several Artisan soap bases. If you don't like using it in stick format, you can always grate it into a tub.

Stirling is generally my go to. It is amazingly slick and the cost ratio is quite a bargain.
As far as post shave, it depends on your skin. I used to get sort of dry, flaky skin on the top of my head after shaving it, which I always thought was some sort of dermatitis, or razor burn. I would slather on greasy balms to try and soothe it. But long story short, when I switched to quality soap, that skin issue completely went away.

I have always used what soap/creme I was using on my face. I also use a shaving oil. For after the shave I have been using Lucky Tiger.

I usually use whatever soap I used for my face shave if I have enough lather remaining. If I didn't load enough and need a little extra or I just want a head shave, I go with a stick of Arko in a twist-up tube. It's easy to apply, easy to lather, provides more than enough cushion and slickness, and was relatively inexpensive at $12 for 900 grams (~31.75 ounces) delivered to my mailbox.

As for aftershave, witch hazel followed by whatever balm I use for my face to help avoid dry skin.

Good luck...

Last edited:
Pre-shave is important. I've got oily skin so a few minutes of scalp massage followed by warm water is all I need.

Arko stick and head lather with a 26mm synthetic Yaqi brush. Both are very budget friendly and work great.

Can't recommend what I use as aftershave, though: rubbing alcohol (YMMV)

Reactions: bjm
Arko, palmolive, speick, la toja, Tabac (only ever used tallow) and cella red you can't go wrong with. As a fellow headshaver these work just as good if not better than MANY soaps available today. They are cheap and in fact the aforementioned is all i use now. Also AS is your friend! You cannot go wrong with AV Blue or Musk for starters.

Top Bottom