What's new

Soap for eczema?

Dove is not soap.

Yep, it's a detergent bar.

Ten years ago I would never have recommended this. Yardley's modern lavender bar is what I would have suggested.

But time, age, and trying new things to relieve issues that has crept up have changed my opinion.

If anything give it a try. Hopefully it will help as it did me.

Chris

Ten years ago I would never have recommended this. Yardley's modern lavender bar is what I would have suggested.

But time, age, and trying new things to relieve issues that has crept up have changed my opinion.

Chris
The American Yardley Lavender soap actually burns me. I have no problem with the upmarket UK and former German versions.

410vr-2RdxL.jpg

Dove is not soap.

Well, it is a bit of hybrid of detergent and soaps

It isn't "Pure" either. It has a number of additives. It is no Aleppo soap for sure.

Dove’s ‘Real’ Beauty Products Are Filled With Cancer-Causing Chemicals, Fake Dyes And Toxic Fragrance.

Perhaps not as alkaline as a pure soap, so some people with PH sensitive skin may benefit, but it is still washing away your biome and stripping your skin of natural oils, etc (as any other soap will do).

These are some great suggestions. I, too, get eczema on my hands. I often get eczema around my 14K gold wedding ring. I've tried cleaning the ring in an ultrasonic cleaner and also using a jewelry shield allergy coating on the inside, with some success.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
These are some great suggestions. I, too, get eczema on my hands. I often get eczema around my 14K gold wedding ring. I've tried cleaning the ring in an ultrasonic cleaner and also using a jewelry shield allergy coating on the inside, with some success.
OMG! My wedding ring was what set my eczema off! 14 carat gold. First couple years were fine, then I couldn't even wear it.

Could you give me a list of the products that have helped you? I still cannot wear my ring to this day!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OMG! My wedding ring was what set my eczema off! 14 carat gold. First couple years were fine, then I couldn't even wear it.

Could you give me a list of the products that have helped you? I still cannot wear my ring to this day!

I've had pretty good results with Jewelry Shield, available from Amazon for under $10. You'll notice in the reviews that some didn't find it helpful. The key, I think, is to use multiple thin coats (3-5) and let each coat fully dry before applying the next. You may want to give it a try since you're not out a lot of money. 14K gold, while it wears well, is only about 2/3 gold, with additional filler metals that can cause skin allergies. I've read that nickel allergy is the most common. If you try it out, let us know if it works for you. There are a lot of folks with ring-related skin eczema.

Well, it is a bit of hybrid of detergent and soaps

It isn't "Pure" either. It has a number of additives. It is no Aleppo soap for sure.

Dove’s ‘Real’ Beauty Products Are Filled With Cancer-Causing Chemicals, Fake Dyes And Toxic Fragrance.

Perhaps not as alkaline as a pure soap, so some people with PH sensitive skin may benefit, but it is still washing away your biome and stripping your skin of natural oils, etc (as any other soap will do).

Gotta say I'm not very impressed by the pseudo-scientists like Erin Elizabeth who try to work people into a lather (sic) over fear of ingredients with hard to pronounce names, especially when it's just a ploy to sell self-branded snake oil, like 25 dollar "tooth remineralizing powder" which is (of course) "detoxifying".

Lifestyle products indeed!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I've had pretty good results with Jewelry Shield, available from Amazon for under $10. You'll notice in the reviews that some didn't find it helpful. The key, I think, is to use multiple thin coats (3-5) and let each coat fully dry before applying the next. You may want to give it a try since you're not out a lot of money. 14K gold, while it wears well, is only about 2/3 gold, with additional filler metals that can cause skin allergies. I've read that nickel allergy is the most common. If you try it out, let us know if it works for you. There are a lot of folks with ring-related skin eczema.
Thank you very much!

Gotta say I'm not very impressed by the pseudo-scientists like Erin Elizabeth who try to work people into a lather (sic) over fear of ingredients with hard to pronounce names, especially when it's just a ploy to sell self-branded snake oil, like 25 dollar "tooth remineralizing powder" which is (of course) "detoxifying".

Lifestyle products indeed!

Its the detoxifying bit which is the key part obviously. It is no good if it isnt detoxifying

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
After rereading the comments about using oils rather than soaps, it seems I am 10 years behind the times. I am going to wally world to purchase some oils to try out.

My one remaining question is, how do you shave? If you are going to avoid body soaps wouldn't you have to do the same with shave soaps?

An update: I decided to go for a more long-lasting solution to the ring-caused eczema. I got my wedding ring coated on the inside with Rhodium (cost $50) For the past three weeks since the coating was applied, I have had no eczema

I had dermatitis on my hands until I switched to Cetaphil. Most hand soaps are far too harsh. I only use the heavy-duty stuff when my hands are grimey or oily.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I had dermatitis on my hands until I switched to Cetaphil. Most hand soaps are far too harsh. I only use the heavy-duty stuff when my hands are grimey or oily.
I had patients in the "rest home" setting that had prescriptions for this. You are wise in treating your largest organ with the care it deserves.

For those with allergies or reactions to their rings, it's often due to the alloying metals present. You could try a titanium ring. Titanium is the most biocompatible metal and very few have allergies to it.

As far as soap for skin issues, Grandpa's Pine Tar is a good one. A castile soap like Dr. Bronners is another good option.

For those with allergies or reactions to their rings, it's often due to the alloying metals present. You could try a titanium ring. Titanium is the most biocompatible metal and very few have allergies to it.

As far as soap for skin issues, Grandpa's Pine Tar is a good one. A castile soap like Dr. Bronners is another good option.

"Dr" Bronners was a quack who gave himself a doctorate to sell soap. The castille soaps are far from pure and include a number of potential irritant ingredients.

If you want a simple soap, just buy something like Aleppo or Savon du 'M. which has genuinely nothing in it but soap and isn't marketed and thus priced for the hipster market.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
"Dr" Bronners was a quack who gave himself a doctorate to sell soap. The castille soaps are far from pure and include a number of potential irritant ingredients.

If you want a simple soap, just buy something like Aleppo or Savon du 'M. which has genuinely nothing in it but soap and isn't marketed and thus priced for the hipster market.
Agreed. Using Dr bronners was what set off my eczema in the first place

Chris

Dove is what my dermatologist recommend years ago in the dark days when Ivory was king. I used it for years as a teenager and young adult.

Top Bottom