What's new

Soap: Flat side up/round down or round up/flat down?

Which way do you place your soap? I think I read that someone had tried it flat side down, curve up (wrong way?) and it allowed them to lather it up easier.

Thoughts?

Soaps that come in a wooden bowl have the flat side up, but I generally buy the refills and toss them in a mug...and by design, flat side down works better. Also, IMO, with the "dome" side up, it is easier to work the soap into the brush. YMMV.

Randy

This discussion is worthy of Johnathan Swift! And which end do you remove when eating a coddled egg? Why I must remove the a big end!:lol:

I think it's more personal preference. I typically put them round side down as bowls taper inward at the bottom. If the bowl is slightly too large for the soap to fit snugly, I might put the soap in flat side down to minimize movement.

-Nick

Interesting question.

So how do we categorize this guy? :)

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Richard,

Given the cylindrical shape of that soap (arko I presume?), I can think of one bowl in particular that's custom made for it. :tongue_sm

But seriously, how DO you work up a lather with that bad boy?

-Nick

Coche_y_bondhu said:
Interesting question.

So how do we categorize this guy? :)

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX

full

I believe you would use that as a shave stick!

Randy

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Nick,

You crack me up :lol: !

I have dumped a lot of products in that bowl (toiletry products, Randy), but Arko shave soap will definitely not meet that fate. It is much too good to dispose of. I lather directly on top of the soap in the classicshaving jar and the lather it produces is surprising. You can just keep swirling the brush in the jar and the lather can just be scooped out it is that thick.

Randy,

The soap comes in a wrapper so I guess you can peel back the wrapper as you use it and then wrap it back up? I guess you could also cut it up into little disks and lay them in the bottom of your mug. Or you can try your custom melting?

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX

Coche_y_bondhu said:
Hello Nick,

You crack me up :lol: !

I have dumped a lot of products in that bowl (toiletry products, Randy), but Arko shave soap will definitely not meet that fate. It is much too good to dispose of. I lather directly on top of the soap in the classicshaving jar and the lather it produces is surprising. You can just keep swirling the brush in the jar and the lather can just be scooped out it is that thick.

Randy,

The soap comes in a wrapper so I guess you can peel back the wrapper as you use it and then wrap it back up? I guess you could also cut it up into little disks and lay them in the bottom of your mug. Or you can try your custom melting?
Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX

Richard,

You might slice off a SMALL piece and give it a 5-6 second zap and see what happens. If it melts, try shaving with it to see if anything has changed. If things are still good, give the rest about a 12 second shot. The times are just estimates.

Randy

There is no need to microwave the arko soap. It is soft enough that I was able just to rip chunks off and mash it into a plastic container and smoothed it out with my fingers- very easy.

proxy.php

I put it with the smaller, rounded end down, because that is the only way it fits in my old spice mug. I don't see how it would really matter though as far as how it lathers. They (old spice mug size) fit very well in the 8oz zipolock tupperwear containers with the flat side down.

Top Bottom