What's new

Soap/Cream recommendations that wow!

Hi everyone. Please forgive me if this post is in the wrong place. I'm creating this post in the hopes that I can get some really good, quality recommendations for either shaving soaps or creams that have really impressed you. Ones that have really stood out to you and that are currently available. What I'm looking for are recommendations based on actual use and not just hearsay. The more experience you have wet shaving the better.

So, my story goes that I'm at the end of my current shave soap and am in desperate need of a replacement. Don't ask me what my current one is because I honestly don't remember. I know its English and was a puck. Its lasted me for 7 / 8 years, so that plus my poor short term (and apparently long term) memory has made it so that I don't recall exactly

I'd say that my preference is on the soap side but do like and am open to creams. With that said about all my exposure to creams has been with Proraso Red (sandalwood) and Green (eucalyptus). My soap rotation was rather small as well. I occasionally use a Geo. F. Trumper
Eucris puck and a Palmolive stick from Germany I believe. It says "stiftung warentest" on it.

What I'd like to try is something new to me that will not only wow me but also my lady. She isn't really a fan of my Eucris soap scent but did give me a wow when I used my Proraso Red the other day, which was the first time I used it in a while. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Grooming Dept is the best if you want quality soap and skin conditioning, IMO. But it's not cheap and hard to get. The scents he makes are elaborate which is not something I care for. Besides that, Go for MDC. A puck will last a long time, it lathers in seconds and the scents are nice. If you weigh the cost to how long it lasts, you wouldn't believe how much savings it can be. Buy 3 and you could have lather for many years!

Narrow the field a bit! Do you want to guess how many shaving soaps are available out there? Can you try to find out what kind of scents she likes? Maybe unscented would work?

Do you have a budget in mind?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
When being “wowed” counts, it can only be…

1651711909347.jpeg

Though many people who are better at shaving than me and have refined tastes seem to enjoy Baume.be shaving cream (never the puck).

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Here are a couple B&B threads I used when selecting my soaps and creams... I'm a newbie and really needed some sound advice.

Grooming Dept is the best if you want quality soap and skin conditioning, IMO. But it's not cheap and hard to get. The scents he makes are elaborate which is not something I care for. Besides that, Go for MDC. A puck will last a long time, it lathers in seconds and the scents are nice. If you weigh the cost to how long it lasts, you wouldn't believe how much savings it can be. Buy 3 and you could have lather for many years!
I'm not sure what MDC is. Please clarify but thank you on the recommendation for Grooming Dept. I'll definitely check them out.

Narrow the field a bit! Do you want to guess how many shaving soaps are available out there? Can you try to find out what kind of scents she likes? Maybe unscented would work?

Do you have a budget in mind?
It's not a specific scent I'm going for. I'm just looking for what experienced wet shavers find to be the best of the best in their person opinion. I know there are thousands upon thousands of options. That's great in my opinion but as most of us know, a good shaving soap will go a long way.

What is your recommendation based on your personal experience?

Mike's Natural Soaps. Orange, Cedarwood, & Black Pepper is my all-time favorite scent. Hungarian Lavender is also amazing, and I enjoy his Peppermint & Rosemary during the summer.
I like your recommendation as I also think similarly about some being better for warmer weather and some being better for colder weather. I typically always shaved my Proraso Red for winter and Green for summer.

Here are a couple B&B threads I used when selecting my soaps and creams... I'm a newbie and really needed some sound advice.

Thank you for the links, I appreciate it. Looks like I've got some reading to do. Lol.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@thombrogan @rbscebu I've never used Arko but as long as I've been around here, I seen more loyalty to that soap than any other. I'll definitely have to give it a shot.
I very much doubt that you will be disappointed.

ARKO stick is my main shaving soap. I do have about 10 others that I use, for variety, but ARKO should meet your criteria. It's also cheap.

I very much doubt that you will be disappointed.

ARKO stick is my main shaving soap. I do have about 10 others that I use, for variety, but ARKO should meet your criteria. It's also cheap.
I do have a Palmolive stick from EU and it works very well. I always enjoy using it. Its very short now so I'll go with Arko for it's replacement. Is there a place you prefer to source yours from?

I'm not sure what MDC is. Please clarify but thank you on the recommendation for Grooming Dept. I'll definitely check them out.
Martin de Candre ;)

I'd love to try the Fougere (Fern) one but is a bit pricey and sold out at a popular source. I'll keep an eye out for this one and pull the trigger on it when I can.

...What is your recommendation based on your personal experience?
I'm afraid I don't use the hyper-expensive soaps and not many artisan soaps. I guess I could tell you some products that perform very well with scents women seemed to like. First would be Pre de Provence #63 soap with the matching balm. Second would be Provence Sante Green Tea with the matching aftershave. Since you have been using English and German soaps for awhile, these would give you a chance to try something French.
🇫🇷

Since these are hard soaps, they end up being very long lasting and economical to use. When used with the matching aftershaves, they also both give the skin a smooth, moisturized post-shave feel for several hours after your shave.

I'm afraid I don't use the hyper-expensive soaps and not many artisan soaps. I guess I could tell you some products that perform very well with scents women seemed to like. First would be Pre de Provence #63 soap with the matching balm. Second would be Provence Sante Green Tea with the matching aftershave. Since you have been using English and German soaps for awhile, these would give you a chance to try something French.
🇫🇷

Since these are hard soaps, they end up being very long lasting and economical to use. When used with the matching aftershaves, they also both give the skin a smooth, moisturized post-shave feel.
I love this! Thank you for your recommendation.

I think I'm definitely going to buy the #63 soap and if I like it, which most likely I will. I'm then going to pick up the aftershave balm. I've not yet looked into the Sante Green Tea but will check it out online.

Thanks again.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I do have a Palmolive stick from EU and it works very well. I always enjoy using it. Its very short now so I'll go with Arko for it's replacement. Is there a place you prefer to source yours from?
My last purchase was in bulk from Turkey via AliExpress. They cost me under use USD 2 each including shipping. One arko stick lasts me about 150 to 200 shaves.

Perhaps someone living nearer to you could PIF you an ARKO stick to try.

Top Bottom