What's new

Soap Commander vs. Reef Point

Do you prefer Soap Commander or Reef Point shaving soap?

• Soap Commander

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Reef Point

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
I've been browsing offerings from both of these soapmakers and I noticed that they have two varieties (Soap Commander's "Vision" and Reef Point's "Test Depth") that sound very similar as far as fragrance notes are concerned.

If anyone has used soaps made by both companies, can you say which one you prefer and why? I understand one key difference is that Reef Point makes tallow soaps and Soap Commander's soaps are vegan, but that distinction isn't enough to sway me one way or the other. Any thoughts are welcome.

I have not tried either soap. My personal preference is for tallow soaps, but there are some excellent vegan soaps as well. Soap Commander has been recommended by Mantic59 (Sharpologist) as one of his top ten shave soaps.

I have both and the scents are EXACTLY the same. To the point that I was upset that I have two different soaps that smell the same. Reef Point has the leg up on performance IMO.

Blackship Grooming's Shipwreck Cove also has this exact scent. They must all use the same oils.

I have both and the scents are EXACTLY the same. To the point that I was upset that I have two different soaps that smell the same. Reef Point has the leg up on performance IMO.

Blackship Grooming's Shipwreck Cove also has this exact scent. They must all use the same oils.
Is there a glaring difference in the performance between Soap Commander and Reef Point or is it more subtle? Thanks for letting me know the scent was exactly the same--that's kind of what I figured but I didn't want to assume. Like you said, must be the same fragrance oils used between all of them.

SC i think probably the best vegan soap i have ... i also tried PdP, Varesino, Cattie's, La Toja, Phoenix AA .. but SC is the favorite...

I have used both, but not in that fragrance. Both performed well, but I would say that Reef Point was better in terms of ease of lathering and quality of lather.

Anyone know if Reef Point's Classic Barbershop matches Soap Commander Honor?

I've been looking for a matching splash for the latter.

Soap Commander is one of my favorite soaps. It's very slick and builds a soft cushiony lather if you let it. Or you can water it down a bit more and get less "poof" and a bit more slickness. The scent of Vision is really nice with a noticeable, but light cooling sensation from the mint. Soap Commander is easy to lather.

Reef Point works well also, though I initially had a lot of trouble with it. Reef Point is harder and until you "break through" the top layer, it doesn't load very easily. After I figured that out and started loading for longer, I got MUCH better lathers. Now that the soap has a softened top layer (from being used and exposed to water) it's easier to load; plus I know what to expect. The face feel of Reef Point is very good. It's nice and soft and creamy like most tallow based soaps. Not the best face feel of my soaps, but very good. The slickness is a step down from Soap Commander. It's good, but Soap Commander is a distinct step up in my opinion. Reef Point builds a good lather, but I honestly like the overall lather of Soap Commander better.

Finally, the Reef Point seems to cause me some mild face irritation. It's not bad at all. It's also not the first soap to do this. I guess I have sensitive skin.

I like both soaps a lot. But I would favor Soap Commander.

Brian.

I have used both. I continue to use Reef Point.

proxy.php

Top Bottom