What's new

Soap burn?

Looking at ingredient lists I think it's the proportion of potassium hydroxide that gives me a mild burn. I have trouble with most creams I've tried but only one brand of soap - Henri et Victoria.
Even Cella has mixed reviews. Seems creams have fewer negative reviews. I think I'll try the Ach Brito next. Everyone raves about it.

So excuse my total newb question. Does soap typically burn vs cream? I picked up my first soap and it gave me a significant burning sensation. I have used several creams and never had any reactions or anything. I didn’t have any lasting effects, just discomfort while the lather was on my face. Is this a common thing with soap or does this seem like a fluke situation?
I’ve found one soap that burns my skin. That’s Col Conk Almond. Figure it must be whatever they use for the Almond or Cherry scent, no problem with any other Conk soaps or Van Der Hagen either.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I had a pretty bad reaction to Bannister and Mann's Passiflora this past Tuesday.... my face was still a bit sore when I shaved today. It's too bad because the soap performed well and the scent was pleasant.

I had a pretty bad reaction to Bannister and Mann's Passiflora this past Tuesday.... my face was still a bit sore when I shaved today. It's too bad because the soap performed well and the scent was pleasant.

Passiflora contains cinnamon which can be a sensitizer for some shavers. Although I am slightly sensitive to cinnamon, I was able to use Passiflora without a problem. Everyone is different in this regard.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Passiflora contains cinnamon which can be a sensitizer for some shavers. Although I am slightly sensitive to cinnamon, I was able to use Passiflora without a problem. Everyone is different in this regard.
I should have consulted you before I bought it.... do you think (best guess) I'm going to have issues with the Musgo Real Classic or Orange Amber creams? I realize this is asking for speculation... but I own both and am a bit reluctant to try them at this point.

For the next few shaves, I'm going to stick with the Canada Shaving Soap..... it has no scent ingredients to mess up my skin. It's still recovering from Tuesday's shave, even this morning...

So far the only soap that caused a reaction for me is Paolo Barrasso Red. It gives me a bit of a burn and makes my face red for a few hours. It’s awesome, and something that definitely gives me added enjoyment, since shaving is a lot about the tactile sensations. The matching aftershave splash burns me too, so I guess it could be one of the fragrance oils that causes the reaction.

I should have consulted you before I bought it.... do you think (best guess) I'm going to have issues with the Musgo Real Classic or Orange Amber creams? I realize this is asking for speculation... but I own both and am a bit reluctant to try them at this point.

For the next few shaves, I'm going to stick with the Canada Shaving Soap..... it has no scent ingredients to mess up my skin. It's still recovering from Tuesday's shave, even this morning...
Like I said earlier, every one is different, so it is difficult to predict. Here is my best guess.

I have not used Musgo Real, but the classic scent contains a combination of bergamot, neroli, patchouli, lavender, violet and vetiver. Generally, the orange type citrus: orange, mandarin, bergamot and neroli are not as sensitizing as the yellow fruits like lemon, grapefruit and lime.

The Orange Amber scent has notes of Petitgrain, Lemon, lavender, Orange blossom, and musk. Petigrain is distilled from the leaves and branches of the bitter orange tree. Thus, is a similar to Triple Sec. Since lemon is the next note, I would not chose that scent for my face, but you might be different.

Muscgo Real is based on palm oil and palm kernel oil. Many soaps made in the EU now are based on those oils rather than tallow and stearic acid. Personally, I do not find soaps based on palmates to be as protective of sensitive skin as stearic acid and tallow based soaps. Since I have not tried Musgo Real, I cannot recommend it. I am sure there are those who love it. I just have not read many reviews of the soap and those I have come across have been many years old. The past couple of years have seen some fantastic artisan soaps flood the market, so I do not put much faith in reviews that old as choices were much more limited back then.

I sometimes get a slight burning under my nose (but nowhere else) when using Stirling. Kind of a bummer, as it is otherwise a fantastic soap. I don't think I have a lanolin allergy, as I have no reaction to MWF.

I sometimes get a slight burning under my nose (but nowhere else) when using Stirling. Kind of a bummer, as it is otherwise a fantastic soap. I don't think I have a lanolin allergy, as I have no reaction to MWF.
Which Stirling scent gives you that irritation? Stirling make so many scents that it is not fair to just say Stirling causes irritation pf your upper lip. If you like the performance, try another scent. I have not tried Stirling, but Ruds Shaves gives it a shave score of 91 which is very good. However, I prefer soaps that he rates 98 and higher as well as several that have been released since his last video.

MWF does not have quite as much lanolin as is implied by the name. Lanolin is listed 14th in prominence in the ingredient list, so there is not much in the formula.

Which Stirling scent gives you that irritation? Stirling make so many scents that it is not fair to just say Stirling causes irritation pf your upper lip. If you like the performance, try another scent. I have not tried Stirling, but Ruds Shaves gives it a shave score of 91 which is very good. However, I prefer soaps that he rates 98 and higher as well as several that have been released since his last video.

MWF does not have quite as much lanolin as is implied by the name. Lanolin is listed 14th in prominence in the ingredient list, so there is not much in the formula.

Ive used South Padre and Sandalwood. I get less of a reaction from Sandalwood

I tried Trigodon shaving soap with lilac fragrance 3 days ago. I had burning sensation. I couldn't shave with it and washed the lather off. I don't have same discomfort with other trigodon shaving soap like white dunes or deflavra. May be it's the fragrance which is causing the irritation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom