What's new

Soap burn?

So excuse my total newb question. Does soap typically burn vs cream? I picked up my first soap and it gave me a significant burning sensation. I have used several creams and never had any reactions or anything. I didn’t have any lasting effects, just discomfort while the lather was on my face. Is this a common thing with soap or does this seem like a fluke situation?

I get a burning sensation with a few soaps and creams too. I haven’t been able to narrow it down to a specific ingredient yet. The worst offender was Antica Barbieria Colla shaving cream. A real shame because it was an excellent cream in all other regards.

It’s seems to be luck if the draw if you have sensitive skin. I don’t think it’s necessarily a soap vs cream thing.

I get a burning sensation with a few soaps and creams too. I haven’t been able to narrow it down to a specific ingredient yet. The worst offender was Antica Barbieria Colla shaving cream. A real shame because it was an excellent cream in all other regards.

It’s seems to be luck if the draw if you have sensitive skin. I don’t think it’s necessarily a soap vs cream thing.
I’ve never really thought that I had sensitive skin. That’s sort of what threw me off.

Probably you have a skin sensitivity to an ingredient, such as an essential oil or fragrance. This would not be a problem for all soaps, though.

Just to give a few examples, some Italian soaps use benzaldehyde, that can trigger skin reaction in a few people. Some soaps contain lanolin, that can be a problem for a small percentage. Some soaps have a high pH, that could cause a problem for a small fraction if the soap remains on the skin too long.

What soap is it? Contain menthol?
1B9B0E1E-CFCF-40D6-8C5F-C54D5339D448.jpeg

Ha. No.

Probably you have a skin sensitivity to an ingredient, such as an essential oil or fragrance. This would not be a problem for all soaps, though.

Just to give a few examples, some Italian soaps use benzaldehyde, that can trigger skin reaction in a few people. Some soaps contain lanolin, that can be a problem for a small percentage. Some soaps have a high pH, that could cause a problem for a small fraction if the soap remains on the skin too long.
Thanks. I just don’t want to try other soaps if the sensation is typical to soaps. In that case I would stick to creams. It wasn’t unbearable or anything, but I wet shave because it is a joy.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I have had very bad burning sensation from a couple of soaps. One was L’Occitane Cade. Just can’t use it. Another was an artisan soap. Maybe one more but I can’t remember what it was.

Other than that I’ve had pretty good success with most soaps, as far as burning goes.

I found this once and put the soap to the side. A couple of weeks later tried it again and still, I got the burning. It only happened with one soap so I can't figure out what caused it. The maker of that soap is top-notch and I have others from that name but only the one gave me an issue.

So, Yes it's possible but don't blame it on sensitive skin. I think it's an ingredient thing that doesn't agree with you.

I'm thinking that it's not a soap verses cream issue and I certainly wouldn't give up on soaps after only trying one.

I've tried about 60 different soaps and have had four that are noteworthy in terms of causing a burning sensation.
  1. Boellis 1924 Panama - Caused a severe burning sensation that caused my face to get blotchy red and the burning lasted all day. It was horrible! Really wished this one had worked out since it makes a great lather and I loved the scent.
  2. Stirling Sandalwood - Bad burning sensation that lasted about an hour after rinsing it off. I've never had problems with any other Sandalwood soap or cream.
  3. PannaCrema PURE20 Vetiver - Burned wile shaving, but then went away after rinsing.
  4. LaToja - Slight burning sensation while shaving, but not so bad that it makes it unusable.

So excuse my total newb question. Does soap typically burn vs cream? I picked up my first soap and it gave me a significant burning sensation. I have used several creams and never had any reactions or anything. I didn’t have any lasting effects, just discomfort while the lather was on my face. Is this a common thing with soap or does this seem like a fluke situation?
When I use Cella red I notice my face looks more flushed afterwards, but I don't get any burning or irritation from it, unless I nick myself. It is the only soap I use that contains tallow, so maybe that is the culprit. I hope you find a soap that you enjoy!🙂 I might recommend Pre De Provence #63. It is my number one soap and it lasts forever! Smells great too

Some soaps were hard to get along with. Cella Red irritated my skin (albeit mildly) but Cella brick did not. The old Cade puck made my skin burn by the second pass. There was another one (not sure if it was Osma or Provence Sante) that made my skin feel really tight after the shave. If I used it for two or three days straight, my face would chap badly. Even a decent post-shave balm couldn't mitigate the issue.

There were also a couple of creams that caused me problems. Proraso Green was one. I think Cade was the second. Can't remember what the third was except that it came in a tub instead of a tube.

Compared to the number of products that didn't give me trouble, these episodes are exceptions rather than the rule. I think each of us eventually comes across stuff that our skin dislikes.

soaps typically actually have better formulations and weaker scents than creams so I don't think that they are inherently more aggravating to skin. Could be lanolin, cinnamon or its extracts, almond or its extracts, menthol, certain essential oils and fragrance (particularly wood, spice, citrus and almond heavy scents) all are possible allergens. It could be the mix, it could be one specific thing you are reacting to. Its hard to tell if you haven't used different things from the same brand or similar scents etc. Check the ingredients and see if any of these are present. I made a list a little while back of the most common irritants if you check through my post history.

I may give it a go again. Any recommendations for beginner friendly soaps that also have samples available so I don’t end up with 4 ounces of face napalm?

I may give it a go again. Any recommendations for beginner friendly soaps that also have samples available so I don’t end up with 4 ounces of face napalm?
Are you open to unscented soaps?

You may want to look for soaps that have been dermatologically tested. Generally, look for soaps with light scents that have a short ingredient list using simple ingredients.

Something like Cella Extra Extra Bio in the green tub, for example.

Look up shave stores. A lot of them do samples of soaps. Depending on your location you might find one right in town. Some other members here will come in with some names but I haven't bought testers in so long...

And keep a lookout for soap PIFs or giveaways. You could get some for free if you are lucky.

Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars gives me a bay rum style burn when I use it, but there are no lasting effects. I have no idea why that one soap gets me.

You may want to try Soap Commander soaps as they tend to have more skin friendly fragrance ingredients.

Without telling us which soap it was we can only guess. But usual suspect is sesitivity to certain ingredients (essential oils, lanolin,...). For me one of main culprits is menthol. My skin just doesn't like it. I also can't use L'occitane shave soap and balm, both are burning for me

If you feel a burn or have skin discoloration it is probably a sign that something in the soap or the proportions of the ingredients of that particular batch is out of whack and is reacting with your skin. This is definitely not a general thing for soaps. I have run into this issue with inconsistent batches from an artisan soap maker where one sample worked fine with my skin but the next burned my skin. I have only run into this issue a couple of times in all my time shaving and I mostly use artisan soaps. I do watch out for soaps that they say are not good for sensitive skin and avoid them as maybe my skin is sensitive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom