What's new

Soap bags for bar soaps

So does anyone that uses bar soaps use a soap bag to lather up with? I want to go back to bar soaps since i have developed some dry skin with shower gels but have never seen these until I came across one on etsy.

If so what is the choice? Regular cotton yarn bags, linen yarn bags or the hemp/sisal bags?

How do they hold up and do you get a good lather out of them?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
So does anyone that uses bar soaps use a soap bag to lather up with? I want to go back to bar soaps since i have developed some dry skin with shower gels but have never seen these until I came across one on etsy.

If so what is the choice? Regular cotton yarn bags, linen yarn bags or the hemp/sisal bags?

How do they hold up and do you get a good lather out of them?
You might be off just using a synthetic 24-26mm shave brush with a bar of soap, easy to lather and easy to maintain and will dry out quicker than a wet bag. You will pleasantly surprized how well it works, I use a long handled back brush for my back and it does not lather as good as a shave brush but has more scrub.

You might be off just using a synthetic 24-26mm shave brush with a bar of soap, easy to lather and easy to maintain and will dry out quicker than a wet bag. You will pleasantly surprized how well it works, I use a long handled back brush for my back and it does not lather as good as a shave brush but has more scrub.
I was hoping to get away from soap bars sitting on things by going with a bag. That is kind of why I got away from bar soaps originally was the messy goop that bars became sitting on a soap dish. I was hoping the bag would dry out better but you find they don't?

Ron R

I was hoping to get away from soap bars sitting on things by going with a bag. That is kind of why I got away from bar soaps originally was the messy goop that bars became sitting on a soap dish. I was hoping the bag would dry out better but you find they don't?
I just use a metal shower caddy that is chromed and does not collect soap water at all and the bar is open to the air when not showering. I have had the metal wire holder that holds other shower items like shampoo bottles and other items for over 20 years. Works good for me!

Ron R

Amazon has lots of these washcloths with a soap pouch in them, Just type "washcloth with soap pouch" there are all kinds of reviews if that is what your after. You can take out the soap afterwards to dry for next use.

Well I got this one in today. I am interested to see how it does with some triple milled verbena soap I just picked up.
C48C7506-1C2A-4EC7-BA6A-8B598947C2CD.jpeg

I use the Agave fiber one from PPA(Phoenix Shaving). Works good. I like it.
I had not seen that on PAA's site. That is almost identical to all the ones being sold as natural fibre on etsy.

I was also looking at some made out of linen yarn that have a more open weave. I just want to see how this one does first and go from there. I do have some concerns that it might be too tight of a weave but once wet it may stretch out and open up a bit.

Well me neither until I started looking around for some decent bar soaps. Unfortunately I either toss all my washcloths or they go to the garage as rags since I have been using shower gels for years with plastic loofas. Thus my search for something to lather up with and just came across them in a search and down the rabbit hole I went!

I am less than impressed with that bag. It is too small and has no stretch, clinging too closely to the soap making sudsing difficult. It was advertised as a large bag supposed to be 3 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches but it was off by a half inch in each direction. I am going to keep it and try it with some smaller bars I have. Going to pick up one of the PAA agave bags and give it a go.

Well the PA soap bag was much better than that cotton one I originally bought but I still wasn’t that happy with it. While it suds up OK it ran out of suds quick and the exfoliation, which is what I was hoping for, was weak.

So I tried a different tack and went back to looking for something like a luffa or exfoliating wash cloth. I found it after discussing it on another forum and it was suggested to try a Salux towel from Japan. It is a winner. I will be discussing it in another thread since it is in no way like a soap bag!

You can always install a magnetic soap holder in your shower - there' one with a suction cup which you can simply stick to the tiles or glass wall if you have one.
You press those metal crown cork things into the soap and pin it to the magnet - those born before 1980 may remember.

The same principle but reversed also works with a crown cork or a tetra pack cap which you press into the soap (after 1st use, when softer) and use as a stand on your sink or bathtub - also great for travelling or the gym. Just drill a small hole in the cap with a cork screw so the air can come out when you press the cap into the soap.

Then you can always buy a soap saver tray with these littlte nubs, they work good as well to keep the soap dry.

I was using those litle nylon soap bags for lathering for a while - but honestly, it's nonsense, I just use my hands now. Since I also use my bar soap for hair, that gives me plenty of lather - my head is just a big brush.

I have never heard of a soap bag. Since using bar soaps something like 15+ years I use one of the shower puffs, which for sometime companies designed to sell to men. They have the puff on one side and a scrubbing side on the other, they work great with building up lather and getting a good scrub. I put the soap on a metal shower caddy with no mushy side effects.

I have tons of soap so not worried about wasting any. I've been using washcloths and use a bamboo soap dish with drain built in so no mess. Soap bags look intriguing. Let us know how it works out.

I am less than impressed with that bag. It is too small and has no stretch, clinging too closely to the soap making sudsing difficult. It was advertised as a large bag supposed to be 3 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches but it was off by a half inch in each direction. I am going to keep it and try it with some smaller bars I have. Going to pick up one of the PAA agave bags and give it a go.
@Bengal Tiger It didn’t.

I have tons of soap so not worried about wasting any. I've been using washcloths and use a bamboo soap dish with drain built in so no mess. Soap bags look intriguing. Let us know how it works out.

No they didn't meet expectations. One got relegated to holding broken bars of Fels-naphtha and the other to the pile o' junk. I was going to do a separate thread on the salux wash cloth but there have been some threads on them in the past and I didn't want to hear the moaning that "there are threads on those already"!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
As some of you know, I have recently gotten back into bar soaps. Does anybody have a recommendation for a soap dish that fits Stirling bath soap bars?

As some of you know, I have recently gotten back into bar soaps. Does anybody have a recommendation for a soap dish that fits Stirling bath soap bars?
So what kind? Counter, shower or bathtub?

If shower I picked up a pack of stainless steel wire ones that stick to the wall with those Brillo type soap pads inserted in them for the bars to sit on. Keeps a nice clean bar that can dry out good.

Top Bottom