What's new

FS Soap and Razors!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Gents,

I have a few items up for sale. Please contact me for more info/photos. CONUS unless we chat first.

First are two soaps: Ballenclaugh Honey & Tobacco (5.5 oz) and Chiseled Face Trade Winds (4 oz). Both unused.
$12 ea. PP G&S, First Class Pkg Shipping included.

Second up is a Henson Medium Aluminum in Jet Black. Has been used all of three times (I liked it so much I bought a Ti version which is now my GoTo). Tuck of Astra SP included.
$60 PP G&S, First Class Pkg Shipping included.

Third is a gorgeous force patinated Karve CB with a SB-C plate, original top cap and 3" handle.
$100 PP G&S, First Class Pkg Shipping included.

Fourth is another beautiful force patinated Karve CB with an OC-E plate, original top cap and 3.5" handle.
$100 PP G&S, First Class Pkg Shipping included.
Karve CB w/OC-E Plate - https://imgur.com/a/fR7rfHn
Karve CB w/E Plate - https://imgur.com/a/Alz9F4F

Last is a Razorock Lupo .72 with the discontinued Radio Knob handle.
$55 PP G&S, First Class Pkg Shipping included.
RazoRock Lupo 72 w/Radio Knob Handle - https://imgur.com/a/EWRCrsy
RazoRock Lupo 72 - https://imgur.com/a/y3nAnVJ

What product or method did you use to get that forced patina on it? It almost looks like what manufactures call antique brass which actually looks more appealing than real patina’ed brass which is still very nice. I’ve never had brass actually obtain that black color naturally. So with the Karve in the condition it is in, is it sealed or will it further patina and can it be brought back to the original matte beads blasted brass color?

The Lupo does it have the original box?

What product or method did you use to get that forced patina on it? It almost looks like what manufactures call antique brass which actually looks more appealing than real patina’ed brass which is still very nice. I’ve never had brass actually obtain that black color naturally. So with the Karve in the condition it is in, is it sealed or will it further patina and can it be brought back to the original matte beads blasted brass color?

Amazon has it, just search for brass darkening solution; it seems to be very affordable. Also, one can use magic eraser to give the brass accents where one desires them as opposed to just waiting for them to show based on use/contact.

I used a four step process on both of the Karves where I first removed the uneven patina and brought them back to the original finish with a solution of citric acid, then cleaned/polished with toothpaste, then used a brass ager, then finally used #0000 steel wool to highlight areas to bring a relief. It will further patina naturally. It can be brought back to the original finish with another citric acid bath and clean up with toothpaste.

Sorry, the Lupo does not. The box was thin paper and the gent that had the razor before me didn't take care of it. So, I tossed what was left… :)

I used a four step process on both of the Karves where I first removed the uneven patina and brought them back to the original finish with a solution of citric acid, then cleaned/polished with toothpaste, then used a brass ager, then finally used #0000 steel wool to highlight areas to bring a relief. It will further patina naturally. It can be brought back to the original finish with another citric acid bath and clean up with toothpaste.

Sorry, the Lupo does not. The box was thin paper and the gent that had the razor before me didn't take care of it. So, I tossed what was left… :)
Thank you and glwts

While i love the look, do they actually call this patina’ed brass, as like I’ve said, I’ve never seen any brass that has patina’ed (even door knobs or outside fence gate handles) to this black color even after 20 years.

Also I’ve never had to use citric acid to restore back to the bare brass finish stripping away the patina. Just used toothpaste and elbow grease.

73530BC2-C447-4CCA-9179-8B843785A53D.jpeg

This is obviously after the cleaning, but before it had an ugly patina that was uneven and water spots and white soap and/ or mineral deposits. Not sure what the citric acid would have done differently to the end result of what I have here.

While i love the look, do they actually call this patina’ed brass, as like I’ve said, I’ve never seen any brass that has patina’ed (even door knobs or outside fence gate handles) to this black color even after 20 years.
I’ve seen it on some very old light fixtures. Probably depends on the chemical makeup of the brass and the environment I would think.

Also I’ve never had to use citric acid to restore back to the bare brass finish stripping away the patina. Just used toothpaste and elbow grease.

View attachment 1394230

This is obviously after the cleaning, but before it had an ugly patina that was uneven and water spots and white soap and/ or mineral deposits. Not sure what the citric acid would have done differently to the end result of what I have here.
I think the citric acid just does eliminate that elbow grease. And for a GEM I’m about to do, I can’t get to all the surfaces with a brush and toothpaste, so soaking in citric acid will get those areas.

View attachment 1394230

So this photo here:

Shows what the citric acid does by itself, with zero elbow grease. Your cap/plate have been polished by the toothpaste. The Karve in that photo hasn’t been patinated, so maybe I’ll just polish it for fun.

Last edited:
So this photo here:

Shows what the citric acid does by itself, with zero elbow grease. Your cap/plate have been polished by the toothpaste. The Karve in that photo hasn’t been patinated, so maybe I’ll just polish it for fun.
I kind of like the darker color of just using the citric acid in your pics. How long in the citric acid bath and what proportions of citric acid to water?

I may get some of that brass ager product and keep it all black as I think that looks awesome from the pics in that IMGUR slideshow you posted. I like the jet black stage before you used steel wool to give the brass some accent. If I use the aging product and keep it at the jet black stage, will the black wear off the baseplate and top cap after normal use from shaving?

Last edited:
I may get some of that brass ager product and keep it all black as I think that looks awesome from the pics in that IMGUR slideshow you posted. I like the jet black stage before you used steel wool to give the brass some accent. If I use the aging product and keep it at the jet black stage, will the black wear off the baseplate and top cap after normal use from shaving?
I debated leaving it with that blue/black. I’m not sure about wear… It’s likely to start wearing a bit when you use it. But it might take some time for that to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom