What's new

Soap and mug - leave the cake in the mug?

Hello Folks. I'm starting out with Bigelow cream right now, but I have some cheap soap and a mug to try. Do you actually leave the cake of soap in the mug between uses, or take it out, rinse, dry, etc?

My apologies for the elementary topic.

Leave the soap puck in the mug, pour off any excess water that might be in there after shaving and leave it to air dry. I'm finally making it toward the end of my first puck. The middle has worn away revealing the bottom of the mug so all I have left in there is a thin soap donut.

Leave the soap puck in the mug, pour off any excess water that might be in there after shaving and leave it to air dry. I'm finally making it toward the end of my first puck. The middle has worn away revealing the bottom of the mug so all I have left in there is a thin soap donut.

+1

Pucks of soap are used right where they are, be it in the bottom of a lather bowl, or a mug. A puck may last longer if excess water is drained off, and if it is a scented soap, the aromatics that give it the nice odor may last longer, also, if you put a lid atop the mug between shaves. Soft types of soaps are different, and should be kept in a sealed container so they don't dry out.

I also leave it in the mug. After an hour or two of air drying, I cover the mug with some clingy plastic wrap in hopes that the scent lasts longer.

Pucks of soap are used right where they are, be it in the bottom of a lather bowl, or a mug. A puck may last longer if excess water is drained off, and if it is a scented soap, the aromatics that give it the nice odor may last longer, also, if you put a lid atop the mug between shaves. Soft types of soaps are different, and should be kept in a sealed container so they don't dry out.
do soap mugs come with leds? never seen that ? i keep mine in an old TOBS bowl sake off extra water and close it smells the same for years

I use a PYREX clear glass round bowl, either a 1 cup or 2 cup size, they come with lids and are perfect for soap pucks.Also, you can microwave the pucks at 10 second spurts to melt them in the bowl then mix and let stand

for a hour or so to harden.

My new thing is to cut off a piece of the puck, grate it, and then press it into a small pottery bowl I bought. I flatten it out real nicely and just use it until its gone. The rest of the puck gets stashed away until I am ready to slice of another piece or go for a different flavor for a week or two. This technique always leaves me with fresh soap when I need it as opposed to my puck getting all funky over the course of how ever long it lasts. You can also put whatever amount you want in your loading bowl.

do soap mugs come with leds? never seen that ? i keep mine in an old TOBS bowl sake off extra water and close it smells the same for years

Not usually. Actually the only shave mugs in current production that are specifically made for shaving are the VDH and the Marvy Unbreakable mugs. Most of us usually use whatever large coffee mug is available cheap at the time. I recently bought a nice used (and washed) coffee cup that I am using for one of my pucks for 25 US cents at a local Christian charity's resale shop. I have had my other shave mugs for years (took them from my cupboard and reused them for pucks) and don't remember the cost.

My new thing is to cut off a piece of the puck, grate it, and then press it into a small pottery bowl I bought. I flatten it out real nicely and just use it until its gone. The rest of the puck gets stashed away until I am ready to slice of another piece or go for a different flavor for a week or two. This technique always leaves me with fresh soap when I need it as opposed to my puck getting all funky over the course of how ever long it lasts. You can also put whatever amount you want in your loading bowl.

Sounds like a good idea. I have a nine pack 'o' pucks coming from Mama Bear, and a little at a time would rotate nicely without dry out

I have a puck of vintage Williams that is worn down to a ring as well. I put the stub of a Wilkinson Sword stick in that doughnut hole and pressed it down to fill the hole somewhat. Result: instant uberlather. Rubbing the Wilkinson stick directly on my face in such concentrated form has caused some irritation problems at times, but loaded up on a brush along with vintage Williams and then bowl lathered, it's great!

Leave it. Make sure you're building lather in a separate container or face lather. The container with the puck is just for loading.

Actually it is easier for many to lather on the puck. The biggest issue with that is some soaps overload the brush causing too-thick lather. That is easily rectified by putting a couple (maybe a few) tablespoons of water in your mug and swirling the brush in it 8-10 times.

I have read of some people rinsing and drying the puck between uses, but the majority of us seem to just drain off any excess water and leave the puck in the mug between shaves. Guys did that for generations. It's soap and your mug is essentially a special purpose soap dish. How dirty is it going to get?
Leave it. Make sure you're building lather in a separate container or face lather. The container with the puck is just for loading.
Actually it is easier for many to lather on the puck. The biggest issue with that is some soaps overload the brush causing too-thick lather. That is easily rectified by putting a couple (maybe a few) tablespoons of water in your mug and swirling the brush in it 8-10 times.
The advice from Takeshi about building lather off the puck is good if you are concerned about getting the most out of your soap. I face lathered for about a year and then mostly bowl lathered for the next six months.

A while back I went the way MHarris suggests and started lathering on the puck. I'm just not that worried about getting every possible shave out of each puck. I guess it's actually more of a hybrid on the puck/face lathering. I'll load the brush until I am just starting to get a lather going and then finish developing the lather on my face, sometimes going back to the mug for some lather on my third pass or when doing touch ups.

I use williams every day. i leave the soap in the mug and just pour out any leftover water. after my shave, i squeeze all of the extra lather out of my brush and put it back in the mug as well. let it air dry and get ready for the next day.

Top Bottom