What's new

Soaking the brush and the soap before shaving

Does anyone soak the brush and soap in the same mug before shaving? I have been using two mugs: one to soak the brush and the other that contains the soap. Would the soap become expended too quickly? Just Curious

I did this for awhile with my brush and mug of Van Der Hagen. The shea butter started to separate. I don't know if this would happen to triple-milled soaps though.

Does anyone soak the brush and soap in the same mug before shaving? I have been using two mugs: one to soak the brush and the other that contains the soap. Would the soap become expended too quickly? Just Curious

I soak my brush, but never soak the soap, even ones that have a reputation for being hard to lather. Some people do this, but I've never found it to be necessary.

I think the primary reason for not doing this, is that you would be pouring quite a bit of soap down the drain over time.

It's also unnecessary to soak soap to this level, as a few drops to a tablespoon will more than suffice (depending of course, on who you talk too).

Last edited:

First, you have to define "soak." When I use Williams, I place my brush into the mug, which holds the soap, then run hot water over the brush. Next, I pour out the water, using the brush to insure that the soap puck does not fall out. Then, I squeeze out the brush and proceed to load the brush and lather a little bit on the puck. Following that, I face lather.

The brush "soaking" only lasts for as long as it takes to fill the mug with hot water and warm the soap/mug.

I'm using the EJ buckthorn soap right now and the EJ apothicary mug and wanted to consolidate to get rid of the extra, "soaking" mug. Thanks for the responses.

In my case, when I mean "soaking," I mean that I leave the brush in the in the mug (in water) while I'm brushing my teeth and showering (so, about 15 to 20 minutes).

Same mug...soak, dump water and use warm mug to make lather. Works great :thumbup:

I am of the belief that soaking the soap is of no value and in fact may be harmful to the soap. I have seen that some members recommend soaking some soaps like MWF but others have found that it causes the soap to crack and offers little or no benefit. I use MWF and it lathers beautifully with no soaking.

I think that this notion of soaking is borne out of frustration with being unable to get the desired lather that others describe. I think that most of the problems can be traced to hard water or perhaps technique.

Happy shaving,

Doug

I do soak my brush in a tumbler/glass and I take the soaked brush and drip just a shake of water onto the soap in its mug/bowl and re-soak the brush. After I brush my teeth I shake out the soaking brush almost to the point I would hang to dry, then swirl the brush on the soap, picking up the little water used to soak the soap. Then I face lather and add some water to the brush tips and add to lather as needed to make optimal lather.

In my case, when I mean "soaking," I mean that I leave the brush in the in the mug (in water) while I'm brushing my teeth and showering (so, about 15 to 20 minutes).

And then you squeeze and shake all that water right out of the brush anyways.:thumbup:

Seriously, all most brushes need is about 10 seconds to get damp and you're good to go.

i soak my brush, and put a couple of drops on top of the soap to soften it up a little.

soaking a puck can lead to all the good bits leaking out, so I wouldnt do it

i soak my brush, and put a couple of drops on top of the soap to soften it up a little.

soaking a puck can lead to all the good bits leaking out, so I wouldnt do it

That's what I do. I then drain the remaining drops of water, if any, into my shaving bowl and use that plus cream and glycerin to make my lather. I am adverse to waste! :001_smile

Ehh, sometimes I soak 'em together, sometimes I just wet my brush under hot running water. Life is short and I'm a childless bachelor. I can indulge myself and still spoil my niece and nephews. :thumbup:

I might soak the soap if I think about it, but usually I forget. I have found that if I do I don't have to spend as much time loading the brush (we're talking a savings of maybe 2-3 seconds), as the top layer is already very soft. As far as the brush goes, I put it in the bowl and under the tap as the sink fills up, but that's it. Boar brushes may get a longer soak, as unlike badger it absorbs more than just holds.

Top Bottom