What's new

So you're supposed to hold the brush by the bristles?

Just heard this mentioned on one of mantic59 videos that you are supposed to hold the brush by the bristles and not the handle. Is there any specific reasoning for this or is it more of a ymmv type of thing?

Mike H

Instagram Famous
If my brush was super floppy, I might do that... until my replacement came in the mail.

Holding it by the bristles allows you to flatten the brush out and get into tight areas better, like under the nose. Other than that it really doesn't matter how you hold your brush. Anyway you do it its really a YMMV thing.

I watched that part of the video. I haven't tried this technique, but I'm new to wet shaving myself. I could try it, but I am getting good results from my brush holding it the way I think everybody else does - by the handle.

I am getting good results holding the handle. I was just wondering if it was more of a brush care type of thing. Like holding the bristles prevents strain on the knot. Something along those lines.

I am getting good results holding the handle. I was just wondering if it was more of a brush care type of thing. Like holding the bristles prevents strain on the knot. Something along those lines.

I doubt it. My guess is that it is more of a face lathering performance thing. I would think this would primarily be the case with a floppier brush - you could dial it in a bit by holding at the base of the bristles with the handle in your palm. I'll have to try this now just for the heck of it. :001_smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4ezJNJfygw

3 min in the video if anyone is wondering what i am talking about.
Keeps the bristles a little stiffer, it is good to do this with longer hair brushes and for a deeper application of lather.
$Capture.jpg$,,,,,.jpg

it merely a preference of technique...depends on how you want to get into certain areas with your brush....it helps if your brush is floppy or a lather hog to get the lather to release from the bristles...

I have no idea how I hold my brush. I have face lathered for 30+ years. I never failed to make lather. I think the way of holding the brush is a matter of personal preference.

Or you could just ask me about it. :001_smile

You certainly don't have to do it that way but there are several reasons to give it a try. As alex2363 says it can keep the bristles a little stiffer for better control if you have a high-loft or floppy brush. But the main reason I do it is for water retention. Holding the brush by the bristle base keeps more water in the deep center of the brush (the "breach") where all the heavy lifting takes place for mixing water with cream/soap. In other words I've found I can get a better lather by holding a brush this way. Give it a try and see how you like it. If it doesn't make a difference for you then just go back to how ever you were holding it.

For the first couple of months I owned the high-loft Omega 48, I thought it was suited only to bowl lathering -- but using this grip shows that it can also be a good face-latherer.

Holding it by the bristles allows you to flatten the brush out and get into tight areas better, like under the nose. Other than that it really doesn't matter how you hold your brush. Anyway you do it its really a YMMV thing.

+1 However, I don't see the need once you get comfortable with your brush(es).

Top Bottom