What's new

So you thought you'd spend less switching to DE, huh?

How many of you can say that you have ended up spending less money on shaving after you went DE or straight?

Throughout the forum I've seen many reasons for why people have switched to DE/straight shaving. It is interesting how many like me found the M3/Fusion blades to be ridiculously expensive. I thought I would save a lot of money (in like 10 years from now after buying various equipment). I thought I was smart - that was until I found B&B :)

Now, fear has struck me after I understood what is happening to me... It seems that sooner or later I will acquire the notorious shaving acquisition disorder. I better stay away from this forum!

How many of you can say that you have ended up spending less money on shaving after you went DE or straight?

Throughout the forum I've seen many reasons for why people have switched to DE/straight shaving. It is interesting how many like me found the M3/Fusion blades to be ridiculously expensive. I thought I would save a lot of money (in like 10 years from now after buying various equipment). I thought I was smart - that was until I found B&B :)

Now, fear has struck me after I understood what is happening to me... It seems that sooner or later I will acquire the notorious shaving acquisition disorder. I better stay away from this forum!

Resistance is futile:a14:

Well
I don't know about all the other guys here, buy yeah shaving with the "good stuff" isn't cheap at all
You can spend a lot of $ for a nice start kit, but it won't satisfy you, so you will add more and more

But
I enjoy it, so why not? :cool:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Too late!

Besides, the money I'm spending is going toward collecting works of art, and improving my overall shave experience, not just sitting on the Schick-for-brains treadmill and coughing up another $20 again and again to buy a few more cartridges!!

I have to admit, it did cross my mind as to saving money but the reality is, I've spent more in the past few months than I did in the last several years shaving with other methods.

But damn, I've got some sweet razors now!

It's the whole experience for me, the enjoyment of using warm moist lather and the brush besides getting a whole better shave than I ever have, (hell of a thing to say at 55).

It wasn't my looking for less expensive, I was looking for a better way and found it.

It's part of the sales pitch. Same with the whole "cartridges shave too closely...DE shaves closer than a cartridge" silliness.

I was lied to and I've never been happier.

Hmmm. I've probably spent a bit more, but I'm ok with that. The biggest expense for me has been getting two good brushes and trying out several different soaps and creams (and aftershaves) to see what I like.

Of course, the results are better. And my skin looks better, too. I can live with that.

OldSaw

The wife's investment

I know I am spending less. However, I made the switch long ago to making my own lather with a brush and the savings kicked in when I dropped the cartridges to only use DE's.

I must add, that since joining this forum I will not need another blade for about three years, unless I just want to try a different brand than the three I have. I have enough cream and soap for the rest of this year and I did get a new brush after about 15 years of using my Col. Conk badger.

So in the past six months I have spent above average trying new stuff, but I am still way ahead of the game over the years. I didn't have to sacrifice making 401K contributions, so I got that goin' for me. :biggrin:

Like many, I switched b/c it was "cheaper" and b/c of fewer ingrown hairs. Of course it ended up that I'm spending more than ever on various ADs. But, you know what? Now I actually enjoy shaving and look forward to it as part of my day. That's priceless.

Now I actually enjoy shaving and look forward to it as part of my day. That's priceless.

I've got to echo this, as it's a real reason I'm staying with DE shaving... my skin looks better, and I'm now shaving more than once a week, which gives a much better impression to anyone I'm liable to meet. *not*counting the B&B brush (damn you!) I've probably spent as much as I would have on blades and cream/goo (ugh) but I'm enjoying it a whole lot more. And after my first razor acquisitions, I don't see the need to acquire many others, unless they're to have friends "reimburse me thankfully" for...

Fortunately, saving money was never my motive for leaving cartridge shaving.

It was because I was tired of being treated like a guinea pig for every new money making venture Gillette wanted to foist on the masses.

It's a good thing saving money wasn't my motive, because I am failing miserably at it. :lol:

I realized it was going to take me a while to save money, since my initial setup of razor, blades, soaps / creams and brush cost me about $100 - I would have been able to get well over a year of shaving out of my Mach 3 with that much money... hell probably several years. But if I can get rid of the terrible razor burn I used to always have on my neck with this method, then that's money well spent in my book.

I don't know if I'm spending less money or not. I was cruising the net trying to find a merchant that was selling my Mach 3's for a cheaper price that the one I was buying them from at the time. I was considering buying a years' supply of the Fusion cartridges. $99 for 78 cartridges. So I Googled, and I Googled. Lo and Behold I found B&B. I thought upon seeing the link on Google's web page it was another retailer selling cartridges. I clicked on the link. And the rest is history.

I have more creams than there are days of the week. And for me, that's enough. But after I add in all the lotions, notions and potions, as I call 'em and Dr. visits for the irritation I was getting around the corners of my mouth, I don't think I'll be saving any money this year. Hopefully2008 will tell a different story.

It was funny though. When I told them at work that I pay only .37 cents per blade. I asked them How much do you pay? He said, "we don't talk about that."

I've saved a ton of money on cartridge blades since making the switch. I haven't purchased a single cartridge replacement yet!:001_tt2:

Randy

Top Bottom