What's new

So you thought you'd spend less switching to DE, huh?

After the intial "stocking" phase, I am now at a point where I can simply replentish the supply...unless a really good deal comes along.

Or a new scent by Mama Bear.

Or a new Merkur razor.

Or an old Gillette.

Or an AS that is too good to pass up.

Or (fill in the blank)...

For me, it's as simple as this-

I used to spend a lot of money and hated it. Now I spend a lot of money and love it.

As far as I'm concerned, the actual dollar amounts don't matter, given the above.

I could not agree more!:badger:

Consider this as a good hobby and the money spent is spent on the "finer things" and don't forget some of us are spending a lot more than you.

Have fun and keep spending as this helps the economy.:001_tt1: :001_tt1: :001_tt1: :clap: :clap: :clap:

True true. I just have to keep my pockets tight as I'm a student. Now, if people would only spend money on my education that would be beneficial for the economy in the next 50 years :smile: So, if yo have more money to spend than you know how to, you know who to call! I promise I will only spend it on shaving gear, hehe :biggrin:

Blades for blades it's DEFFINATLY cheaper. While the can goop is about $4 a can, it only lasts a few weeks at most. If you got one Honeybee soap puck at $4 and used it exclusively, I'm sure you could get at least a month's worth of shaves out of it, if not two. So after the initial expenses of a razor and brush, your wet shaving supplies would pay for themselves rather quickly, especially if you were using the Fusions.

Do any of us spend less on DE wet shaving? I seriously doubt it. I have been at it about a month now and have spent close to $40 on shave creams and soaps alone. All I know is I get a better shave than I ever imagined was possible, and I actually enjoy shaving now. To me, that is more valuable than the money I spend on the supplies.

Many here consider this a hobby. A useful hobby compared to some that are somewhat frivolous. For the price of one four pack of cartridges we can get a hundred count package of DE blades. The money not spent on cartridges goes toward nice brushes and great soaps and creams. The money not spent on canned goo helps to defray the cost of the soaps and creams. I figure that even with the initial purchasing done to collect items I have broke even or better compared to money spent on cartridges and canned goo.

If the goal is to save money, then stop collecting stuff! Good luck with that, Resistance is futile!

I don't know if I'm spending less money or not. I was cruising the net trying to find a merchant that was selling my Mach 3's for a cheaper price that the one I was buying them from at the time. I was considering buying a years' supply of the Fusion cartridges. $99 for 78 cartridges. So I Googled, and I Googled. Lo and Behold I found B&B. I thought upon seeing the link on Google's web page it was another retailer selling cartridges. I clicked on the link. And the rest is history.

There are a lot of deals on ebay for Mach 3 etc cartridges, but some research suggests that a lot of them are fakes; I think I have even seen it said that there are fake DE blades around pretending to be something they aint!

I have to admit, it did cross my mind as to saving money but the reality is, I've spent more in the past few months than I did in the last several years shaving with other methods.

But damn, I've got some sweet razors now!

+1 here too, I spend so much money since I'm in DE razor :blushing:

The truth is, it's more than just stuff, and try saving money, etc. I discover a true hobby, and it is for all of us here, and we love this hobby :001_wub:

+1 here too, I spend so much money since I'm in DE razor :blushing:

The truth is, it's more than just stuff, and try saving money, etc. I discover a true hobby, and it is for all of us here, and we love this hobby :001_wub:

Yep
You are so right here, an hobby, but unlike collecting stamps or something, this is a hobby I can use each day:biggrin:

I was tired of going stubbly 3-4 days a week.....price was not a consideration at the time.
If I dont spend the $$ on shavery, Ill just spend it somewhere else.

I guess I have more self control.

Here's my purchases to date (Since August of last year):

DE Sampler
100 Derby blades with 2 cream throw-in
1 tube palmolive red
2 tubes proraso
Proraso brush
$2 blue cappuccino mug from Kohls

About $44

Received as gifts:
Merkur HD
Vulfix 2234
Trumpers Limes
Proraso Pre-shave

About $140

Lets do math:

8 Months:

My expenditure: $5.50/month
Total expenditure: $23/Month

If I were still going catridge, I would be buying:

M3/Fusion blades (4) per month: $10
One can of goo: $4/month

Total = $14/month

Okay, so I'm saving money, but only because of kind people getting me gifts. Of course, those derby blades have another 7 or 8 months left in them. I just ran out of the Limes, and have to replace, but I'm going to go try the KMF's at Whole Foods. I won't let a tube go unused.

Yep
You are so right here, an hobby, but unlike collecting stamps or something, this is a hobby I can use each day:biggrin:

It kinda is like collecting stamps. Except instead of asking the girl to come home with you and check out your stamp collection, you can say: Wanna come home and check out my razor collection?

(Alternatively shaving cream collection if you want to play safe...) :biggrin:

I am saving a lot of money.

My MB soaps/derby's combo costs me about $4 a month....
(w/ 3 shaves per derby and 2 months conservatively for a $7 puck)
I am looking at the $35 best badger C&E and maybe a Merkur slant, but if I put that into a year, I am still only at about $120 a year or about half what I was paying last year, for crappy shaves w/ goo and mach3s... That would leave me with funds to buy a new razor or a new brush every year, and still come in under what I was paying in the past. I do exert a fair amount of self control though. I can appreciate the humor behind the "resistance is futile" mantra, but for shaving and in my case, it does not apply.

I am fortunate to live in a country that sells DE razors for $2 new, Chinese straights for $3 new, and Gillette Rubies (about IP sharp) for $1 for a pack of 6, or Dorko's for $0.50 for 10!!! I spent more on the shave cream sampler from Scotto than all of my gear combined. I guess I am bragging again. Sorry gents. :001_tongu

Yes, I did think I would be spending less on shaving by switching to a DE. But am I? Well, not really. I have spent lots of cash on razors, creams, a couple of good brushes, and more.

I am, in fact, spending more.

The the main difference is that I am no longer resentfull about forking over hard earned money for stuff. I was very resentfull about buying packs of fusion and mach 3 blades.

I have also thought that I could, if I wanted, cut my costs. I would have to use spend less and use less creams or maybe switch to soap. I would also have to use a more readily available oil for preshave, such as olive oil. And as for blades, I use one per week and shave anywhere from 4 to 7 times per week. So I could cut back a lot if I had to. Thankfully I don't have to.

I think. Before, I was always trying new stuff for a better shave. I had a cheap brush, and I had a mug for a while (that I lost and had to replace when I got my DE Merkur). But I got a new brush as a gift, and the blades are cheaper. I have two soaps (one was a gift with the brush) and one tube of cream. If you want to be cheap, you definitely can be after the initial startup. The other thing that I'm free from is buying razors. It might sound dumb, but it was cheaper to buy razors and get the couple of cartridges that go with them, so every few months, I would buy different razors to see if I liked them better, but also to save money from buying cartridges.

I have found up that you can get a nice sharp reliable Straight, get a brush and a strop and something to hone
Then all you need is to get creams or soaps (Some guys even don't use after shave or alumn block)
So
I think that maybe the start is not so cheap, but after that it really isn't that much
Any way - for most of us it cost a lot, but not because we need 3 razors or 5 brushes, but becuase we LOVE it, and enjoy it, so what so bad using your $ for such a fine thing that gives you pleasure every day? :biggrin:

Yep
You are so right here, an hobby, but unlike collecting stamps or something, this is a hobby I can use each day.

+2

I was thinking about "wetshaving" (along with my other two hobbies of working-out and nutrition). There are, basically, two kinds of people who do these things:
  • those who shave [work-out/eat-right/other pursuit]; and
  • those who shave [work-out/eat-right/other pursuit] and spend lots more time learning about the science of it, the history, different methods, etc., etc.
It's obvious to me, that all of us here on B&B (and SMF, SRP, and elsewhere) are the second type -- I call us the iceberg type, where doing the hobby is the "tip of the iceberg" which is visible, and where learning about the hobby (and related areas) is the other "90% of that iceberg" which lies below the water.

Unlike stamp- or coin-collecting (or other similar hobbies), wetshaving has a large physically-active component to it, as well as a more passive component (which has rich verbal and intellectual components).

We might not be "Renaissance Men", but I already know several "wetshaving"-people who approach that definition, with their knowledge of physics, metallurgy, fine mechanics, art and graphics, history, and much more.

I don't particularly care for the word "hobby" -- it sounds trivial. Given that many still refer to one's occupation as their vocation, I think it fitting and proper to refer to "wetshaving" as our avocation (defined in the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary as: "a subordinate occupation pursued in addition to one's vocation, especially for enjoyment."

As my Israeli brother, ead wrote: this is a hobby I can use each day. If we're shaving three-, four-, five-, or six-days-a-week, and otherwise involved with it for a significant period of time during many, if not all (or even more), of those days, then "wetshaving" is certainly an avocation, rather than simply a hobby.

Did anyone have any fun buying and learning about M3 or whatever-brand cartridges? I didn't. It was mundane purchase, something I needed because I had used them up and need to buy more. No different than paper towels.

DE's and such are fun to own. M3's and such are not fun to own. It's really that simple.

Fun is good.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The the main difference is that I am no longer resentfull about forking over hard earned money for stuff. I was very resentfull about buying packs of fusion and mach 3 blades.

I have also thought that I could, if I wanted, cut my costs.

So I think that maybe the start is not so cheap, but after that it really isn't that much

Did anyone have any fun buying and learning about M3 or whatever-brand cartridges? I didn't. It was mundane purchase, something I needed because I had used them up and need to buy more. No different than paper towels.

DE's and such are fun to own. M3's and such are not fun to own. It's really that simple.

Fun is good.

Yeah, this IS fun. I can't see a B&B-type site for Mach 3 and Quattro. Sure I spend a bundle ... but I could cut costs a lot. In fact, right now, I could shave for a couple years without spending one dime on anything other than ASB! And I could shave for the rest of my life without buying anything more than ASb and shave soap, which could be really inexpensive! But Mastro Levi does make grate razors ...

I have a feeling that I am just going to echo what has already been said. I had no intention to switch to wet-shaving with a DE until I walked into an AOS store. I was somewhat happy with my Fusion and can of goo, but there is something elegant and, dare I say, sexy about shaving with a DE. I love the connection with history in general as well as a common history with my father and grandfather - this is the way they shaved.

I did figure that I would spend less, due to the cheap blades, but like everyone else I blew that out of the water acquiring soaps, creams, PSOs and ASBs. I too can hold off on new purchases for probably 6 to 9 months and in that time I most likely will have saved money over spending $16 for an 8 pack of Fusion cartridges which only last about 5 to 7 weeks.

Anyway, I have seen the light and found a great many others who believe that I do. I haven't looked back.

Thanks B&B!

Jeff

Top Bottom