What's new

So you thought you'd spend less switching to DE, huh?

Turning something I hated into something I can actualy get excited about...thats priceless. But, after the experementation is over, and I settle on a razor or two, the rest of the collection is getting sold off so I believe I will break even or start saving money after a year or so.

When I consider that I was spending over 300 dollars a year and getting terrible shaves, this is by far the better deal! When I had somewhere to go in the evening like a church event or a dinner with colleagues, I would try to avoid shaving in the morning if possible. I only did this because if I shaved in the morning, I would have to shave again in the evening and pay for it. I know that I got in some heated arguments with my mother in my younger years because she insisted that I shave again, while I would argue that I certainly wouldn't look that much better with a red, inflamed, blood-speckled face and neck! Now I can shave once in the morning and still look clean-shaven in the evening. I feel my face at 10 pm, and after a whole day it feels smoother than immediately after a shave with a Mach 3 or Fusion. Even if this costs me serious coin, the satisfaction of getting a great shave and of not wasting money on products that don't work is well worth it.

To add to my previous post, I'll also mention that before taking up DE shaving, my thoughts on it were "How old fashioned" (negative conotation) and "Who shaves like that any more?". But, now that I've seen the light, I wish that I'd seen it a whole lot sooner. If I only knew sooner what I had been missing out on. "Modern" isn't always better.

While the initial investment in equipment may have been a bit more, over time, I know that I'll save money. I have a great razor, 2 great brushes, and a supply of blades that will last me a long time.

Because I'm very scent-sensitive, it's not likely that I'll ever "need" more than what I can use, in terms of soaps or creams, or after-shaves and colognes. Now... if only Mama Bear would make a deodorant, I'd be all set! :wink:

Wetshaving is a pleasure... and, it really is healthier for your skin. I can't wait to convert my SO to a DE razor! She deserves it... especially with her great legs! :smile:

Tchau,
chop-chop

Meh...saving money? No. I have spent more probably in the last six months on shaving than in the last coupla decades! I was cheap to begin with. I said "no" to all the new fangled cartridges and used the "Good News"-type disposables. Ouch! So the shaves stunk, but hey, I saved money!

But, finding a way to actually enjoy what had to be the WORST part of the morning routine before this? As Marty says....priceless!

The same as what most others are saying. I'm saving a ton on the difference between cartridges and DE blades, but I have spent the savings many times over on brushes, soaps, creams, aftershaves, skin conditioners, etc.

And loving every minute of it! :wink:

Tim

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
For me, it's as simple as this-

I used to spend a lot of money and hated it. Now I spend a lot of money and love it.

As far as I'm concerned, the actual dollar amounts don't matter, given the above.

I keep spending. All I do is look for new razors. But I feel like I'm purchasing something special, not just blowing money on cartridges. It has become a hobby.

Yeah, I have to admit that I really look forward to shaving now. And for that great feeling in the morning it is definitely worth it. I'm new to the game, and now I'm waiting for my DE sampler pack to arrive so I can start hunting for that exceptional smooth shave everyone is talking about. :shaving:

From the initial post on this thread:
How many of you can say that you have ended up spending less money on shaving after you went DE or straight?
View attachment $lmao.gif

Replacement foil and cutters for electrics, and cartridge costs got the ball rolling; not to mention the unsatisfactory shaves they provided.

I quickly realized what this was all about and dived in, didn't look back. Yeah, I've bought a lot of stuff.

-- John Gehman

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Better results, more enjoyable shave, cool and enjoyable products, the coolness factor of being able to shave with a straight, and not spending money on corporate-greed-and-rampant-comercial-consumerism-cartridges.

Gotta love it! :thumbup:

I've got about 300 blades stored up (that'll last me about two years). And enough soap and cream for about five years. Whilst I might have spent a fair amount of money amassing this modest collection I reckon I'm spending less per shave.

Old regime: £2 per week on cartridges (£100 p.a.)
New regime: 40p per week on blades (£20 p.a.)

Old regime: £2 per month on goo (£12 p.a.)
New regime: £7 per six months on cream/soap (£14 p.a.)

The £80 for a merkur hd and nice brush is money saved in one year of gillette mach 3 blades compared to derby extras.

Yes, I'm spending less...

Well I already could have won the battle.
In theory I did.
I am very happy with the Merkur DE, cheap brush and soap. The box of Derby blades I got from ebay will last me a couple years.
I love the shave. I'm not stuck with expensive Mach 3 or Fusion cartridges as the only shave that will leave my face intact.

On the other hand, I got into the Straight Edge aspect of it... bought some equipment before learning, and bought some more after learning, thanks to various web sources.
Yes, I've easily spent a couple years' worth of Gilette goods to get started with straight-edge shaving (and indeed bought more than one razor), however that's only because it has all taught me the most important lesson I've learned in recent years - enjoy the morning wash and shave instead of rushing through it by necessity. And even then, I do plan on having what I've acquired last me a very long time, unless I hand it down and go for the luxury items.

So I have the option of either saving lots of cash or treating myself, neither of which occurred to me as an option prviously. What's more, I feel the quality of life's been raised.
Victory!

$$$ was a justification for me to get into it but I was consumed by various AD's for a while... but now the pendulum has swung back the other way. I really enjoyed the DE so I sold my expensive straight and strop for almost what I paid. I MIGHT have $150 in the razors and creams I've bought so far (I use a gilltte slim, FB and an aristocrat). I've discovered my favorite cream is Proraso which is cheap and I like the Derby blades - I expect my hundred pack to last a couple of years at least. So, I might pick up the odd razor every year or two and if I see a cream I want to try on occasion, I might. But my point is that the startup costs of the obsession were not insubstantial... but that's largely over. I could not spend a dime for over a year and still shave like a king. And what I have spent has been a great investment - I really enjoy the DE shaving experience.

And I must say, if there's any noobs reading and they want to save some money.... go pick up a Fat Boy or a slim adjustable on ebay, buy blades in bulk, pick up some Proraso or Kiss my Face and a perfectly acceptable badger brush for $35 and you can enjoy DE shaving for the rest of your life for literally pennies a day. It's been expensive for lots of us because we enjoy it so much. But it damn sure doesn't need to be expensive.

Yes, i am spending less on blades, but the extra money that i saved goes to soaps, aftershaves, and creams.

so i'm basicly spending the same amount, just not all on blades

Don't know about this--I was using poundshop cartridges before (no annoying "lubricating strip"). And a pack of 10 Tesco "value" disposables and a tin of "value" shaving foam will set you back a massive 67 English new pence (less than a dollar and a half).

However Fusion cartidges are £9.98 for 4 and Mach 3's £4.99. At a generous week-per-blade that gives you £130/£65 as an annual blade budget, plus say £12 for a tin of shaving foam every month.

From the Gentleman's Shop in Hungerford:

Merkur HD £23.50
Shaving Brush and Stand £24
3 nice soaps/creams £45
70 Merkur blades £24

Total first year budget of £116.50 actually leaves the Fusion shaver some leeway to acquire even more kit, and you have more to show at the end of the year than a plastic handle.
As long as you're not acquiring creams and soaps at such a rate that they'll dry out before you use them, your consumables budget should be roughly in line with using a Mach 3.
Razor acquisitions should anyway be considered as capital items and budgeted for separately. Remember to offset appreciation on vintage items against depreciation on new Merkurs.

DE shaving also rather neatly solves the problem (huge for the middle-aged man) of what people should get you for Christmas and birthday presents, with options at all price points. No-one's going to give you a box of Fusion cartridges for Chrimbo but what about a Jagger brush, a Slant Bar or nice tub of Trumpers? You could end both shaving very cheaply and with a huge collection of kit.

Well, considering I used to go through 4 cartridges ($10) per month and a can of goop every 3 weeks ($4), you figure per month I was at about $15 on shaving. After the initial buying binge (like now, after I've got more soaps, creams, and razors than I can fit in my bathroom), I can't see myself averaging any more than this for the long term.

Consider this as a good hobby and the money spent is spent on the "finer things" and don't forget some of us are spending a lot more than you.

Have fun and keep spending as this helps the economy.:001_tt1: :001_tt1: :001_tt1: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Top Bottom