What's new

So you talked me into it

It's been a bit since I've been here. Well, I've been smoking less pipes this past winter. But the weather has changed, and those lovely briars and cobs are again starting to see the light of day. Once again, porch sitting weather is at hand!

The other reason I've backed off the pipes is now the stems feel a bit weird in my teeth. The rubber bits help quite a bit. Definitely took it from uncomfortable to weird. But I'm determined to get over that this porch season.

In other news, I've really taken to St. Bruno (the ribbon cut). I think I've found the secret to dark fired Kentuck, mix it with stuff! Like whatever they've mixed it with. It gave me a warm familiar feeling like deja vu in a pleasant way. Like Carter Hall made with Kentucky instead of non fired burley. It packs a pleasant punch and I can see how it's someone's all day smoke. Like introducing a whiskey drinker to scotch.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I still haven't tried St Bruno yet, and it will be a while before I do. I already have ample pouched tobacco for this year. I will try it at some point though.

In comparison, Condor is dark Virginias. No Burley. They're still stoved or steamed, or had some other mystical alchemy, and the Olde English toppings many associate with Lakelands.

Good to hear you got chance to try a few of the readily accessible blends we have over here, and I look forward to reading your thoughts on them.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
It's been a bit since I've been here. Well, I've been smoking less pipes this past winter. But the weather has changed, and those lovely briars and cobs are again starting to see the light of day. Once again, porch sitting weather is at hand!

The other reason I've backed off the pipes is now the stems feel a bit weird in my teeth. The rubber bits help quite a bit. Definitely took it from uncomfortable to weird. But I'm determined to get over that this porch season.

In other news, I've really taken to St. Bruno (the ribbon cut). I think I've found the secret to dark fired Kentuck, mix it with stuff! Like whatever they've mixed it with. It gave me a warm familiar feeling like deja vu in a pleasant way. Like Carter Hall made with Kentucky instead of non fired burley. It packs a pleasant punch and I can see how it's someone's all day smoke. Like introducing a whiskey drinker to scotch.

I'm at the opposite end of the tunnel, where a pipe stem without a bit feels weird. Now I won't smoke a pipe without one. Took a while to get used to them though. Like driving a car with a really soft suspension.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
It was the taste that was offputting for me. I believe there are silicone ones out there, which may be more neutral, but the rubber bites I tried were awful.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
It was the taste that was offputting for me. I believe there are silicone ones out there, which may be more neutral, but the rubber bites I tried were awful.

COO is very important with these. Make sure they are US or European made. Those should be tasteless, odorless, and last a long time. I get about a decade out of the EA Carey ones. I'm still working off a bag of 50 from God-knows-when. Softy Bits is the other big US maker, and they have been around forever. I'm sure there must be a UK manufacturer of these.

There have been a mountain of Chinese-made bits circulating out there for quite some time, particularly on Ebay. They look identical to the good ones. I wouldn't put anything from China near my mouth, as who knows what chemicals may be in them. If a vendor won't give you a COO, assume they are Chinese. Perhaps you got stuck with some of those.

One of the other gentlemen here bought food-grade tubing from a big box store and uses that, cutting off bits as needed. They've got to be a bit harder than the soft rubber ones (no pun intended), but his are clear, which is nice on a designer stem. Different horses for different courses.

COO is very important with these. Make sure they are US or European made. Those should be tasteless, odorless, and last a long time. I get about a decade out of the EA Carey ones. I'm still working off a bag of 50 from God-knows-when. Softy Bits is the other big US maker, and they have been around forever. I'm sure there must be a UK manufacturer of these.

[Snip]

One of the other gentlemen here bought food-grade tubing from a big box store and uses that, cutting off bits as needed. They've got to be a bit harder than the soft rubber ones (no pun intended), but his are clear, which is nice on a designer stem. Different horses for different courses.

Now THAT'S a good idea!

So I ordered myself a bunch of Lakeland blends. My hope is to take them to work and again transition back to pipes. I hear Gawith makes theirs with a bit of vitamin N and a pleasant enough room note that the bosses upstairs with the open windows won't mind as much if a 5 minute smoke break turns into 10.

The next part so be finding a few sacrificial pipes to bring with me. As much as this sounds like a job for a cob, I'm not quite ready yet to bring a corn cob pipe to work. So that's going to be factory pipes. I'm on the fence between Grabows and basket briars. Something pocket friendly with a smaller bowl and I won't cry if it gets knocked about. Grabows seem made for that. But I've rescued some real gems from the basket.

I guess I have to go to the pipe store and see what they have.

So Mrs. Rookie declared yesterday as a day of hobbies. Seeing my chance, I hopped in my car and hit 2 of my top favorite B&M shops and picked up a pair of basket pipes for work. And while there, I snagged a couple tins. So now I have some good looking work pipes that can get knocked around in my pocket, with plans on grabbing a Dr. Grabow from the last drug store in my area that still sells them very soon. I used cobs in the past, but I got a little tired of the hillbilly jokes. And these, honestly, look a little nicer to customers walking in.

At the first shop, I picked up a tin of C&D Oriental Silk. That's been a favorite of mine for a little bit. I got it in bulk, but it was so dry it had to be rehydrated before smoking. I hope the tin will be better. The second shop stocks Sutliff aros and most of Mac Baron's tins. So I walked out with MB Symphony and Sutliff Blend #5. I hope to have my work blends in the big ol purchasing spree of April. Although if the past is any indication, my work tobaccos will be a codger or codger match. But either way, I'll still have good "windows open" smokes (tobaccos I can smoke on the front porch and Mrs. Rookie doesn't give me dirty looks as she shuts the windows) or basement workshop smokes.

And now, because everyone loves pictures, 16187562485424142137095316188944.jpg16187562839482292586565566456654.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
So Mrs. Rookie declared yesterday as a day of hobbies. Seeing my chance, I hopped in my car and hit 2 of my top favorite B&M shops and picked up a pair of basket pipes for work. And while there, I snagged a couple tins. So now I have some good looking work pipes that can get knocked around in my pocket, with plans on grabbing a Dr. Grabow from the last drug store in my area that still sells them very soon. I used cobs in the past, but I got a little tired of the hillbilly jokes. And these, honestly, look a little nicer to customers walking in.

At the first shop, I picked up a tin of C&D Oriental Silk. That's been a favorite of mine for a little bit. I got it in bulk, but it was so dry it had to be rehydrated before smoking. I hope the tin will be better. The second shop stocks Sutliff aros and most of Mac Baron's tins. So I walked out with MB Symphony and Sutliff Blend #5. I hope to have my work blends in the big ol purchasing spree of April. Although if the past is any indication, my work tobaccos will be a codger or codger match. But either way, I'll still have good "windows open" smokes (tobaccos I can smoke on the front porch and Mrs. Rookie doesn't give me dirty looks as she shuts the windows) or basement workshop smokes.

And now, because everyone loves pictures, View attachment 1253270View attachment 1253272
Outstanding!

So that was SWRA. Specifically, SWRA in a fresh MM Mark Twain in my front porch this evening after dinner watching the birds, neighborhood kids bike by, and neighborhood dogs airing their owners. Not too bad. I need to learn to smoke it slower, so it was a touch on the warmer side. But it was still good. Very good. I got vanilla and chocolate and a couple other unidentified flavors. A bit slower and I'll pull out more, more defined flavors I think.

Well, it's been about a year since I first saw a briar tobacco pipe as an option for me. And what a crazy year is been!

In my 11 months since I really started, this is what I've come up with. First and foremost, I do so love pipes and I'm a little lost as to why pipe smoking isn't more popular. I understand all the answers, but still, in my head the excuses ring a bit hollow. But that's fine, more for us! The ritualistic preparation and lighting is the best! And the woodcarver's art and skill!

Second thing is the tobaccos. I found myself reaching for burleys most often. Even Kentucky, if it's blended right. Burleys are my favorite, but I still like an English or Virginia if the mood strikes (which is still pretty often). And aromaticsI'm slowly making friends with. I think I needed to learn to smoke a pipe before trying an aro. But burley is king of my rotation. The only one I couldn't finish was Amphora. But even that, I may end up revisiting down the line one day to make sure it wasn't an inexperienced problem and not with the pouch.

I've found I like a little bit of a bend in my pipes. Nothing crazy, no Oom Paul (yet), but somewhere between an eighth and the step before full bent. I can clamp down if needed or hold it or set it down to rest. There's always something to lean it on to keep the bowl somewhat upright. But I still love my Canadian and want more from that family. And there's still a couple billiards I have my eye on (Savinelli Bing Crosby, I'm talking about you).

But the biggest surprise about pipe smoking is you guys here. I've never met a more helpful group of people than here in the Brown Leaf. Everyone here has been more than outstanding as far as helping a Rookie get his feet under him. Smoking a pipe has become very good for me. And it wouldn't have been nearly as good without all your help, support, advice, and generally good natured sharing of experiences. Again, thank you all for your constant help and encouragement along this journey!

Well this is cool! After rummaging around the cellar to see what I need, I found some Virginia blends coming up on aging milestones. Notably some PS LBF, along with a few 2oz samples of this and that vaper. And a couple tins and jars of English blends.

Which leads to a fun feature we haven't seen in a while here. Stupid Rookie Question of the Day! What are some good Virginia forward blends that taste good fresh/ young? I know you're supposed to age Virginias, and I have some doing time in the cellar. But are there any that don't necessarily have to be aged?

I'm putting together an order at Pipes and Cigars. As of now, I'm pretty set on aromatics. So far, I have a pound of Elizabethian Match (Victoria I think it's called?) in my cart. I liked that pretty well, the sample I had. I want a bunch of that to try it as it ages. And a few C&D oriental forward blends.

So for my first year in, I've just been learning how to use the pipes. And I'm getting much better. I think I figured out cadence. Just to practice more. And I thought I'd get to know burley. I've come to the conclusion that if it's a burley forward blend, I'll probably like it. No need just yet in finding "my" particular brand. I'm very happy with my Sutliff F&S and SWR. But the truth is, I've looked almost all I had for burley.

English blends I just wasn't ready for at the start. I have a few open jars and tins, but I don't reach for them as often. I need to smoke more of them to learn to look past heavy leather and peat. Aromatic tobaccos vary so wildly in almost every conceivable metric that I have to find my favorites, least favorites, and why to move anywhere helpful. And Kentucky I've learned are like onions for me. I love them as a condiment, but not a fan of them as the main attraction.

I've learned what I like in pipes. And then it all changed with the new teeth. But I still like what I like. It's just a matter of adjusting. I'm pretty well set on pipes, but that doesn't mean enough or I won't be getting more. But I'm getting better at knowing what I want.

And so that's where I am on my journey.

Did you ever break open the polarizing blends, Bill? I think you had Royal Yacht, Erinmore, and one or two Lakelands, if I remember correctly.
I'm sorry, I just saw this. I did smoke both. But just finished a bowl of Ennerdale Flake, so I'll give my fresh impressions of that now. Tomorrow I'll have Erinmore.

I get the "soapy" "grandma's purse" criticism. It's not a bad thing, but it's not what pipe tobacco is "supposed to" taste like. But the smoke itself was very pleasant. I found myself with my mind wandering smoking this. I like it. It's not an everyday smoke, but it's one I'll try to keep some around.

The biggest con I think was the flake is made from asbestos instead of tobacco. It does not like the match, lighter, or any other flame. Once it got going it was good. But getting it going was a trial.

Most importantly, the room note and mustache note got the best reaction yet of any tobacco I've tried.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I get the "soapy" "grandma's purse" criticism. It's not a bad thing, but it's not what pipe tobacco is "supposed to" taste like. But the smoke itself was very pleasant. I found myself with my mind wandering smoking this. I like it.

Yeah, I think it's in the top three in terms of "Lakeland essence" strength, with maybe only Grousemoor and Bosun being more "perfumed". I like it too, but again, as an occasional smoke .

The biggest con I think was the flake is made from asbestos instead of tobacco. It does not like the match, lighter, or any other flame. Once it got going it was good. But getting it going was a trial.

:lol1: Yup. Those Gawith flakes can sometimes seem too wet, even when they feel dry. I don't think anyone else slices flakes as thick. I often end up smoking them the day after packing, which seems to work well.

So for 2 nights in a row I've been out trying the Erinmore. First night my smoke was cut short due to toddler related issues. The flavor was great for the first 1/3rd of the bowl. Burned nicely with an almost candied fruit taste. The second night I was trying to smoke in 20mph winds. That burned hot and tasteless. But in those conditions, even the most well behaved tobaccos will act up.

So far, I prefer the Erinmore to the Lakeland for taste and ease of smoking. But Mrs. Rookie overwhelmingly likes the Ennerdale Flake. I would really like to get 2 new cobs and smoke both (at half bowl packs) back to back to tell for sure. But for now, I think I'll have both available to me.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
As you get into Lakelands, there are a couple of oddball blends I'd put on your radar: LJ Peretti No Name and LJ Peretti Original Mixture. They're both American burley-based blends, with a lakeland style topping. If you like Lakelands, give them a try.

Oh, and a note on Sam Gawith 1792--it's usually categorized as a lakeland, but the topping is VERY different. It's Tonquin bean, and quite polarizing. I like it but only when it's well aged; many hate it with a passion. If you're going to try that one, smoke it in a cob first. It will ghost anything it gets near. And for that matter, Lakelands ghost pretty strongly as well, so consider dedicating a pipe to Lakelands.

Top Bottom