What's new

So you talked me into it

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Well, my mirrors came in. Waiting for the blinkers, then the battery. I've (wisely?) decided the tire can wait until March when she comes out of the garage for the start of the season. All in all, a relatively cheap reminder of what we used to call situational awareness.

In tobacco related news, I've been smoking less pipes lately. I don't know why, beyond I'm just more tired at night now. Lately instead of coming out with a pipe, I've been going up to bed with a good book. I think I just need to make more of an effort.

I'm still having my CH on the drive to work and another burley on the drive home. It's the varieties at home in backing off of a little. Instead of a bowl or two in the evenings, it's a pipe every couple days for the past few weeks. I need to fix this!
The weather might also have something to do with it. If it's colder out it is just easier to pass on a bowl if even done subconsciously.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Lately instead of coming out with a pipe, I've been going up to bed with a good book. I think I just need to make more of an effort.
<snip>
Instead of a bowl or two in the evenings, it's a pipe every couple days for the past few weeks. I need to fix this!

Don't make it happen. Let it happen.
If you try to enjoy something that you're not in the mood for, you might come to resent it.

Sorry, need to make opportunities happen. Tweak little things to get me that 45 minutes. Warmer clothes, bring the book outside, something like that. I think if I put the mirrors on the bike, that'll help. Might be a little subconscious thought saying hoard the tobacco, I'm not sure when I'll be able to get more. My head knows when I'm ready for more, but that darn subconscious has never listened to reason.

I had to run to work yesterday and get caught up on paperwork. I got there and found most of a jar of Briarworks Country Lawyer on my desk. A guy there rolls pipe tobacco in cigarette tubes and didn't care for that. So he thought I might like it. I have given him stuff before, tobaccos I thought he might like.

I owe him a big thank you. It turns out dark Kentucky is really good as a component of a blend instead of by itself. That jar is what I was hoping dark Kentucky would be like. So the good news is those tins are moving from the "find someone who'll appreciate it" shelf to the "blending" shelf with my black cav. I'm still not in a hurry to find more, but now I'm curious to see what can be good "punched up a little".

The other thing thats slowly yet forcefully making itself seen is the parallels between pipe smoking and cooking. Yeah, really. Playing with flavors! Balancing mouth-feels! Right down to similar terminology (such as condiments or spice). Which makes sense to me. You eat with your eyes first, then nose. You know if you'll like a dish before the first forkful gets near your mouth. A short lifetime spent as a cook/ chef altered the rose color of the lenses I filter thing's through. Knowing how the tongue picks up flavors (sweet, sour, salt, and savory), and how the nose interprets those sensations. It makes it a very interesting study.

Thoughts like that with CH burning in a pipe while watching the birds at my feeders. Thoughts that kept me out of college.

I took a well deserved "mental health" day today. Unfortunately, an early morning dental appointment kept me from truly enjoying it, but I was able to save the afternoon! Took off to my nearest local state park and dove in amongst the trees.

I also managed two bowls in my big Savinelli in the woods. Ready Rub match while I was walking. It was so windy though it couldn't help but burn hot and fast. It was more ashy than I like, but that's nature for you. Still miles better than not smoking a pipe on a crisp coast autumn afternoon.

The second bowl was Carter Hall. Is there a situation where that's the wrong pouch for the occasion? Just sitting on a log, listening to nature all around me, with the pleasant earthy aromas of fallen leaves and that figgy/pruney/aniseed/ whatever flavors from the tobacco filling my nose and clinging to my beard.

I was told that Savinelli was a wonderful front porch swing smoker, and it really is. But it's also great as a walk/ hike in the woods pipe.

I do believe you are right. The Rookieguy is talking the talk and walking the walk. He really gets it. I believe we have a lifer here.
I have more time now and can properly answer that.

To start with, a while ago I had gotten back into my car after having smoked in it on the ride to wherever. I got back in and the smell of Carter Hall in Dodge fabric instantly brought me back to my grandfather. Steveclarkus here rediscovered an old favorite. As long as the pipes convince me to go back to another time for a little while, I'll be a lifer.

For $12 I can get a pretty darn good mid level cigar. Rocky Patel level. Or two house brands. So a good hour and a half smoking time. For that same $12 over at the pipe counter I have 3 ounces of tobacco (bulk), a cob, and pack of cleaners. Don't get me wrong, I was happy to buy the cigars, the $12 wasn't the issue. The bang for the buck is.

Want to hear something funny? I didn't get it until I stopped worrying about getting it. Once I realized that the best English or most popular aromatics or shiny new pipes articles from the interwebs didn't mean a thing. Once I realized that my bowls were staying lit, my blends were enjoyable to me, I think my pipes are pretty, in other words once I started smoking for me and not the internet hipsters. As Mrs. Rookie phrased it, I've found my zen. If that's getting it, then yeah I got it in spades. If not, that's fine too. Either way, I'll still be enjoying my Field and Stream Match from my il Cheapo brand basket pipe.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

To start with, a while ago I had gotten back into my car after having smoked in it on the ride to wherever. I got back in and the smell of Carter Hall in Dodge fabric instantly brought me back to my grandfather. Steveclarkus here rediscovered an old favorite. As long as the pipes convince me to go back to another time for a little while, I'll be a lifer.

For $12 I can get a pretty darn good mid level cigar. Rocky Patel level. Or two house brands. So a good hour and a half smoking time. For that same $12 over at the pipe counter I have 3 ounces of tobacco (bulk), a cob, and pack of cleaners. Don't get me wrong, I was happy to buy the cigars, the $12 wasn't the issue. The bang for the buck is.

Want to hear something funny? I didn't get it until I stopped worrying about getting it. Once I realized that the best English or most popular aromatics or shiny new pipes articles from the interwebs didn't mean a thing. Once I realized that my bowls were staying lit, my blends were enjoyable to me, I think my pipes are pretty, in other words once I started smoking for me and not the internet hipsters. As Mrs. Rookie phrased it, I've found my zen. If that's getting it, then yeah I got it in spades. If not, that's fine too. Either way, I'll still be enjoying my Field and Stream Match from my il Cheapo brand basket pipe.
Yeah, I quit my pipe for cigars about four years and finally got my act together and went back to pipes. I enjoy them much more and no longer have to fret over US Customs 😂. I’m currently in a CH loop I can’t seem to get out of. I’m thinking about getting some of the Match CH and giving that a try. If I do I’ll let you know. Sutliff has a reputation of making their Match blends better than the original but I can’t see that happening with CH but I’m going to find out by golly and get some more St Bruno at the same time. Those H.I.S. pipes are really good smokers. I have a bent one and it is really good. Had it for years. This is a stressful night. May not sleep till 3:00 AM like the last time.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

I just ordered 10 oz of Match CH and a pouch of St Bruno. If the Match is really close, it will be a significant savings. All the Match blends are on sale at P&C for $1.75 regardless of quantity.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

Yup, similar to my eureka moment. I realised I wasn't making it happen, rather just letting it happen. All the shopping neither adds to, nor takes away from, being in the moment of the smoke. Or being "elsewhere" in the moment, whichever is applicable to that particular smoke. It's a lot more expensive over here, at £15+/$20+ for a 50g tin/pouch, but for me, that's still 20-30 smokes, and all better ones than those one or two cigars.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Tokin Tommy said that a pouch of St Bruno was 11 pounds there and it is $11 here where a pouch of an American blend is $5 or $6 and about $1 cheaper per oz if bought in a 14oz tub - significantly more than it was five or six years ago. Pipe tobacco and cigars carried a much lower tax than cigarettes but they fixed that. We will always have tobacco because it is a huge source of revenue.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Tokin Tommy said that a pouch of St Bruno was 11 pounds there

When was that?
It's currently £16.50 for 50g ($21.50 USD), which is the upper end of the general range of £14.50 to £17.00 for pipe tobaccos. Gawiths and Peterson’s tend to be at the cheaper end of that range.

Still affordable at the rate I smoke though (under £10/month), and still cheaper than rolling tobacco. I also smoke A LOT more frequently if I lapse back into roll ups.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’m not sure when it was. He has been doing reviews for a long time I suppose. Most of the time tobacco he reviews aren’t even available here. I just like his accent. I ordered St Bruno last night and it was $11.55. It fits in well with American codgers but VA based with DFK.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I’m not sure when it was. He has been doing reviews for a long time I suppose. Most of the time tobacco he reviews aren’t even available here. I just like his accent. I ordered St Bruno last night and it was $11.55. It fits in well with American codgers but VA based with DFK.

Just an aside, I think a lot of the dark fired tobaccos in many European blends, are not Kentucky. I believe many are Virginias rather than Burley. Same process probably, but different location and leaf. Just reading between the lines, and the blenders tend to be far from clear in their divulgences, so I may have misinterpreted.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Just an aside, I think a lot of the dark fired tobaccos in many European blends, are not Kentucky. I believe many are Virginias rather than Burley. Same process probably, but different location and leaf. Just reading between the lines, and the blenders tend to be far from clear in their divulgences, so I may have misinterpreted.
I just got that from the description on TR but something is giving it that full roundness of a Burley. Has some of the same properties of Carter Hall, specifically the tangy citrus as well as about the same sweetness but the floral flavor rather than whisky, nicotine and cut are worlds apart. Both push the same buttons for me though. I really like it but must smoke it judiciously to make it last.

I was going to looking for your review on a couple more days. Thank you! I've seen this in the wild before. Always picked it up, always put it back saying "next time". Sounds like it's worth a try next time I see it.

I didn't mean to start comparing currencies. Whether dollars, pounds Sterling, Euro, rubles, rupees, or live chickens and seashells, pipe tobacco is a cheaper long run option for tobacco consumption than cigarettes. Nasal snuff gives it a good run for its money, but that's about it.

In other news, I'm really digging this Canadian! I've had a good few bowls smoked through it, enough to give good first impressions.

It's dark outside where I smoke. But inside where I load it, it always makes me stop and look at it. Kind of like walking up to my motorcycle. I'm not sure how good a job the filter is doing, but I can't tell it's there. It does pass a pipe cleaner. And it smokes very smooth, very easy smoker.

I can really see the grandkids getting excited to pull this one out and tell them inappropriate stories by the fire.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I was going to looking for your review on a couple more days. Thank you! I've seen this in the wild before. Always picked it up, always put it back saying "next time". Sounds like it's worth a try next time I see it.

I didn't mean to start comparing currencies. Whether dollars, pounds Sterling, Euro, rubles, rupees, or live chickens and seashells, pipe tobacco is a cheaper long run option for tobacco consumption than cigarettes. Nasal snuff gives it a good run for its money, but that's about it.

In other news, I'm really digging this Canadian! I've had a good few bowls smoked through it, enough to give good first impressions.

It's dark outside where I smoke. But inside where I load it, it always makes me stop and look at it. Kind of like walking up to my motorcycle. I'm not sure how good a job the filter is doing, but I can't tell it's there. It does pass a pipe cleaner. And it smokes very smooth, very easy smoker.

I can really see the grandkids getting excited to pull this one out and tell them inappropriate stories by the fire.

I must have missed your post in the Canadian. What make is it?

It's a Brigham from their Klondike line. 16045730745299188109966804385608.jpg
It's a little darker than the picture shows.

So today was absolutely gorgeous! High just at 70 without a cloud in the sky. So we loaded up the kids and took off for what's probably the last trip to see the ocean this year. Our favorite beach is Assateague Island, they have feral ponies there.

Anyways, since I started smoking a pipe, I got it in my head that I must enjoy a pipe where North America meets the Atlantic. So I had my chance today. I brought some CH and my bent H.I.S. I should have known I was in trouble when I wasted so much tobacco trying to load it. It kept blowing away. The wind kept it burning hot. Uncomfortable to hold hot. I dumped it and decided it wasn't the time or place. It was windy enough that I kept the snuff in my pocket, I didn't even try that.

I haven't given up yet though. I know there's gotta be a way to sidestep the wind. And I have until January to figure it out.

Top Bottom