What's new

So you talked me into it

This Dublin smokes very nice for its first run out. I'm not done yet, but my fears about the draw are put to rest. The smoke is smooth and dry. It's one vulcanized stem from being the perfect jaw hanger. But my fingers and thumb can grip it naturally and comfortably.

Time will be the final judge, but I think I found the pipe for gathering up the grandkids and telling them the stories and lies our graveyards told us as kids.

The tobacco is a new one for me too. Sutliff Elizabethan Match. Very good, like an everyday vaper that I can enjoy the day it shows up in the mail. I want to have a few more bowls to be sure, but it's a good blend.

Hey. It's been a while. Mostly work's fault. It was crazy a month ago, now it's getting insane. Lucky I have my little tricks to hold it together. Tricks like a cob full of CH on my way to work, another cob of Edward G. Robinson (one of Mrs. Rookie's favorites) on the way home, and a bowl of anything else I want once the kids are down.

I tried a new blends over the last week. Old Joe Kranz White. It was very cigar-ey, not in a bad way though. But still, not one of my favorites. This will be a fun one to add stuff to though.

Over the weekend I tried mowing the lawn with a pipe. Methinks some of you out there have riding lawnmowers. Using an older push mower, cob clenched firmly in my teeth and pushing it uphill, I inhaled a little bit of smoke I wasn't ready for. Let's say from now on, a pipe and beer are rewards for AFTER the work is done. Like when your friends help you move. "No, Kevin! Beer AFTER you move my TV in!"

So that's about it. Other than that, just trying to enjoy it as it comes. And on that note, I'm off to hunt up my bent billiard. Last night I unearthed 2 errant PS LTF flakes from when I bought it for cellaring purposes.

I’ve mowed the lawn while smoking pipes more than a few times, but my mower is a walk behind self-propelled. Before I took back up the pipes, I always smoked a cigar while mowing. I kept cheap “yard cigars” for that purpose. I still may occasionally have a pipe while mowing, but I find the mowing goes faster without futzing around with the pipe, and the pipe, post mowing is more enjoyable.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Hey. It's been a while. Mostly work's fault. It was crazy a month ago, now it's getting insane. Lucky I have my little tricks to hold it together. Tricks like a cob full of CH on my way to work, another cob of Edward G. Robinson (one of Mrs. Rookie's favorites) on the way home, and a bowl of anything else I want once the kids are down.

I tried a new blends over the last week. Old Joe Kranz White. It was very cigar-ey, not in a bad way though. But still, not one of my favorites. This will be a fun one to add stuff to though.

Over the weekend I tried mowing the lawn with a pipe. Methinks some of you out there have riding lawnmowers. Using an older push mower, cob clenched firmly in my teeth and pushing it uphill, I inhaled a little bit of smoke I wasn't ready for. Let's say from now on, a pipe and beer are rewards for AFTER the work is done. Like when your friends help you move. "No, Kevin! Beer AFTER you move my TV in!"

So that's about it. Other than that, just trying to enjoy it as it comes. And on that note, I'm off to hunt up my bent billiard. Last night I unearthed 2 errant PS LTF flakes from when I bought it for cellaring purposes.
It doesn’t work with a riding mower either but a real treat afterwards.

I have tried both pipe and cigar while busy with "chores". I find the chores take longer (fussing with pipe or cigar), and the smoke is not as enjoyable or relaxing (chores). I'm with Steve . . . I wait until I'm finished, and it is something of a reward for finishing.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Stuff like that is when I have my "busy man's" smokes.

Do a bit of work, have a 5 min smoke break, do a little more, have another break...

I find I achieve more by having those little smoke (and think) breaks, especially when things aren't going as planned to start with. Also, when having those smokes and surveying the scene when a task is done, I'll often think "Ooh, I'll just do that, while I'm here", and something that might have been tedious for half an hour, becomes fulfilling for two or more hours (health permitting).

You know, I've really grown in my tobacco usage lately. They're slowly getting regulated on how I use them. Or, rather, I'm beginning to see how they all fit into my lifestyle.

I have enjoyed cigars in the past, but I (me personally) find cigars to be a social thing. I've never enjoyed a cigar more than with a friend or two or more. If we're getting together, I'll stop at the shop and grab half a dozen sticks (with the understanding they buy me a Scotch). But not really the thing for working, nor as good on the front porch as the pipe.

Snuff has found a place where I can't smoke. Mostly at work. Or a friend's car, it'll be great at kids school functions.

Pipes! How I wish I started smoking a pipe earlier! Just what the doctor ordered for front porch sitting, hiking, long drives, or dark liquor drinking. If it's to do with relaxation, I've found my go to.

And lastly, these paper wrapped filtered demons. I'm not done with them yet, there's still a place in Rookie's world for a cigarette. Second place first, because sometimes I just need 5 minutes. A customer, wife, fellow motorists sometimes the best thing is a 5 minute smoke break to get my head back together. The biggest niche they fill is driving. It's muscle memory at this point. If I'm driving, there a lit cigarette. Lately it's been the pipe in my car, but not anyone else's.

And I'm down to about a pack a day! For me, that's significant progress. My enjoyment of tobacco is of the charts now compared to just a year ago. It's been a heluvan education.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
You know, I've really grown in my tobacco usage lately. They're slowly getting regulated on how I use them. Or, rather, I'm beginning to see how they all fit into my lifestyle.

I have enjoyed cigars in the past, but I (me personally) find cigars to be a social thing. I've never enjoyed a cigar more than with a friend or two or more. If we're getting together, I'll stop at the shop and grab half a dozen sticks (with the understanding they buy me a Scotch). But not really the thing for working, nor as good on the front porch as the pipe.

Snuff has found a place where I can't smoke. Mostly at work. Or a friend's car, it'll be great at kids school functions.

Pipes! How I wish I started smoking a pipe earlier! Just what the doctor ordered for front porch sitting, hiking, long drives, or dark liquor drinking. If it's to do with relaxation, I've found my go to.

And lastly, these paper wrapped filtered demons. I'm not done with them yet, there's still a place in Rookie's world for a cigarette. Second place first, because sometimes I just need 5 minutes. A customer, wife, fellow motorists sometimes the best thing is a 5 minute smoke break to get my head back together. The biggest niche they fill is driving. It's muscle memory at this point. If I'm driving, there a lit cigarette. Lately it's been the pipe in my car, but not anyone else's.

And I'm down to about a pack a day! For me, that's significant progress. My enjoyment of tobacco is of the charts now compared to just a year ago. It's been a heluvan education.
I was smoking three packs of Camels a day before I finally quit so I know where you are coming from. Giving up cigarettes was one thing but completely giving up tobacco has proved impossible. I simply love tobacco and have no intention of living without it and I’ve found pipes to be the most wonderful way to consume it and consume it I do - a lot. Grab a tub of CH, kick back and enjoy your time my friend. No guilt in that.

I'd smoke pipes more often if I could! Partially because I would like to have that many free hours in a day. Partially because I wasn't paying attention last night to the fact that my new Canadian is a good inch longer than my other pipe and I poked myself with it. But mostly because I enjoy the ritual so. Looking at what I have, choosing the right pipe for it, the whole fiddling with it throughout the smoke, trying to make smoke rings when nobody is looking.

It's also that time of the year when a pipe in the woods feels so good! This mid fall season is wonderful in a forest. All the beautiful trees is the obvious reason, but you don't really get a good view of that from inside the forest. Instead, I must console myself with seeing the animals scurrying about getting the last of the food for winter. Watching the migrating birds pass through my region on their way to warmer climates.

I've missed a lot this year. I haven't been able to get out much on the bike (less cars means the cars that are out are driving much faster and more aggressively, and not a much has been open), work has kept me from my favorite hunting spots, with fishing being one of the few family activities open to us all summer that has changed for me the nature of the sport. I had three weeks vacation paid out to me in March, so I've been starting over from scratch this summer. Camping has been closed, for a long while our state parks have been "closed" (they locked the gates, but never stopped anyone from walking or biking in), as well as beaches.

I'm glad I found pipes this year though. It's not the same as actually getting out and away, but it's still an hour or so I'm forcing myself outside. Not just outside, but outside relaxing, resting, letting my mind wander. The things that are good for my mental well-being. Those chunks of briar (or corn cob) and acrylic have done much to keep me as close to sane as I'll get.

In order to protect my eye, I went with my recently added Savinelli tonight. I'm not ready for tomorrow (Monday) and wanted to put it off as long as possible. So a big bowled chunk of briar to put off the dead of looming doom by enjoying an old favorite. Haunted Bookshop just felt right tonight.

So about two or three weeks ago, it was a gorgeous Sunday. Nice temperature, cloudy sky, and dry roads. So I decided to treat myself to a nice leisurely cruise on my motorcycle. I put on all my gear, walk around the bike, then get on and head out.

My first stop was the school parking lot. Before any pleasure riding, I always stop there and run a few drills. Braking, turning, weaving, U turns, making sure my mirrors are still good. Safety first, no such thing as too much training, right? Well I'm satisfied., everything is good to go. Virginia's Shenandoah wine country, here I come! Exiting the parking lot, as I stopped for cross traffic, I put my foot down on some leaves. Yup, my foot slid out and I did a split as this big 400lbs bike came down between my legs at a stop.

All in all, practically no damage. I pulled groin muscle, that's it. The bike took it just as well. I'll need a new mirror (a set that just came in the mail coincidentally), new rear blinker, and battery. And it's about time for a new rear tire. Without the tire, less than $500. I got off so light.

And all that is to say this. I have entered a period where I start learning to really appreciate what I have. I'm set with pipes, well, forever if need be. And I have enough tobacco to keep me puffing away all winter. It's a good time to enjoy what I have. (In other words, there will be no new purchases for a little while.)

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Sorry about the splits big guy. Your writings did inspire me to go out and get a pack of Carter Hall though. I hadn’t smoked it in the past three or four years and I’m glad I have it now. The pouch wasn’t properly sealed and it is a bit dry but still smokes well and I’m rehydrating it. That slight bourbon casing comes through nicely - mild
And absolutely delightful. I can see a tub in the near future. Thanks for reminding me. This is really good stuff!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Glad you weren't hurt worse, mate. Physically or financially.

I've just hit that "settled" feeling with pipes too. Oddly, it wasn't the £120 I spent on three pipes for birthday and Christmas that did it, as much as two small £5 cobs, and kicking another pipe out of the array. With tobacco, buying five empty tins for £6 to manage whatever I'm smoking at the moment settled me down too.

Knocking the acquisitions on the head does take some of the thrill away, but doesn't diminish the enjoyment of the smokes, and I'm really enjoying focussing on what's here, rather than what's not here. I'm sure you will too.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Glad to hear your injuries were minor my friend.

I'm getting to a place where I am content with both my horde and my pipes. Some time spent enjoying what I have and being thankful for it is in order. I hope to hold off my TAD until the next Esoterica drop if I'm lucky enough to come across something special.

I already have enough tobacco to last me decades and no shortage of fine smoking pipes either. Time to enjoy them!

Well, my mirrors came in. Waiting for the blinkers, then the battery. I've (wisely?) decided the tire can wait until March when she comes out of the garage for the start of the season. All in all, a relatively cheap reminder of what we used to call situational awareness.

In tobacco related news, I've been smoking less pipes lately. I don't know why, beyond I'm just more tired at night now. Lately instead of coming out with a pipe, I've been going up to bed with a good book. I think I just need to make more of an effort.

I'm still having my CH on the drive to work and another burley on the drive home. It's the varieties at home in backing off of a little. Instead of a bowl or two in the evenings, it's a pipe every couple days for the past few weeks. I need to fix this!

Top Bottom