What's new

So you talked me into it

This is a good hijack though. Especially since now it's turning to snuff, something I don't know enough about yet.

Around these parts, tobacco is low hanging fruit. It's easy to demonize. Point to cigarettes and children. Pipe tobacco and, to a much lesser extent cigars (our politicians and wealthy still smoke them) get caught up in all of that mass hysteria.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'll just enjoy it while it lasts :D I'm no more obsessed with an impending tobaccolypse than any other pessimistic life changing (or ending) scenario 🤣

Right now, I can enjoy a pipe of tobacco or pinch of snuff. In future years I may need to enjoy something else instead. I'm OK with that. If they don't get the fungus under control, bananas may no longer be an affordable basic food soon. I'm not planning on buying in bulk, in order to dehydrate and build up a 50kg+ lifetime supply of banana though :lol:

I'll worry about, and enjoy, the present, and face each future change as and when it presents itself.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I'll just enjoy it while it lasts :D I'm no more obsessed with an impending tobaccolypse than any other pessimistic life changing (or ending) scenario 🤣

Right now, I can enjoy a pipe of tobacco or pinch of snuff. In future years I may need to enjoy something else instead. I'm OK with that. If they don't get the fungus under control, bananas may no longer be an affordable basic food soon. I'm not planning on buying in bulk, in order to dehydrate and build up a 50kg+ lifetime supply of banana though :lol:

I'll worry about, and enjoy, the present, and face each future change as and when it presents itself.
I feel like you are definitely neglecting your banana future...for shame.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I feel like you are definitely neglecting your banana future...for shame.

Absolutely! Live dangerously! No fear!

Some people race motorbikes, some people skydive, some do ultimate fighting, some do journalism in war zones. I shop without hoarding bananas and tobacco. The imminent danger of tobaccolypse and bananalypse makes me feel ALIVE! :p

Last edited:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Absolutely! Live dangerously! No fear!

Some people race motorbikes, some people skydive, some do ultimate fighting, some do journalism in war zones. I shop without hoarding bananas and tobacco. The imminent danger of tobaccolypse and bananalypse makes me feel ALIVE! :p
I don’t do any of those things and I don’t eat bananas or any other fruit for that matter but i smoke and when my wife retires I want to be sure I have lot of tobacco stashed away 😂.

First thing I plan to do, is nail down my preferred codgers and order a pound or 2 of them, and a few 1/2 pounds of others.

Then I will work my way through other styles and behave accordingly.

Last edited:

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
That is good news. Any particular brand?
I have some Red Seal, Brutton's, and Garrett and Sons. It's all about the same really. Slight differences are detectable but not so drastic that I prefer one over another. Virtually the same grind and moisture for all. Fine and dry mostly.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have some Red Seal, Brutton's, and Garrett and Sons. It's all about the same really. Slight differences are detectable but not so drastic that I prefer one over another. Virtually the same grind and moisture for all. Fine and dry mostly.
Thanks. Sort of what I expected.

Yeah, the sweet. The store I went to switched from Silver Dollar to Garrett &Sons. The sweet starts off sweet, but that settles down real quick. Just a quick shot then mellows to a nice earthy feeling.

So something sad happen today. I lost a cob! Some [expletive deleted] brake checked me on the commute home. The cob rolled off the console onto the floor. And a bag full of scrap copper and brass rolled off the seat onto the same but of floor the pipe was occupying. 7 pounds of copper and 12 of brass crunched it. If anyone was wondering what the crush weight of a Missouri Meerschaum Legend is, it's less than 20 pounds.

But aside from that, it was still a good day. A nice bowl of Carter Hall with my morning cup of Tim Hortons on the way of work. Work was productive.

Actually, Work has been a lot more productive lately now that I'm tossing in an hourly pinch of snuff. I'm no longer getting trapped in the time waste that are cigarette breaks. I'm down to 4 cigarette breaks a day (5 if you count the morning meeting one with my supervisor and Low Man, but I don't since that's actually working) (and I'm still a chimney behind the wheel, but I'm doing less driving now that we hired Low Man).

I'm still working hard for those 10 hours a day I'm there, both physically and mentally. Son is taking over from the father. So lots of big changes happening rapidly. And that's put a damper on my pipe smoking lately. The times after the kids go to bed, I'll usually come out for a nice quiet smoke as my nightcap. Lately once the kids are tucked in, I'll lock up and go to bed. I'd much rather stay up and poke you guys with sticks while enjoying a bright cheery vaper or dark brooding English (by this time I've already had 2 bowls of Burley).

Wait a minute. I'm going to be very early and I'm well into my second cup when the sun rises. I'm using (something very close to) a straight when I'm not using my safety razor. Smoking a pipe, missing how little stuff used to cost, looking at strip malls telling my kids how it used to be woodlands. Am... am I fast tracking to codgerdom?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
So something sad happen today. I lost a cob! Some [expletive deleted] brake checked me on the commute home. The cob rolled off the console onto the floor. And a bag full of scrap copper and brass rolled off the seat onto the same but of floor the pipe was occupying. 7 pounds of copper and 12 of brass crunched it. If anyone was wondering what the crush weight of a Missouri Meerschaum Legend is, it's less than 20 pounds.

But aside from that, it was still a good day. A nice bowl of Carter Hall with my morning cup of Tim Hortons on the way of work. Work was productive.

Actually, Work has been a lot more productive lately now that I'm tossing in an hourly pinch of snuff. I'm no longer getting trapped in the time waste that are cigarette breaks. I'm down to 4 cigarette breaks a day (5 if you count the morning meeting one with my supervisor and Low Man, but I don't since that's actually working) (and I'm still a chimney behind the wheel, but I'm doing less driving now that we hired Low Man).

I'm still working hard for those 10 hours a day I'm there, both physically and mentally. Son is taking over from the father. So lots of big changes happening rapidly. And that's put a damper on my pipe smoking lately. The times after the kids go to bed, I'll usually come out for a nice quiet smoke as my nightcap. Lately once the kids are tucked in, I'll lock up and go to bed. I'd much rather stay up and poke you guys with sticks while enjoying a bright cheery vaper or dark brooding English (by this time I've already had 2 bowls of Burley).

Wait a minute. I'm going to be very early and I'm well into my second cup when the sun rises. I'm using (something very close to) a straight when I'm not using my safety razor. Smoking a pipe, missing how little stuff used to cost, looking at strip malls telling my kids how it used to be woodlands. Am... am I fast tracking to codgerdom?
Don’t resist it. Codgerdom is a pretty peaceful place.

Top Bottom