What's new

So you talked me into it

I wish! I'm in the warehouse department. Fleet manager, technically, but there's only 3 of us in the whole department. The Purchasing Manager, Fleet Manager, and Dave. Between us, we keep the shelves full and purchases and stocking for everyday items (my job) and special ordering and project ordering. We have a fleet of 18 plumbers and three electricians. But I make nowhere near what a journeyman plumber makes. I just barely make what a second year apprentice makes. Office's reasoning is that since we're not actively bringing in money, our checks aren't as big. I'm calling shenanigans on that, but not very loudly.

I don't usually see, hear, talk to, or in any other way interact with our customers. That right there is worth a few bucks for me. The other thing is that since we're not a big company, everyone has a voice. Almost a full 2/3 of the things we do were ideas employees had at one point. I'm not making what I should, but I'm trading that for I'm not just another employee.

Also, c'mon Friday! Get here already! I'm ready to order those pipes!

I'm also running away with the family to the beach this weekend. It'll be a little chilly for swimming, but jeans and a t shirt is a definite possibility though. The off season is great too. There's hardly anybody there. And the beach we go to, Assateague Island, has wild ponies that foam freely. Everybody likes ponies!

I'm thinking this is a job for a cob? Windy and sandy beach. Not bringing many pipes or much tobacco. Not more than 2 of each. But I think I need to smoke a pipe at the seashore when given the opportunity.

It'll take under a week with standard free shipping, according to the website. As long as it's not USPS, as they've been not great lately.

My entire pipe rotation thus far is the result of "Hey that looks cool! I have enough on me to buy it!" The cobs, I wanted cobs walking in. I wasn't thinking Eaton or Legend, just I want a cob. But everything else, nope. Just oh neat. These two are the first ones I've put thought into. I've read about, looked at reviews, and comparison shopped.

Huh. They can't just go on the top shelf of the closet with the basket beauties. I'll have to get a stand or something. Well, it's still cheaper than camera lenses or motorcycle parts.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
It'll take under a week with standard free shipping, according to the website. As long as it's not USPS, as they've been not great lately.

My entire pipe rotation thus far is the result of "Hey that looks cool! I have enough on me to buy it!" The cobs, I wanted cobs walking in. I wasn't thinking Eaton or Legend, just I want a cob. But everything else, nope. Just oh neat. These two are the first ones I've put thought into. I've read about, looked at reviews, and comparison shopped.

Huh. They can't just go on the top shelf of the closet with the basket beauties. I'll have to get a stand or something. Well, it's still cheaper than camera lenses or motorcycle parts.
Actually a pipe rack full of pipes is truly a beautiful thing. I find myself staring at mine frequently. Ahh feels 😊

I like the looks of them when they're done right. It's a fun way to showcase them. I just need to find a place to store them. Somewhere accessible by a six foot man with long arms but not to a 10 year old child, or 3 year old toddler. Something hanging, I think.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I like the looks of them when they're done right. It's a fun way to showcase them. I just need to find a place to store them. Somewhere accessible by a six foot man with long arms but not to a 10 year old child, or 3 year old toddler. Something hanging, I think.

Wall mounted and lockable? Some other lockable box? It likely won't be long before the 10 year old can reach everywhere you can.

Well, it's payday! All my overtime and mileage made it to the check. I'll deposit that at some point today and get that order in tonight! I *should* have them by Wednesday.

The mileage check put me able to add a couple ounces of a favorite blend. SoI'm tossing in 4 oz of Field and Stream. And 2 of Ready Rub match. With enough left over to get started feeding the pig again.

I think I'm going to keep feeding the piggy bank for tobacco related buying. Other than a very occasional tobacco or antique store impulse buy of course. But keep it limited to a $20 budget that includes those "don't count" options. So a $7 cob and $3 of cleaners and filters leaves me $10 for tobacco or antique shops.

I put my order in just now. Standard free shipping, they say 3-5 days. So, well see.

Screenshot_20200830-110635_Chrome.jpg This pipe,
Screenshot_20200830-110605_Chrome.jpg this pipe, 5 pouches of CH, 4 ounces of Field and Stream Match, and 2 ounces of Sutliff Ready Rub because I heard somewhere it was pretty half decent.

I am looking forward to trying a name brand pipe. But moreover, from what the pictures show, that finish! I very much prefer smooth finish to sandblasted or rusticated. Personal preference, I just like the way they look. And that darker stain compliments the grain rather than highlights it.

Rest assured, pics will follow.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I put my order in just now. Standard free shipping, they say 3-5 days. So, well see.

View attachment 1163211 This pipe,
View attachment 1163212 this pipe, 5 pouches of CH, 4 ounces of Field and Stream Match, and 2 ounces of Sutliff Ready Rub because I heard somewhere it was pretty half decent.

I am looking forward to trying a name brand pipe. But moreover, from what the pictures show, that finish! I very much prefer smooth finish to sandblasted or rusticated. Personal preference, I just like the way they look. And that darker stain compliments the grain rather than highlights it.

I prefer the smooth finish as well but there are times we must compromise our desires. 😂

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I like smooth finishes too, but the ones that really catch my eye, are the partially rusticated/textured ones. Brandon's Chacom Oscar is a good example.

They do look like nice pipes Rookie. I look forward to the pics. :thumbsup:

View attachment 1163211 This pipe,
View attachment 1163212 this pipe, 5 pouches of CH, 4 ounces of Field and Stream Match, and 2 ounces of Sutliff Ready Rub because I heard somewhere it was pretty half decent.

That's a lovely looking Canadian. What make is it - another Brigham?

Yeah, they're both Brigham pipes. The first pic is the Klondike line (I'm a huge Jack London fan) and the second from the Heritage series.

I guess levels of fit and finish? The bowls are about the same size, within a fraction of 3/4" by 1-1/2" (or 19kt by 38kt for our metric brethren). The only difference I can see from pictures is the stain colors. I don't immediately see the $25 difference otherwise. But no matter. For the price and reviews of smoking abilities (the worst reviews I've seen say "not for me") it's a cross between bargain and investment.

Mrs. Rookie reminded me of something this morning. Somewhere around the first week of September, I tossed a cob into the Amazon cart. We tend to order about one a month. And she told me this morning that my Old Dominion cob pipe was ordered up the other day. I completely forgot about that. So I can soon get my Granny Hawkins on!

"kt"? Guessing you mean "mm" (millimetres)?
Yeah. That's something I started off doing as a joke almost 20 years ago. Poking fun at one of my favorite American stereotypes, our refusal to use metric. I'd say 10 miles (or 16 ml), 55 gallons (or 208 kg). The way we try to communicate with non English speaking people (very loud and very slow English) is my second favorite true stereotype. The numbers will be right for any conversions I give though.

Top Bottom