What's new

So you talked me into it

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I wouldn't totally rule out Kentucky, give it time.

Agreed!

I really didn't like HH Old Dark Fired. It was like smoking clods of earth that had diesel spilled on it. Grim. I didn't even managed to finish the bowl.

However, Coniston Cut Plug Unscented is a semi-regular one for me, and that's 75% dark fired.

Likewise, many Virginias taste of nothing, almost like hot air to me, but some are excellent. For me, Full Virginia Flake was tasteless, but Germain's Brown Flake is superb. Writing off whole genres because of one or two disappointing blends could rob you of some favourites.

Fair enough. Instead, I'll focus my time and money elsewhere for the moment. Free to come back, but not for now. Especially when I have all this! 16010821554467176105157928593000.jpg16010821812399121618702330064904.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Good call!

You have plenty there to enjoy, and take time to understand. Remember, shopping and smoking are two separate hobbies, and you don't need to do a heck of a lot of one to enjoy the other.

Let the shopping be done for a while, till the envelope is full anyway, and just dwell on what you have. Whatever and one else has and likes is irrelevant. You could easily spend the rest of this year in tobacco bliss, and never need more than the occasional top up of filters (if you use them) and cleaners. After that, you'll shop more wisely, and avoid the booboo I made, of buying a load of stuff that's not suited to me. :D

Of course, something else will probably pop up to tempt you in about an hour or so... 🤣

So that's what I just did, rotate my rotation. I didn't count them this time, I have the heart. I didn't even realize I had that many different jars! A fresh reminder that I have enough for now, so keep on filling that piggy bank. I think I'm done buying anything other than filters for a while. I'm wondering if I shouldn't put the tobacco back on the shelf from my cart, except for the CH. Al, of course something will tempt me. I don't think it'll take a whole hour either. But that's what the piggy bank is for.

So most of that lives in the basement. But I keep 8-10 in regular rotation. Those stay right by the front door in the closet, all the way on the top shelf, out of sight unless you're looking for it. It's so nice and homey to walk in and smell the lingering pipe tobacco aroma. We've had a couple people over and they remarked on whatever essential oils we were burning was perfect. The decor of the room I had a hand in. So you walk into my house and immediately smell pipe tobacco and see paintings of old wooden sailing ships.

And this is the sort of things I think about as I sit and enjoy a bowl of Revelation Match in my Jet Stream. Like why I do the GRUMEs most months. Time to learn to live what I've got.

So on a whim, I reread the entire thread and it persuaded me to pull out the ounce of haunted bookshop that I had and give it another go. (Probably been over a year). Sorry, still didn’t like it. As far as Kentucky’s go though, give Newminster superior round slices a try. You may find your compromise. (In a good way).

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
A fresh reminder that I have enough for now, so keep on filling that piggy bank. I think I'm done buying anything other than filters for a while. I'm wondering if I shouldn't put the tobacco back on the shelf from my cart, except for the CH.

Can I give you a little tip...?

So most of that lives in the basement. But I keep 8-10 in regular rotation. Those stay right by the front door in the closet, all the way on the top shelf, out of sight unless you're looking for it.

... don't do that. 🤣

If I need to reach for a pipe to smoke, I open the drawer, and see all of them. I'm leaving no more than two samples to smoke out at a time, and when I need another, I open that drawer and see all of them. When I come round to actually smoking the tins I have stashed, I'll only keep a couple out, and when I fancy a change, I'll have to open the drawer and see all of them too.

I'm constantly getting a visual reminder that I already have more than enough. Or in the case of filters and cleaners, running low. Or that everything has a large bowl, when I want a small bowl. You get the idea. That all helps me keep it a smoking hobby, and not a shopping hobby. ;) Obviously, if you want to do both, have at it, but you sound like you're on the same page as me, and are wanting acquisition order, not disorder. :)

I can't fit all my tobacco where I can reach it. Or, rather, it won't fit where I keep the pipes and rotation now. Where it is, the kids can't reach or even see it. I can fit it all in the basement, but it's a real PITA to get to. Again, by design. I want to keep little hands out of the jars.

And with the 6 of us in the house, I'm stuck using the space I can find with the requirements I need (accessible to adults but hard, if not impossible, for kids). Eventually when my 3 year old is old enough that I'm not going to worry about her getting into it, and after the anti smoking stuff at school is over, it'll all come up and be displayed proudly. But we're not there yet.

And it's not that I really want any kind of disorder, acquisition or otherwise. But I'm not ready to buy pounds of anything, I'm not sure what to buy pounds of yet.

And Rotflmao, there's no need to apologize for not liking something. That's why there's 57 pages of bulk tobacco and another 45 of tinned on most sites. Imagine how boring the world would be if we all liked the same thing!

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I can't fit all my tobacco where I can reach it. Or, rather, it won't fit where I keep the pipes and rotation now. Where it is, the kids can't reach or even see it. I can fit it all in the basement, but it's a real PITA to get to. Again, by design. I want to keep little hands out of the jars.

And with the 6 of us in the house, I'm stuck using the space I can find with the requirements I need (accessible to adults but hard, if not impossible, for kids). Eventually when my 3 year old is old enough that I'm not going to worry about her getting into it, and after the anti smoking stuff at school is over, it'll all come up and be displayed proudly. But we're not there yet.

And it's not that I really want any kind of disorder, acquisition or otherwise. But I'm not ready to buy pounds of anything, I'm not sure what to buy pounds of yet.

And Rotflmao, there's no need to apologize for not liking something. That's why there's 57 pages of bulk tobacco and another 45 of tinned on most sites. Imagine how boring the world would be if we all liked the same thing!

No kids here, but my brother has the same problem, little fingers getting into everything. He's got three, ranging from 6 years down to six months.

I only said what I did, because "rotations" feed acquisition disorders. It does create order out of chaos, but your mind can get tricked into thinking the small subset that's left out being all you have, leading to the desire for more, even though you have a ton of it downstairs :D

After all, that's what rotations are for, convincing yourself you have a sensible amount, and the rest is reserves for "just in case", in process (ageing), or some other justification like collecting. :tongue_sm

That's why I only leave two tobaccos out. That's my inbuilt meter of how much I should have as a sensible amount, and to differentiate it from the educational stuff (samples), and processing stuff (ageing stock). If I end up with three tobaccos out, it feels very wrong. Doesn't just apply to tobaccos of course. Shaving soap, razors, clothing and accessories, all play off the same psychology. You see it with people who have too many clothes, so they split it up into a summer and winter wardrobe, and then end up with twice as many clothesas they did before :lol: as you found out, seeing it all in one place, changes your perspectives on what you need, unless you are actively stockpiling of course.

Preach it. We had a cold snap recently, and SWMBO started talking about pulling the bins with her "winter clothes" out of the crawl space.

If I tried that with tobaccos I would soon be living in a ditch somewhere.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Preach it. We had a cold snap recently, and SWMBO started talking about pulling the bins with her "winter clothes" out of the crawl space.

If I tried that with tobaccos I would soon be living in a ditch somewhere.

Thankfully, I've only got myself to annoy, but at times I think a wife might be easier to please 🤣

Oh. For me, rotations are just that, rotations. Clothes, fishing and camping gear, foods and beverages, one day soaps and aftershaves. I'm not fooled into thinking I don't have enough jeans because they're in storage in the summer. When space is limited, I have out what's appropriate for the circumstances.

Right now, I have enough variety to start spending a month on just a few blends. Next month, a few more. Taking note of what, how, when, and why what works does or doesn't. And if I keep at it monthly, it'll never quite leave the forefront of my mind. And a couple of those jars are coins and flakes who will sit there until April or May.

I went into this with kind of a halfway plan. I decided smoking a pipe was for me. So I started building up a variety of different tobaccos. The thought was between 25-35 different blends and samples. And I'm at about 31 right now. That's just about perfect. Now I'm starting into the GRUME phase. Rock what I have until it starts really running out. By then I should have a handle on what direction I'm heading. So I'll know a pound of this, pound of that, and maybe a couple to try.

I figure with the Bighams I'm about 4-6 pipes away from where I want to be. There's still a meerschaum, Zulu, Rhodesian or author, and Bing Crosby style billiard. Cobs don't count, but the Forever Stems do. And I'm not above passing on some to make room.

So yeah, the time has come to enjoy what I have. If I get anything else between now and March, it'll be that Carter Hall and Field and Stream in my cart with the pipes. The car tobaccos.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Oh. For me, rotations are just that, rotations. Clothes, fishing and camping gear, foods and beverages, one day soaps and aftershaves. I'm not fooled into thinking I don't have enough jeans because they're in storage in the summer. When space is limited, I have out what's appropriate for the circumstances.

Right now, I have enough variety to start spending a month on just a few blends. Next month, a few more. Taking note of what, how, when, and why what works does or doesn't. And if I keep at it monthly, it'll never quite leave the forefront of my mind. And a couple of those jars are coins and flakes who will sit there until April or May.

I went into this with kind of a halfway plan. I decided smoking a pipe was for me. So I started building up a variety of different tobaccos. The thought was between 25-35 different blends and samples. And I'm at about 31 right now. That's just about perfect. Now I'm starting into the GRUME phase. Rock what I have until it starts really running out. By then I should have a handle on what direction I'm heading. So I'll know a pound of this, pound of that, and maybe a couple to try.

I figure with the Bighams I'm about 4-6 pipes away from where I want to be. There's still a meerschaum, Zulu, Rhodesian or author, and Bing Crosby style billiard. Cobs don't count, but the Forever Stems do. And I'm not above passing on some to make room.

So yeah, the time has come to enjoy what I have. If I get anything else between now and March, it'll be that Carter Hall and Field and Stream in my cart with the pipes. The car tobaccos.

Awesome! Good to hear the plan is working for you :thumbsup:

I'm having to do a bit of a reset with the pipes, having made a couple of wrong turns (non-sitters and MM birch), but I think I'm getting back on track now. I haven't entirely decided what I'm doing with tobacco yet. I know a kilo is a sensible stock level for me, that is if I intend to continue ageing, but I don't know yet what that should consist of.

A mixture of individual tins, several of the same tins, or a few tins and the rest in bulk? Who knows? I've tried to be quite organised and thoughtful with the pipes, but I think I'll keep aimlessly wandering through tobacco. While there are some I do like enough to get more than 50g of, I'm not ready to stop drifting and sampling yet.

Maybe when I get through the first stock (five years), I'll have a clearer direction.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Well, somebody picked up 14 hours of overtime plus a couple bonuses this weekend. At time and a half, that's my new pipes! Payday is Thursday, order gets placed Friday.
Woot! Congratulations my friend, can't wait to see your new acquisitions!

This will be worth a 10 hour day Saturday and 7 hours on Sunday. Mandatory on call helps out in different ways. Not only did some people get hot water, sewer lines cleared, and some water damage avoided, I'm getting an extra 17 hours at time and a half! Everyone wins! Eventually. I'll be better once I'm rested up from this 12 day work week.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
This will be worth a 10 hour day Saturday and 7 hours on Sunday. Mandatory on call helps out in different ways. Not only did some people get hot water, sewer lines cleared, and some water damage avoided, I'm getting an extra 17 hours at time and a half! Everyone wins! Eventually. I'll be better once I'm rested up from this 12 day work week.
Glad you're at least rewarding yourself...you have something to get you through this busy time. Keep thinking about those glorious pipes and tobacco headed your way soon! Excited for you Rookie!

Actually, I put all the tobacco back, except those 5 pouches of Carter Hall. I have plenty enough right now that I felt good putting that close to pound back in the wishlist. CH for the car and a pouch for each pipe to build cake. I have enough everything else to last until well after Christmas.

I worked to hard over the weekend to blow this nice fat wad of cash on tobacco I don't need yet. My big order is coming, but not yet. In the meantime, keep feeding the piggy.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member

Dang time and a half at plumber rates?

Top Bottom