What's new

So you talked me into it

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Well, you just put the thumb screws on me.
I dreamed shrimp with OB tonight. Sharyn finished before I was halfway through. Baltimorons are shellfish machines. When we would eat crabs, I would have to count out mine before we started eating to make certain I got half!

Turkey soup sounds interesting. I'm going to have to look at that. Split pea soup and a good clam chowder are truly joys though! The kind that warms you up starting with your soul and going outward from there.

Helps to have a nice sized carcass to boil for stock.

So last night my neighbors gave me a present. They are moving, there's no reason to go into the story why, it's ugly and sad for everyone involved. But as they're cleaning the house out they came across something they thought I needed.

16002520280646059144573789024508.jpg

I know, the flash. But an unopened tin of Bold Kentucky found is way into my car for the ride home! A couple years old! I know I had my issues with Jackknife Plug, but I'm willing to try another version of Kentucky. On the ride home I'm going to try some in my MM Eaton. Which is good, this afternoon and even will be a good treat yourself time.

Boy, you light that up and you know you're smoking something! It rivals the strength of some unfiltered cigarettes!

I made it through about half the bowl. Honestly, today I was more the problem than anything. It was a very long, very rough day for me at work. When I left the car this morning, I was geared up to try a new tobacco. When I got back in the car, I was physically and mentally done. I had about half then dumped it out and packed half a bowl of CH. I'll try it another time when my head's in the game.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Boy, you light that up and you know you're smoking something! It rivals the strength of some unfiltered cigarettes!

I made it through about half the bowl. Honestly, today I was more the problem than anything. It was a very long, very rough day for me at work. When I left the car this morning, I was geared up to try a new tobacco. When I got back in the car, I was physically and mentally done. I had about half then dumped it out and packed half a bowl of CH. I'll try it another time when my head's in the game.
😂 That was my experience with SG 1792 when I used to inhale pipe tobacco. Kick in the *** isn’t it?

Not much new going on here lately. Between work and family life picking up, it's been a busy couple weeks. But I'm coming to cherish those 30-45 minutes in the evenings and nights to come out onto my porch and clear my head for a bit.

I'm starting to notice subtle little differences between my pipes. Specifically, between the bents and straights. Nothing firm or that I can even really describe. For example, I find it easier to hold a conversation with a straight pipe. Hold it down and kind of cupped in my hand. Bring it up to draw, just to keep it lit, much like people vape. But those bents are great for other things like reading or bringing the camera up (I'm a luddite with a big Pentax DSLR). Just thoughts that kept me out of college 😁.

The weather change has been nice. Autumn and Spring are my favorite times of year to hike. I'm happy to say that my hiking has improved since I've started bringing a pipe with me. First, it saves me from a pocket full of butts (even a cigarette butt is little, which I won't have in my parks). And much better is I'm going further and not getting winded. I'm not going as fast, but that's because of my knees. It really sucks when you get to that age where you can still do the (checks around for wives) stupid bone headed things you did in your 20s, it takes the better part of a week to recover.

I have to say, smoking a pipe is leading me to becoming a better person in general. I'm smoking less cigarettes without becoming a monster. I find myself needing less of my PTSD medication, the take as needed kind. Taking that one hour at the end of the day is really good for me. And it's freaking affordable! That I'm pretty sure is that time spent outside at night just relaxing. But if it weren't pipes, it'd probably be cigars. I've done both now and prefer pipes in most cases.

@AimlessWanderer, you do have a picture coming. Once the toddler goes to bed I'll bring everything out for a family portrait.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Not much new going on here lately. Between work and family life picking up, it's been a busy couple weeks. But I'm coming to cherish those 30-45 minutes in the evenings and nights to come out onto my porch and clear my head for a bit.

I'm starting to notice subtle little differences between my pipes. Specifically, between the bents and straights. Nothing firm or that I can even really describe. For example, I find it easier to hold a conversation with a straight pipe. Hold it down and kind of cupped in my hand. Bring it up to draw, just to keep it lit, much like people vape. But those bents are great for other things like reading or bringing the camera up (I'm a luddite with a big Pentax DSLR). Just thoughts that kept me out of college 😁.

The weather change has been nice. Autumn and Spring are my favorite times of year to hike. I'm happy to say that my hiking has improved since I've started bringing a pipe with me. First, it saves me from a pocket full of butts (even a cigarette butt is little, which I won't have in my parks). And much better is I'm going further and not getting winded. I'm not going as fast, but that's because of my knees. It really sucks when you get to that age where you can still do the (checks around for wives) stupid bone headed things you did in your 20s, it takes the better part of a week to recover.

I have to say, smoking a pipe is leading me to becoming a better person in general. I'm smoking less cigarettes without becoming a monster. I find myself needing less of my PTSD medication, the take as needed kind. Taking that one hour at the end of the day is really good for me. And it's freaking affordable! That I'm pretty sure is that time spent outside at night just relaxing. But if it weren't pipes, it'd probably be cigars. I've done both now and prefer pipes in most cases.

@AimlessWanderer, you do have a picture coming. Once the toddler goes to bed I'll bring everything out for a family portrait.

Great post!

I'm finding it therapeutic too. No PTSD here, but the shock of going from fully functional and earning, to rather broken and dysfunctional, and living on benefits, left me more than just physically damaged. Pipes do help me.

I totally agree on the affordability too. As I said in my "smoke journal", I've bought many new pipes this year, and set some tobacco aside to age for the next five years, and still spent less than I would have when I was a full time hand rolling smoker. Of course, I'm not smoking 40 bowls a day 🤣 and the vape and snuff is taking up the slack, but they're affordable too.

I really ought to try a little more walking myself, on the better health days.

Looking forward to the pic :thumbsup:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

There was a study back in the 60’s indicating that pipe smokers actually lived longer than those who didn’t. While it sounds counter intuitive on its face, it does make sense in that pipe smoking is a superb stress reliever and stress is a well known killer.

There's been a little bit of a tummy bug going around the house this past week. Combine that with seasonal allergies, it makes a rough time in the Rookie household. Which is too bad, really, because weather-wise it's been absolutely gorgeous outside.

Also means I haven't been smoking a whole lot since Monday. This afternoon was the first bowl I had all week. Edward G. Robinson in a cob from a tin that rolled under my seat. I find I miss my porch time. I'm really looking forward to tonight. Sitting on the porch reading, listening to music, just watching the world go by sure beats binge watching whatever tripe is on tv.

And I'm only about $100 away from my my cart order! The 2 pipes, a replacement pack of filters, a 5 pack of Carter Hall, and 4 oz each of a few others comes out to $320 and I'm at $230 right now. Almost there! I'm very curious to see how differently a $125 (averaged between the two) pipe smokes compared my $45 basket beauties or $17 golden oldies. To see if fit and finish makes that big a difference.

I've found I really like Carter Hall. I haven't had a bad codgeresque blend yet, but CH is what I find myself comparing them all to. Something vaguely familiar, almost deja vu feeling when smoking that. Something beyond its legendary smokability. Maybe Ready Rub (sitting patiently in my cart) will replace it, Steve. But I'm more inclined to believe they'll work in tandem.

I did have a few flakes from the Bold Kentucky. Kentucky still isn't my favorite class. Watered down with anything else burley based and the sum becomes greater than its parts, but in its own its just not for me. And I'm ok with that. Quite frankly I was waiting for something I didn't like. I feel more seasoned too now. Like I've sampled enough to start developing my tastes. That's enough of a boost to start trusting my instincts as I start to branch out and try to find my rhythm.

And that's the sort of thing I'll be thinking about as I take my quiet time this evening.🙂

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
There's been a little bit of a tummy bug going around the house this past week. Combine that with seasonal allergies, it makes a rough time in the Rookie household. Which is too bad, really, because weather-wise it's been absolutely gorgeous outside.

Also means I haven't been smoking a whole lot since Monday. This afternoon was the first bowl I had all week. Edward G. Robinson in a cob from a tin that rolled under my seat. I find I miss my porch time. I'm really looking forward to tonight. Sitting on the porch reading, listening to music, just watching the world go by sure beats binge watching whatever tripe is on tv.

And I'm only about $100 away from my my cart order! The 2 pipes, a replacement pack of filters, a 5 pack of Carter Hall, and 4 oz each of a few others comes out to $320 and I'm at $230 right now. Almost there! I'm very curious to see how differently a $125 (averaged between the two) pipe smokes compared my $45 basket beauties or $17 golden oldies. To see if fit and finish makes that big a difference.

I've found I really like Carter Hall. I haven't had a bad codgeresque blend yet, but CH is what I find myself comparing them all to. Something vaguely familiar, almost deja vu feeling when smoking that. Something beyond its legendary smokability. Maybe Ready Rub (sitting patiently in my cart) will replace it, Steve. But I'm more inclined to believe they'll work in tandem.

I did have a few flakes from the Bold Kentucky. Kentucky still isn't my favorite class. Watered down with anything else burley based and the sum becomes greater than its parts, but in its own its just not for me. And I'm ok with that. Quite frankly I was waiting for something I didn't like. I feel more seasoned too now. Like I've sampled enough to start developing my tastes. That's enough of a boost to start trusting my instincts as I start to branch out and try to find my rhythm.

And that's the sort of thing I'll be thinking about as I take my quiet time this evening.🙂
Those old codger blends are really good. A taste of the Golden Age of pipe smoking. Oddly, I didn’t smoke them back when there were so many. I smoked Edgeworth some but my tastes weren’t developed enough to appreciate it. CH is a good one and Ready Rubbed is my very favorite tobacco. I just ordered two pounds. I’ll have to sneak that order into the house. I believe you will enjoy it. It is topped with a bit of cocoa to enhance the natural quality of the burley and a bit of molasses to add some sweetness without the use of Virginia so there is absolutely no bite. Also, I have a H. I. S. pipe and it is the best basket pipe I’ve ever had and I’ve had a bunch over the years. If you want some good pipes at a reasonable price check out “Pipe Club” on eBay. James is a really good guy and an excellent restorer and just picked up an estate lot of 300 pipes. He sells as “Buy it Now” so there is no bidding involved. The Artful Codger on YouTube praised him, I checked it out and the rest is history. Check out the Artful Codger by the way. He’s right up your alley. How is the Edward G Robinson blend?

Also, Field and Stream Match is worth an ounce or two to try. It's seriously in contention to kick Carter Hall out of the comfy well worn overstuffed Codger easy chair throne.

I ran out of codger blends late last week, or so I thought. So I grabbed a pouch of Amphora Original to plug that hole. Not quite a gotta have it, but not a bad blend at all. Not the world's biggest fan of broken flake cut, but for that it's not too bad at all. And it's available almost everywhere that sells anything to do with pipe tobacco, which is a huge plus. First, I like B&M shopping. And second, I some have to worry so much now about running out of my favorites.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Sutliff Ready Rubbed Match and Lane Ready Rubbed are both Edgeworth. I prefer the Sutliff as there is a touch more cocoa in it and it is a bit sweeter and more interesting. Both are cube cut but the Sutliff has larger cubes and is chunkier. I guess like a crumble. Also Sutliff is available in bulk. Smokingpipes just restocked Sutliff and I ordered two pounds yesterday as it is 90% of what I smoke (being a genuine codger myself). I do recommend the Sutliff over the Lane though. I smoked the original back in the late 60’s but really can’t remember it exactly but I expect it is much the same. It was only available in slices then as far as I recall.

We'll get there one day, Steve! 😆 Although the codger things and activities are great. The "American burley blends" are great for so many reasons. Fly fishing is the second best nerve wrackingly fun I've ever had. I'd say baseball, but my beloved Orioles constantly finish bad enough that we're in the hole 3 games at the start of the next season. And so on.

This next Smoking Pipes order will have old favorites in it. That's another one of my mental milestones. I know my tastes well enough to say I'd rather have this than try something new. Specifically Field and Stream, Carter Hall, and Stokkebye Cube Cut. Steveclarkus finally got the best of me. I have a for one sample of Ready Rub, which I plan on reviewing here. In that spirit, I'd like to recommend tossing a sample of Field and Stream of you haven't tried it.

I've also tossed in 4 ounces of Sutliff Virginia Slices with 2 ounces for 18 months from now, and 2 for 20. Is that the tobacco for this, in your opinion? Or is there a better aging Virginia? I went with them because they're a known quantity of quality. But if there's something I might want to swap it out for, I'm very open to suggestions.

List is growing.
It certainly is. With the Amphora, I never realized how hard it is to find a codger blend in the wild, except Captain Black. So I'm looking at it much like DE blades. I'm still ordering sample packs with as much variety as I can until I figure out I like my GSB and Sharks. Until then, I'm getting as many tucks as I can. It's not any AD, it's research! (How does that sound? You know, in case I need to try it on Mrs. Rookie.)

But I've about zeroed in on my American burleys*. This will be the last time I ever run out of CH or F&S. I think Revelation Match is a buy a pound in the Spring and not again until next big Spring order (to start). RR may end up on that spot. And Edward G. Robinson gets compliments from Mrs. Rookie, so that's one I'll replace at my convenience. Never too long without, but not worried about running out.

And I've already ruled out Kentucky except sometimes as a condiment. So there's two classes down!

*As always, tobaccos spotted in the wild are like cobs, cleaners, and filters. They don't count.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
We'll get there one day, Steve! 😆 Although the codger things and activities are great. The "American burley blends" are great for so many reasons. Fly fishing is the second best nerve wrackingly fun I've ever had. I'd say baseball, but my beloved Orioles constantly finish bad enough that we're in the hole 3 games at the start of the next season. And so on.

This next Smoking Pipes order will have old favorites in it. That's another one of my mental milestones. I know my tastes well enough to say I'd rather have this than try something new. Specifically Field and Stream, Carter Hall, and Stokkebye Cube Cut. Steveclarkus finally got the best of me. I have a for one sample of Ready Rub, which I plan on reviewing here. In that spirit, I'd like to recommend tossing a sample of Field and Stream of you haven't tried it.

I've also tossed in 4 ounces of Sutliff Virginia Slices with 2 ounces for 18 months from now, and 2 for 20. Is that the tobacco for this, in your opinion? Or is there a better aging Virginia? I went with them because they're a known quantity of quality. But if there's something I might want to swap it out for, I'm very open to suggestions.

It certainly is. With the Amphora, I never realized how hard it is to find a codger blend in the wild, except Captain Black. So I'm looking at it much like DE blades. I'm still ordering sample packs with as much variety as I can until I figure out I like my GSB and Sharks. Until then, I'm getting as many tucks as I can. It's not any AD, it's research! (How does that sound? You know, in case I need to try it on Mrs. Rookie.)

But I've about zeroed in on my American burleys*. This will be the last time I ever run out of CH or F&S. I think Revelation Match is a buy a pound in the Spring and not again until next big Spring order (to start). RR may end up on that spot. And Edward G. Robinson gets compliments from Mrs. Rookie, so that's one I'll replace at my convenience. Never too long without, but not worried about running out.

And I've already ruled out Kentucky except sometimes as a condiment. So there's two classes down!

*As always, tobaccos spotted in the wild are like cobs, cleaners, and filters. They don't count.
I wouldn't totally rule out Kentucky, give it time.

As for a Virginia for aging I'd recommend Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake so long as you like Perique as well. It's really good 👍

Top Bottom