What's new

So you talked me into it

As the title says, you've talked me into a pipe. A couple counties over opened up for retail, so I'm going to pay my (their) local tobacconist a visit. With a stop at Rite Aid along the way for a cob.

Probably Monday I'll head out to do this. My plan is to learn on a Missouri Meerschaum. Once I kinda sorta know what I'm doing and what I like, another cob and I'm leaning towards a Brigham Canadian. Something about that style really speaks to me. And I heard they don't suck.

For my tobacco purchase, right now I'm leaning towards Peter Stokkebye if they have it. Once upon a time I rolled my own cigarettes and really liked their line of baccy. I'm hoping to find an ounce or two of each family. A Virginia, burly, English, and aromatic. Honestly, I'm not expecting to like aros. Not a fan of sweet. But I feel I owe it to myself to try one.

Um, oh yeah. Bio! I'm a pretty heavy cigarette smoker, close to 2 packs a day. I enjoy a good cigar*. On that note, I've lived to be an age where I recognize it's cheaper to but quality once than junk twice then quality. So that's my budget**.

I'm hoping to use this thread to sort of chronicle my foray into tobacco as God intended, not wrapped in paper with a filter. Also to ask and answer any questions a newb might have, or need to be asked. And I do so love advice and opinions. Even more when people expand on said advice and opinions.***

*I used to enjoy them more often when I had more disposable income.
**In US dollars, a $200 pipe had better impress the [bad word] out of me. But if it does...
***Looking at that, it could easily be read as sarcasm. It's not. I love it when people talk about what they're passionate about. A lot of that translates into text as well.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
We are getting a pretty good deal on this year’s limited edition pipe. If you want a nice pipe, but want more experience under your belt before smoking it, just set it aside. An Askwith Morta at $200 is pretty good.

It's also Morta. Hard to char and won't ghost.

But there are plenty of people who only smoke cobs. They own hundreds ,😂

Your tobacco selections will be great. Try them all. Don't get discouraged with relights or anything anything else. There is a learning curve and not like smoking a cigar where you can just light and puff.

Enjoy it all. And keep popping up with questions.

Warning! Warning! Warning!
These guys are trying to suck you into the rabbit hole. I know because the same thing happened to me, two years ago with the 2018 Larrysson LE pipe. "It is a good deal" they said. "You won't be sorry" they said. "You'll love it" they said.
They were right, on all counts. I did buy the 2018 Larrysson LE, my first really great pipe. I also bought the 2019 DR Franc LE pipe. And, of course, I'm buying the 2020 Askwith LE as well.
Now, I've my fair share of other pipes, including a few MM cobs, and they all smoke quite well, or I wouldn't keep them, but these LE pipes are really something special. Great smoking pipes from artisan carvers who know what they're doing, at a more than reasonable price. Even if you don't smoke it for some time, while you hone your skills on a cob, this is a pipe to not miss out on.
And besides, this is a crazy bunch to hang out with while we discuss how smart we all are to have purchased this great pipe!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Warning! Warning! Warning!
These guys are trying to suck you into the rabbit hole. I know because the same thing happened to me, two years ago with the 2018 Larrysson LE pipe. "It is a good deal" they said. "You won't be sorry" they said. "You'll love it" they said.
They were right, on all counts. I did buy the 2018 Larrysson LE, my first really great pipe. I also bought the 2019 DR Franc LE pipe. And, of course, I'm buying the 2020 Askwith LE as well.
Now, I've my fair share of other pipes, including a few MM cobs, and they all smoke quite well, or I wouldn't keep them, but these LE pipes are really something special. Great smoking pipes from artisan carvers who know what they're doing, at a more than reasonable price. Even if you don't smoke it for some time, while you hone your skills on a cob, this is a pipe to not miss out on.
And besides, this is a crazy bunch to hang out with while we discuss how smart we all are to have purchased this great pipe!
Well, think of it this way- at this price, it is less than $20 a month every year for our LEs (which we always get good deals on). Pretty cheap, huh? :)

431CC56A-4066-422D-BD58-5BF314A75FD1.gif

I've read the stickies. All of them multiple times. I've gone back through 10 pages of threads here gleaning what I can. That's how you talked me into it!

The LE is beautiful, no doubt. And I believe it's a bargain for the price. But right now, I'm going to have to pass. I'm not there yet. As in I'm not ready right now to comfortably drop that much. Not to mention trying to justify that to Mrs. Rookie.

I would like to point out though that each and every thread, going back 10 pages anyways, everyone was shouting from the rooftops what amazing beginner pipes the humble cob makes. No point, just funny to me.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I've read the stickies. All of them multiple times. I've gone back through 10 pages of threads here gleaning what I can. That's how you talked me into it!

The LE is beautiful, no doubt. And I believe it's a bargain for the price. But right now, I'm going to have to pass. I'm not there yet. As in I'm not ready right now to comfortably drop that much. Not to mention trying to justify that to Mrs. Rookie.

I would like to point out though that each and every thread, going back 10 pages anyways, everyone was shouting from the rooftops what amazing beginner pipes the humble cob makes. No point, just funny to me.

Morgan Bones Pipes are a good alternative as well. 35.00 plus shipping will get you a Briar pipe that will smoke well, backed by Morgan’s great customer service.

There will be other B&B LE’s to buy so no FOMO.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
If you liked Peter Stokkebye cigarette/roll your own tobacco, there are pipe equivalents, basically the same blend in a thicker ribbon cut for pipe smoking: Amsterdam is #83, Turkish is #84, Norwegian is #80.

Thanks, Hirsute. I remember liking the Turkish. It was spicy? Peppery? Had a flavor that danced on the tongue instead of the bland flavorless nicotine delivery vehicle I had grown accustomed to. I remember English blend tasting how a leather chair smells. Or rather, the two senses invoked the same feeling.

Anyways, Stokkebye was my plan. But are there better examples of basic types of tobacco? Would I be better served with another brand? Or certain blends (for Virginia, get A over B)? I learned from DE blades about my varying mileage, but, well, I'd much rather your advice than tobacco site reviews. Thanks everyone!

ETA: One other quick question. About shape, I'm a hold in the hand more than a clenched in the teeth guy. It makes sense by looking at shapes that bends are better for clenching and straights are better for holding. Is that the case, or does it matter? Or is that more variable mileage? Thanks again!

Last edited:
Thanks, Hirsute. I remember liking the Turkish. It was spicy? Peppery? Had a flavor that danced on the tongue instead of the bland flavorless nicotine delivery vehicle I had grown accustomed to. I remember English blend tasting how a leather chair smells. Or rather, the two senses invoked the same feeling.

Anyways, Stokkebye was my plan. But are there better examples of basic types of tobacco? Would I be better served with another brand? Or certain blends (for Virginia, get A over B)? I learned from DE blades about my varying mileage, but, well, I'd much rather your advice than tobacco site reviews. Thanks everyone!

ETA: One other quick question. About shape, I'm a hold in the hand more than a clenched in the teeth guy. It makes sense by looking at shapes that bends are better for clenching and straights are better for holding. Is that the case, or does it matter? Or is that more variable mileage? Thanks again!
Weight and balance of the pipe plays more into clenching than shape does.

As to one VA or English being better than another that is in the mouth of the smoker. Some like Latakia without much Oriental, others like a more Oriental blend balanced with Latakia. Most VAs have subtle nuances people like. MacBaren and Cornell and Diehl and sutliff all make popular VAs.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
One other quick question. About shape, I'm a hold in the hand more than a clenched in the teeth guy. It makes sense by looking at shapes that bends are better for clenching and straights are better for holding. Is that the case, or does it matter? Or is that more variable mileage? Thanks again!

I'm not really a clencher, other than for a few seconds. If I need both hands, I prefer to put the pipe down. Therefore all (bar one) of mine are sitters, and will stay upright on their own without having to mess around with stands, though some (particularly my cobs) need me to rest the stem on my matches/lighter. Just another consideration for you.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification

I've recommended the Amphora sampler before and I stand by it is a decent sampler of tobacco varietals. The pack is $30...I know @radrick96 bought one when he started. He may have feedback that would interest you.

The amphora sampler is the best way to go. It will start you down the rabbit hole on the right path on trying blends. I love how it’s like broken flake and i needed to dry it a little. Everybody compares the amphora blends to MacBaren. MacBaren owns amphora which is why. So buy this and then if you like one, go buy some MacBaren HH blends!
Advice, the pouches should be jarred.
I’m still finishing my sampler.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Stokkebye is great stuff. Definitely a good place to start and they have every style imaginable.

Regarding straight or bent, since you’re not going to clench much, go with whatever’s looks good. Keep the chamber moderately sized thought: .75-.80 inches across and less than 2 inches deep (preferably closer to 1.5 or so). A moderately sized bowl will help you learn how to pack and tamp and you won’t have the issues keeping the bowl lit that you might in a broad hug bowl.

Also, Brighams are good pipes.and I’ve heard good things about the maple filters in some of them. If you like them and the price works for you, it would be hard to go wrong with a Brigham.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just found out that there's a B&M store where I'm going Saturday that stocks pipe tobacco! This seems like a good opportunity to pick up some tobacco paying with cash that won't count against me! Plus I can at least price shop estate pipes. I guess tomorrow on the way home from work I'm swinging by Rite Aid for a Legend.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
As the title says, you've talked me into a pipe. A couple counties over opened up for retail, so I'm going to pay my (their) local tobacconist a visit. With a stop at Rite Aid along the way for a cob.

Probably Monday I'll head out to do this. My plan is to learn on a Missouri Meerschaum. Once I kinda sorta know what I'm doing and what I like, another cob and I'm leaning towards a Brigham Canadian. Something about that style really speaks to me. And I heard they don't suck.

For my tobacco purchase, right now I'm leaning towards Peter Stokkebye if they have it. Once upon a time I rolled my own cigarettes and really liked their line of baccy. I'm hoping to find an ounce or two of each family. A Virginia, burly, English, and aromatic. Honestly, I'm not expecting to like aros. Not a fan of sweet. But I feel I owe it to myself to try one.

Um, oh yeah. Bio! I'm a pretty heavy cigarette smoker, close to 2 packs a day. I enjoy a good cigar*. On that note, I've lived to be an age where I recognize it's cheaper to but quality once than junk twice then quality. So that's my budget**.

I'm hoping to use this thread to sort of chronicle my foray into tobacco as God intended, not wrapped in paper with a filter. Also to ask and answer any questions a newb might have, or need to be asked. And I do so love advice and opinions. Even more when people expand on said advice and opinions.***

*I used to enjoy them more often when I had more disposable income.
**In US dollars, a $200 pipe had better impress the [bad word] out of me. But if it does...
***Looking at that, it could easily be read as sarcasm. It's not. I love it when people talk about what they're passionate about. A lot of that translates into text as well.
My suggestion would to go on eBay and buy quality used pipes and just polish them up. I’ve bought many that way. The nicest upside is that they are already broken in. Regarding the cob pipe, absolutely. Cobs are quite good I love a good cob. There are sellers on the Internet with great choices.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are sellers with great selection of cobs, as well as anything else you could want. And, if I know me, soon enough I'll be impatiently watching for the mailman to bring me a new (to me) pipe, tobacco, etc. But for my first purchases I'd prefer face to face B&M stores.

Anyways, that impatience mentioned above is starting to rear its ugly head. I'm ready now, dammit! Well, not at 6:30 sitting in the parking lot of work. But it'd be nice to have the pipe and pouch ready for me in 9 hours! But I just have to be patient until tomorrow afternoon.

The good news is I have a beautiful covered front porch, complete with porch swing. Tomorrow evening I plan on parking my keister on that swing and, well, screwing it all up. Hitting the pipe too hard, over packing the bowl, accidentally inhaling then seeing which lung gets coughed up. And hopefully a new way that causes you guys to say what did you do and why did you do it?!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I just found out that there's a B&M store where I'm going Saturday that stocks pipe tobacco! This seems like a good opportunity to pick up some tobacco paying with cash that won't count against me! Plus I can at least price shop estate pipes. I guess tomorrow on the way home from work I'm swinging by Rite Aid for a Legend.
Check out their basket pipes, too. You can sometimes find a pipe that will be a great smoker, but may have a cosmetic blemish.

Top Bottom