What's new

So you talked me into it

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Well done. It gets much better. This hobby isn't as intuitive as others might be but the rewards are great! Just take your time and don't try to hard. I found that my biggest milestones during my pipe smoking journey occurred when my mind wandered and I wasn't really paying attention to the pipe at all. Enjoy!

For getting a coin lit, look for some small pieces in the bottom of the tin or coin or break a couple of off the coin to use as "tinder." Stuff the flake or coin. put the loose stuff on top and tamp light on coins/flake. They expand greatly once going.

Yeah, it went about as well as I could hope for last night. I smoked the whole bowl. I burnt my tongue. My stomach got flippy. But I did it! And now I have something to get better from! I'm off to the woods today. I'll be trying it again there. And I know what to start adjusting. For starters, English Luxe! Brandaves, I hope to be there soon, letting my mind wander. But I have the feeling that's a learned skill which I haven't developed yet. But like the old joke says, how do you get to Carnegie Hall?

That's a good tip for the coins. If I don't have anything loose in the bottom of the bag, should I use something else ribbon cut? Yeah, stupid rookie questions, but we all learned at some point, right?

Thanks again everyone!

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
Omg! I found the hollow dowel they used. Nothing like charred wood to let you know you're done with that bowl. I wasn't prepared for that.

And that charred wood taste tells me I'm done for the night. I got about 45 minutes in. Some very nice flavors I could pick out. A very relaxing way to spend an hour. Thank you all for hanging out with me the first time I tried this!

Charing the dowel insert in a cob is kinda the way to “break in” a cob. Once there’s a decent char on the wood you shouldn’t experience that unpleasant sensation again.

Yeah, it went about as well as I could hope for last night. I smoked the whole bowl. I burnt my tongue. My stomach got flippy. But I did it! And now I have something to get better from! I'm off to the woods today. I'll be trying it again there. And I know what to start adjusting. For starters, English Luxe! Brandaves, I hope to be there soon, letting my mind wander. But I have the feeling that's a learned skill which I haven't developed yet. But like the old joke says, how do you get to Carnegie Hall?

That's a good tip for the coins. If I don't have anything loose in the bottom of the bag, should I use something else ribbon cut? Yeah, stupid rookie questions, but we all learned at some point, right?

Thanks again everyone!
You can break a few pieces off the edge of the coin for the tinder if there isn't scrap at the bottom.

And if your tongue is burnt you may want to wait a day. It'll get used to it the more you smoke but smoking cooler helps the most and that takes some getting used to with the cadense of puffs.

20200524_122435.jpg20200524_122449.jpg
My second pipe full of tobacco. The Stokkebye English Luxury blend. It packed much easier than the coin. Stayed lit much easier. Only thing was it was very a heavy smoke for the middle of the day on an empty stomach. Otherwise, not too shabby!

I learned that tobacco tastes better out in the woods. Watching the swallows chasing bugs, fish in the water, listening to the river. Feeling the sun on my face.

View attachment 1104403View attachment 1104404
My second pipe full of tobacco. The Stokkebye English Luxury blend. It packed much easier than the coin. Stayed lit much easier. Only thing was it was very a heavy smoke for the middle of the day on an empty stomach. Otherwise, not too shabby!

I learned that tobacco tastes better out in the woods. Watching the swallows chasing bugs, fish in the water, listening to the river. Feeling the sun on my face.
Nice! Looks like you’re off to a good start then. Nice smoking spot btw!

Thanks! It started off a nice smoking spot. Then it started getting crowded. And then the little kids started showing up. But I got most of the bowl smoked. Juuust barely felt the charring dowel before calling it. I really wish I had brought a lighter tobacco blend. Wait, no. Next time I bring a lighter tobacco blend!

Ok, so yeah. Yesterday I took out my smaller cob to a fishing spot and packed up the Escudo. It wasn't bad. A very very mild flavor. Just hints of grass/hay, a little sweet (possibly from a new cob?), and just a bare trace of rum. I must pack a few more bowls to figure this out. I did like how it stayed lit for the most part. Except for times where I had to deal with the kids, I just let it go out.

So by my third bowl yesterday I figured out that I tend to enjoy it more when I'm enjoying something else. Be it a fishing rod in hand, out by a quiet stretch of river. It was a moment enhancement. Just sitting on my porch smoking a pipe thinking about smoking a pipe, that was ok. But nothing like having my mind elsewhere. I hear that smoking a pipe is all about relaxation. I think that's what I'm finding.

I also love how the English tastes different than the Navy than the LBC. With cigarettes, it's just different color packs (apples to apples, not getting into lights or menthol). I found with cigars, it's strength and robustness. Pipe tobacco brings real live honest to god differences! I know you all are chuckling good naturedly at this revelation of mine. And that's fine, I'm doing this for me.

So anyways, as I smoke more (which is a nice euphemism for "as I wait for payday"), I'm going to eventually want a burly blend and an aromatic. Would I be well served with a drugstore can of Prince Albert or Carter Hall, or should I look beyond the counter?

This question is harder. So I feel I owe it to myself to try an aro. However, I'm not really a fan of sweet. Chemically sweet. Cough syrup cherry type flavors. Where would I look for that? I read the descriptions, but I don't know enough yet to know that, say, a "cozy" house really means "bedrooms the size of closets".

You know, as I was first looking at this, I thought yeah. I could pack up a pipe in the evening on my porch swing. Have a nice relaxing hour or so after the kids go to bed. Nice and simple. Old school simple relaxing. Lol! Wet shaving all over again!

brandaves

Ok, so yeah. Yesterday I took out my smaller cob to a fishing spot and packed up the Escudo. It wasn't bad. A very very mild flavor. Just hints of grass/hay, a little sweet (possibly from a new cob?), and just a bare trace of rum. I must pack a few more bowls to figure this out. I did like how it stayed lit for the most part. Except for times where I had to deal with the kids, I just let it go out.

So by my third bowl yesterday I figured out that I tend to enjoy it more when I'm enjoying something else. Be it a fishing rod in hand, out by a quiet stretch of river. It was a moment enhancement. Just sitting on my porch smoking a pipe thinking about smoking a pipe, that was ok. But nothing like having my mind elsewhere. I hear that smoking a pipe is all about relaxation. I think that's what I'm finding.

I also love how the English tastes different than the Navy than the LBC. With cigarettes, it's just different color packs (apples to apples, not getting into lights or menthol). I found with cigars, it's strength and robustness. Pipe tobacco brings real live honest to god differences! I know you all are chuckling good naturedly at this revelation of mine. And that's fine, I'm doing this for me.

So anyways, as I smoke more (which is a nice euphemism for "as I wait for payday"), I'm going to eventually want a burly blend and an aromatic. Would I be well served with a drugstore can of Prince Albert or Carter Hall, or should I look beyond the counter?

This question is harder. So I feel I owe it to myself to try an aro. However, I'm not really a fan of sweet. Chemically sweet. Cough syrup cherry type flavors. Where would I look for that? I read the descriptions, but I don't know enough yet to know that, say, a "cozy" house really means "bedrooms the size of closets".

You know, as I was first looking at this, I thought yeah. I could pack up a pipe in the evening on my porch swing. Have a nice relaxing hour or so after the kids go to bed. Nice and simple. Old school simple relaxing. Lol! Wet shaving all over again!
I would recommend just a pouch of Carter Hall and one of Prince Albert. A can is overkill at this stage.

As far as an aro, I'd suggest getting a pouch of Captain Black. The Royal and the Gold are both decent aromatics to try...but aromatic blends are few and far between for me. Personal preference is what it is...but your well served by giving them a shot.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose

There’s nothing wrong w Carter Hall it Prince Albert for a burley, so go ahead and try those. They’re what we’d consider a drug-store burley. If you want to try another burley, try to find Solani Aged Burley Flake or Peter Stokkebye Cube cut burley.

For aromatics, that’s harder as there are many out there which disappoint. I can give you a long list of the ones I think are ok, but to keep it simple for now, I think Captain Black white is a fine aromatic, and it’s what I started off smoking. A couple of others I’d recommend that taste good but don’t bite are Scotty’s butternut burley and Lane 1Q. In general I’d say flavors that come through best are vanilla, caramel, maple, and nut flavors. Fruit flavors are generally hit or miss and usually miss. If you can smell or look at the bulk aromatics, try to pick one that’s in the flavor categories I mentioned, that doesn’t smell too sweet or chemically, and that doesn’t leave a ton of residue all over the inside of the jar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks

Back when I was much younger, I remember folks around me smoking pipes and the room notes of the smoke tended to be extremely pleasant and memorable. So for me, those scents were of vanilla and sugar cookie. To me, this is the smell I associate with pipe smoking. With this in mind, when I began to smoke a pipe, I naturally gravitated to aromatic blends. My go to aromatic is Lane 1-Q. Of the some 25+ aromatic blends I have jarred up currently, the 1-Q is in the largest container. However, it isn’t necessarily my favorite. Boswell’s Best is my favorite blend and I hope to get some more here really soon.

There are others that I like as well. Lane RLP-6, MacBaren 7 Seas Regular, Captain Black Royal, Sutliff No. 150 Mark Twain and 4th Generation 1957 all come to my mind as regulars in my smoking rotation. I don’t like cherry aromatics. It has that “chemical” taste that I find unappealing as well. With that said, Missouri Meerschaum’s Great Dane blend has a very faint but tasty cherry flavor that I can tolerate.

Like Hirsute mentioned above, vanilla, maple, and caramel flavor/scented aromatics tend to do better than the fruit ones. But this is just opinion and personal taste.

On a side note, there are a few aromatics that I recently purchased that I am liking but they are a little wet and goopy and would need some time to air out a little before packing and smoking. Drexel II, Sutliff Creme Brûlée, and Sutliff Vanilla Custard each have a scent and flavor of a sugar cookie fresh from the oven. My wife likes them a lot. If she likes the scent then I know I’m on the right track.

brandaves

Sutliff Molto Dolce is another excellent aro but quite goopy and requires some drying time prior to smoking.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Back when I was much younger, I remember folks around me smoking pipes and the room notes of the smoke tended to be extremely pleasant and memorable. So for me, those scents were of vanilla and sugar cookie. To me, this is the smell I associate with pipe smoking. With this in mind, when I began to smoke a pipe, I naturally gravitated to aromatic blends. My go to aromatic is Lane 1-Q. Of the some 25+ aromatic blends I have jarred up currently, the 1-Q is in the largest container. However, it isn’t necessarily my favorite. Boswell’s Best is my favorite blend and I hope to get some more here really soon.

There are others that I like as well. Lane RLP-6, MacBaren 7 Seas Regular, Captain Black Royal, Sutliff No. 150 Mark Twain and 4th Generation 1957 all come to my mind as regulars in my smoking rotation. I don’t like cherry aromatics. It has that “chemical” taste that I find unappealing as well. With that said, Missouri Meerschaum’s Great Dane blend has a very faint but tasty cherry flavor that I can tolerate.

Like Hirsute mentioned above, vanilla, maple, and caramel flavor/scented aromatics tend to do better than the fruit ones. But this is just opinion and personal taste.

On a side note, there are a few aromatics that I recently purchased that I am liking but they are a little wet and goopy and would need some time to air out a little before packing and smoking. Drexel II, Sutliff Creme Brûlée, and Sutliff Vanilla Custard each have a scent and flavor of a sugar cookie fresh from the oven. My wife likes them a lot. If she likes the scent then I know I’m on the right track.
I just ordered 1 oz samples of recreations of old Drug store brands - Revelation, Walnut & Holiday. I have Prince Albert, Carter Hall and Cherry Blend. Got some tins of Escudo, Plumcake, Orik & Erinmore while I was at it. I was off the pipe for a few years and have to rebuild an inventory. Found a couple of jars of FVF I stashed in 2013 and forgot about.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Old world aromatics were more Lakeland-like, which I enjoy once in a while. There are also liquorice/clove aromatics which are nice too.

That vanilla maple sounds intriguing. That might be worth looking for. But honestly, a lot of the descriptions you all are giving sounds like I should learn to smoke a little better first before trying them.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
That vanilla maple sounds intriguing. That might be worth looking for. But honestly, a lot of the descriptions you all are giving sounds like I should learn to smoke a little better first before trying them.
You can go to this site and get 1 oz samples of lots of tobacco samples for about $3 each.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
You can go to this site and get 1 oz samples of lots of tobacco samples for about $3 each.

That works out about the same price each for those ~28g samples, as the 5g samples I just received today. £16.95 for 8. UK tobacco prices hurt. Not as much as Canadian and Australian tobacco prices though, I think those guys have it even worse :sad:

Top Bottom