What's new

So you talked me into it

That I will do! Basket pipe equals $5 movie bin at Walmart? Quite a few dogs, mostly good enough to decent, with an occasional gem?

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
That I will do! Basket pipe equals $5 movie bin at Walmart? Quite a few dogs, mostly good enough to decent, with an occasional gem?
Most pips shops have baskets of inexpensive briar pipes. They usually are not branded or obscure brands you've never heard of, and are marked "Made in Italy" or "Algerian Briar" or "Imported" or something like that usually. They typically range $15-$40, and many shops have a few different baskets with different price points.

My tip for basket pipes is not to worry about what the outside looks like too much, but to find a pipe that you like the shape and size of, consider how close the bowl will be to your face and whether it'll hang down or straight out, and think about how that will be, and stay away from metal connectors between the stem and the bowl (these are called stingers; some are removable, some aren't, but generally just stay away from them). Also, pay attention to the drilling. Should be more or less right at the bottom back of the bowl and in the center, left to right, of the bowl? Also, see if you can effortlessly pass a pipe cleaner down the pipe stem and have it poke into the bottom of the bowl. If the drilling is more or less center and you can easily pass a pipe cleaner, there's a good chance the pipe will smoke well.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Most pips shops have baskets of inexpensive briar pipes. They usually are not branded or obscure brands you've never heard of, and are marked "Made in Italy" or "Algerian Briar" or "Imported" or something like that usually. They typically range $15-$40, and many shops have a few different baskets with different price points.

My tip for basket pipes is not to worry about what the outside looks like too much, but to find a pipe that you like the shape and size of, consider how close the bowl will be to your face and whether it'll hang down or straight out, and think about how that will be, and stay away from metal connectors between the stem and the bowl (these are called stingers; some are removable, some aren't, but generally just stay away from them). Also, pay attention to the drilling. Should be more or less right at the bottom back of the bowl and in the center, left to right, of the bowl? Also, see if you can effortlessly pass a pipe cleaner down the pipe stem and have it poke into the bottom of the bowl. If the drilling is more or less center and you can easily pass a pipe cleaner, there's a good chance the pipe will smoke well.
Thanks for elaborating.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Maybe the Bullseye? It might be a bit moist depending on how it was stored so some dry time might be needed. The English should be good to go out the bag.

The LBF is always a good choice, but you have no bad choices in your selection. If you go with the LBF coins, how do you plan to prepare the coin for smoking?

FWIW: I've 'folded and stuffed', 'folded and wadded-up' and stuffed, rubbed out roughly and rubbed out completely. All seem to work well for me. I prefer the 'folded & stuffed' method because the Cavendish core shows up at a particular point in the smoke and is a nice sweet surprise.

And, how many? If your cobs are the smaller bowl, in the .625" range, you may be better off with one coin. I typically smoke two coins in most of my pipes, they have .75 +" inner bowl diameters. With the coins, unless you rub them out completely, you don't want to pack your bowl too tightly; lighter than you would think, because the pressed tobacco expands when it heats up.

Whatever you choose, enjoy!

I'm sure the cobs are the medium size. What I'm pretty sure is a Legend, and something with a long shank. Struck me as MM's interpretation of a Canadian. I just really like that shape.

I've figured out I want to save the Navy flake for a little while. Until I've successfully smoked a few bowls. I want to like that, so I don't want it to put a bad taste in my mouth.

Right now I'm leaning towards the English. Ribbon cut, no worrying about flakes crumbling. Just practice packing and smoking. But I'll give both Stokkebye bags a smell first.

Pics to follow tonight. But I did it! I'm the proud owner of 2 MM corn cob pipes, 2 oz PS Luxury Bullseye coins, 2 oz PS English Luxury, and (because everyone says how awesome it is) a tin of Escudo Luxury Navy flake. Tonight I try one out. But which one?
Pics and details!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I've figured out I want to save the Navy flake for a little while. Until I've successfully smoked a few bowls. I want to like that, so I don't want it to put a bad taste in my mouth.

Right now I'm leaning towards the English. Ribbon cut, no worrying about flakes crumbling. Just practice packing and smoking. But I'll give both Stokkebye bags a smell first.

If one of us hasn't already mentioned it, keep in mind that what you like today might not be what you like tomorrow and vise versa. If something puts a bad taste in your mouth, jar it up and set it aside for a few months. Smoking a blend too hot or too wet/dry might also be a culprit if a blend just doesn't taste good. That being said, there will certainly be some blends that just aren't good, or you just don't like. Once you get your technique down, that will help to eliminate the user error factor.

159028507431654798230384470735.jpg15902851450504517882464473916546.jpg15902852070453320564168317602506.jpg15902852682352747780107332537287.jpg

So I'm packing up the bigger one with LBC. You guys recommended it, so that's good enough for me. And the English seemed/felt much heavier. Perhaps tomorrow.

As far as packing it, I folded it up into fourths and just kinda stuffed it in. Tamped it down with a nail because I forgot a tool. Well, time to see if I did this right!

ETA; As soon as I got it going, I learned an important lesson. It ain't a cig. And my lungs and stomach don't care if the inhale was accidental or not. Took a sip of water, set down a second.

I had a hard time getting it lit, getting it going. Is that tamping?

Last edited:
View attachment 1104082View attachment 1104083View attachment 1104084View attachment 1104085

So I'm packing up the bigger one with LBC. You guys recommended it, so that's good enough for me. And the English seemed/felt much heavier. Perhaps tomorrow.

As far as packing it, I folded it up into fourths and just kinda stuffed it in. Tamped it down with a nail because I forgot a tool. Well, time to see if I did this right!
Nothing better than a corn cob and a nail. Function over form dude! I keep a nail with my cob because using a tool with it just wouldn’t feel right to me. I use cheap tools with cheap pipes and an expensive one with my nice pipes. They all smoke good and do the same thing. I even liked using my finger at the beginning so I could get a better feel for the proper tamping force. YMMV though!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Now that I am committed - two pipes today, I ordered tins of Orlik Slice, Erinmore Slice and Plumbcake. I remember those from my pipe days. I just have to get all my pipes back from my neighbor if I can casually run into him with a pipe in my mouth.

Ok, I think I need to learn to pack these better. I can't keep this bowl going for love or money. Puffing harder sure isn't working. That must be the tongue bite I've heard so much about.

That said, so far I'm really enjoying this. Just before the burn, I was getting little hints of sweet and little bits of grassy hay kinda taste. And something else I can't yet identify. I'm sitting on my beautiful covered front porch gently swinging enjoying the cool night air sharing my thoughts with cool people. It doesn't get too much better according to the Book of Rookie.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
View attachment 1104082View attachment 1104083View attachment 1104084View attachment 1104085

ETA; As soon as I got it going, I learned an important lesson. It ain't a cig. And my lungs and stomach don't care if the inhale was accidental or not. Took a sip of water, set down a second.

Likely tamping a bit too tight. If it was Escudo, maybe crunch and loosen it a bit more than folding it. Once lit, then use your tamper and check the draw till it feels right and smoke easily.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Ok, I think I need to learn to pack these better. I can't keep this bowl going for love or money. Puffing harder sure isn't working. That must be the tongue bite I've heard so much about.

That said, so far I'm really enjoying this. Just before the burn, I was getting little hints of sweet and little bits of grassy hay kinda taste. And something else I can't yet identify. I'm sitting on my beautiful covered front porch gently swinging enjoying the cool night air sharing my thoughts with cool people. It doesn't get too much better according to the Book of Rookie.
At least you have the relaxing part down pat. Might try not packing too tight. The draw should be easy. You'll figure it out.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks

Both of those MM cob pipes smoke really great. I have several of each and love them. My current favorite cob pipe though is an MM Country Gentleman. Happy smokes to you and enjoy the ride.

Omg! I found the hollow dowel they used. Nothing like charred wood to let you know you're done with that bowl. I wasn't prepared for that.

And that charred wood taste tells me I'm done for the night. I got about 45 minutes in. Some very nice flavors I could pick out. A very relaxing way to spend an hour. Thank you all for hanging out with me the first time I tried this!

Top Bottom