What's new

So you talked me into it

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
My perspective lies in the final years of pipe smoking. The majority of my 50 or so years of pipe smoking involved trying every boutique tinned tobacco I could afford at the time (pipe tobacco used to be rather inexpensive). I mostly smoked Lat heavy English blends and Nic heavy Lakeland tobacco. I gave up pipes for six years or so and only picked it up again recently - actually inspired by this forum as I grew tired of all the shaving stuff. Where I am now with tobaccos is not finding exciting, strong heavy blends but finding those that bring me the most peaceful pleasure - time for reflection etc. I now prefer mild and simple blends as found in Burley based OTC types. My favorites are Half and Half, Edgeworth, SWR and possibly the illusive Velvet whose beauty is somehow hard to consistently grab hold of. One outlier is the VaPer Victoria (Elizabethan Mixture) which somehow fits beautifully with the above and is available in bulk. I don’t smoke it regularly because I want to cellar most of it for a year. To keep from Burley Boredom, I have an occasional bowl from the American/English family of Walmut, Revelation and Holiday Mixture. This just about sums up where I am with tobacco. I do have a few tins such as Bullseye, Orlic Golden Flake, Plumcake, Escudo and of course, Erinmore flake for when I crave Jucy Fruit chewing gum. These I rarely smoke. As far as pipes go, most are estate pipes consisting of Savinelli, Peterson, GBD Kaywoodies and such and I’ve never had a disappointing experience with them. (Cobs don’t count). In any case, I’m quite content and my purchases are mostly increasing stock of my few favs. The snuff thing, on the other hand, is on the verge of getting out of control 😂.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
My perspective lies in the final years of pipe smoking. The majority of my 50 or so years of pipe smoking involved trying every boutique tinned tobacco I could afford at the time (pipe tobacco used to be rather inexpensive). I mostly smoked Lat heavy English blends and Nic heavy Lakeland tobacco. I gave up pipes for six years or so and only picked it up again recently - actually inspired by this forum as I grew tired of all the shaving stuff. Where I am now with tobaccos is not finding exciting, strong heavy blends but finding those that bring me the most peaceful pleasure - time for reflection etc. I now prefer mild and simple blends as found in Burley based OTC types. My favorites are Half and Half, Edgeworth, SWR and possibly the illusive Velvet whose beauty is somehow hard to consistently grab hold of. One outlier is the VaPer Victoria (Elizabethan Mixture) which somehow fits beautifully with the above and is available in bulk. I don’t smoke it regularly because I want to cellar most of it for a year. To keep from Burley Boredom, I have an occasional bowl from the American/English family of Walmut, Revelation and Holiday Mixture. This just about sums up where I am with tobacco. I do have a few tins such as Bullseye, Orlic Golden Flake, Plumcake, Escudo and of course, Erinmore flake for when I crave Jucy Fruit chewing gum. These I rarely smoke. As far as pipes go, most are estate pipes consisting of Savinelli, Peterson, GBD Kaywoodies and such and I’ve never had a disappointing experience with them. (Cobs don’t count). In any case, I’m quite content and my purchases are mostly increasing stock of my few favs. The snuff thing, on the other hand, is on the verge of getting out of control 😂.
It’s interesting what you just wrote.

Many of the really old pipers I’ve encountered over the years, and I guess I’m becoming one too, eventually gravitate back full-circle to the old OTC standards as their daily smoke. The more expensive blends increasingly serve as punctuation marks to that running story, for changes of pace, or for more special moments.

Not that the better artesian blends are not delicious. But that they are so much as a fillet minion or prime rib would be. And as much as I enjoy prime rib, I don’t think I would care for it every single night.

A favorite OTC offers an uncomplicated simplicity and an easy certainty that doesn’t demand your undivided attention like an artesian blend might. It just gently attends in the background of one’s senses, pleasant, but never conspicuous or distracting. Making whatever else you are principally focused on a little more enjoyable. Not prime rib. Meatloaf. And just as soothing, comfortable, and relaxing on most days. And relaxing is what piping is all about.

Most nights it’s meatloaf for me.

You don’t need expensive pipes to enjoy pipe smoking your entire life. Just a few good-drawing ones, and the time and patience to learn good piping.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

Many of the really old pipers I’ve encountered over the years, and I guess I’m becoming one too, eventually gravitate back full-circle to the old OTC standards as their daily smoke. The more expensive blends increasingly serve as punctuation marks to that running story, for changes of pace, or for more special moments.

Not that the better artesian blends are not delicious. But that they are so much as a fillet minion or prime rib would be. And as much as I enjoy prime rib, I don’t think I would care for it every single night.

A favorite OTC offers an uncomplicated simplicity and an easy certainty that doesn’t demand your undivided attention like an artesian blend might. It just gently attends in the background of one’s senses, pleasant, but never conspicuous or distracting. Making whatever else you are principally focused on a little more enjoyable. Not prime rib. Meatloaf. And just as soothing, comfortable, and relaxing on most days. And relaxing is what piping is all about.

You don’t need expensive pipes to enjoy pipe smoking your entire life. Just a few good-drawing ones, and the time and patience to learn good piping.
Well said. Thanks for the reply. 😊

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

Now your talking my language.

Gawith loose tobaccos are sole over the counter in at least two newsagents within a mile or so walk from my house. I have stuck to those and Condor Long Cut (available in some supermarkets) for the last few years.

I've only recently spread the wings a little, and stocked up on tins, because I want to see how the tobaccos I'm familiar with, sit amongst the wider market, and ease of ageing. It's so much easier to chuck a tin in the drawer, than mess around buying jars, then sterilising, packing, and labelling them. On the whole, from what I've sampled so far, they're not significantly better or worse. It's all tobacco at the end of the day, just mixed up differently, and splashed with different stuff. I had tried Sam Gawith tinned stuff in the past, but this is my first exposure to all the other tinned products available in the UK.

Long term, I expect the Gawiths to be staples, and probably zone in on just a few favourites in tins. I don't need a huge variety either, I've discovered. Half a dozen different blends would probably be ample, with maybe an occasional other for a change. I only spread the menu a couple of months ago, and am already starting to lose track of what some blends were like. I got bored with taking notes. I'm glad that I'm diversifying for a while, but could easily settle down with a pouch of Condor and a few of the Gawiths.

If I count a short (20min) train journey, as well as the shops within walking distance, I could get the following excellent tobaccos, and be quite content

Condor Long Cut
Coniston Cut Plug
Louisiana Flake
No.7 Broken Flake
Ennerdale Flake
Bob's Chocolate Flake
Best Brown #2
Pensioners Mixture
Assorted shag tobaccos

It's worth noting though, that most tins/pouches are actually around the same price here. Maybe 10-20% more. In fact the Big Tobaccos brands (Condor, St Bruno, etc) tend to be the most expensive. So there's no real cost incentive of codger vs fancy tins. One's just easier to find than the other if you've got a £20 note in your pocket that you want to trade for some.

That is interesting. I'm seeing 2 extremes, the bookends so to speak. I'm in the beginning of my pipe smoking and hearing from people smoking 50+ years.

I am so grateful for those here pushing the OTC brands. That was a surprise, that such a common pedestrian brand should be that good. I'm really trying to avoid much boutique, although labels like C&D and Pease may waver into that territory. But so far, almost everything I purchased has been local from storefronts.

Sorry, trying to get these thoughts out during a work day isn't always easy or efficient. But that's my cross to bear.

I'm not looking for any more addiction disorders. When I said that, it was partially being flippant and partly because I know myself. That Medico was $10. I'm paying under $5 per 2 ounce sample. Cobs are well priced. And with it all available locally (for me), it's so easy to spend $25 at the local smoke shop and walk out with several wonderful smelling tobaccos and a cob to enjoy them on the way home. Make that trip twice and there's 2 pipes and 7-9 2 ounce bags of pipe weed.

Yeah, the best way is to know what I want. AimlessWanderer put it a very good and relevant way, with the bike. But much like the bike, until my jeans hit the saddle and get a few hundred miles under my belt, I'm not going to know what I want. Case in point, my first bike was a sport bike. I thought I wanted to lean into turns scraping hard parts and unleashing my inner Valentino Rossi. But after doing that, I learned better. Much like my pipe tobacco and pipes. I'm not ready 100% sure what I want, where I want to take it. So that's how I have 3 pounds in 2 once samples. Yeah, it kinda got away from me a little. But I can chalk that up to rookie mistakes.

Also, a lot of what I wrote was just verbalized how my head works sometimes. Just as sometimes seeing my thoughts laid out like that can be helpful. A couple/ few samples of each would let me know what I like and don't. My plan was to find, say, English and then find 'my" blends and by pounds of that. I didn't expect to like just about all I've tried. And once I'm down a few samples, I'll be getting real weight of a few and play with the rest. And so on until I have my like 8 or 10 blends that I rotate.

Brandaves, that was very nice of you to say. Thank you. And it got "Awww! That's so sweet!" from Mrs. Rookie
Errors aside, though, nothing about my little blurb about Mrs. Rookie and I is unique to us. After 20 years of marriage, any couple is going to have their journey. Every couple is going to have their ups and downs. All I did was type out bullet points from the highlights I'm willing to share over the net.

Sweet! I can still edit! Ok, about the pipes I have, well I like them. I don't own a bad smoker. And a couple of them are lookers. I'd say that funky Medico and my prince fall into that category. And my bent billiard, more stately than beautiful. But even that one is kind of eh. Again, they smoke great though. Right now I'm in the camp of life is too short for an ugly hunting dog or car. Now don't get my wrong, I'll stand in line to proclaim that 25 year old Camry is a good car and that one eyed three legged mutt is the goodest of boys. But I like my Charger and big flashy setter. I think i can get my good pretty boy at a decent price. And that's what I'm eventually building to do for pipes.

Last edited:
So here's a question for those still paying attention. There's a term I've heard being thrown about. Not so much here as other dark scary corners of the interwebs. This term has the ability to turn brother against brother, unless the reader has no brother in which case he has to turn against a male cousin. The reactions are universally either "Run away!" or "It's the best ever!". And in all that, all I can find on my own is, well, it's polarizing. And that has gotten my attention. I hope that someone here can help.

That term is "Lakeland tobacco". All I can gather is Lakelands are a floral tobacco and will ghost a meerschaum given the chance. Is the taste perfume-y, or just the tin or room note? Is it something to look at more (as in look at in my smokingpipes cart) or should I leave that alone for a couple years? What exactly are Lakeland blends (other than blended in England's picturesque Lakeland region)? Why are they so polarizing?
Let me tell you, it's hard asking advice on subjects where the whole damn hobby is YMMV. Objective answers to subjective questions, I know that's not fair for anyone. But I still have to ask.

In other news, I picked up another aromatic yesterday. I do want to look more at aromatics. I think that's be good for work, for smoking in my work truck. Everyone already smokes cigarettes in them, and a nice aromatic tobacco has to be better than that. I have a few cigs stay in the pack for each bowl I smoke, so if I can have more pipes behind the wheel it stands to reason I'll be smoking less cigarettes and making my truck smell better each time. Also I think aros would be nicer for those times when another person is in the truck with me. To that end, I picked up a MM Something, with their Rob Roy bowl in a decent size and a bent stem. That's going to replace my MM Eaton which will be promoted to car pipe.

So PS Optimum is now in the lineup for this. I will try some this coming week and see how I like it as well as Mrs. Rookie and neighbors who happen to pass by. Between Optimum, F&S match, Sutliff Amaretto, and cherry cavendish, that's what I'm starting with. Unless anyone has any other suggestions for tobacco blends that have very well loved room notes?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Lakelands 🤣 You're going to have to experience that for yourself ;)

I like them, in moderation. I wouldn't smoke them all the time, nor avoid them either. Like any other family of tobaccos, you'll find some you like more than others. Yes, they will ghost, but I have different pipes for different types of tobacco, so it's no issue for me. As to what the scents are, they're all different, and complex. Unlike most aromatics, which might have one or two added flavours, these might have up to ten blended flavours in that casing, floral, fruit, spice etc. The tobacco flavours still come through too, as they don't rely on cavendish to carry the scents

If you like/don't like one, that doesn't mean you'll feel that way about all of them. Ennerdale flake is one of the stronger scented ones, I believe. I like it, and to me it doesn't taste soapy, as some describe. I'd say the Lakelands would give you a nice smoke while freshening up the cab of the truck. Condor Long Cut is a favourite of mine. Not true Lakeland, as it's made elsewhere, but similarly scented.

I would suggest trying them. You obviously have diverse enough tastes to appreciate them, as you're not anti-aromatic. The first couple of smokes may have your senses confused if it's not something you're used to, but I reckon you'll find at least a couple you like. Maybe more.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
So here's a question for those still paying attention. There's a term I've heard being thrown about. Not so much here as other dark scary corners of the interwebs. This term has the ability to turn brother against brother, unless the reader has no brother in which case he has to turn against a male cousin. The reactions are universally either "Run away!" or "It's the best ever!". And in all that, all I can find on my own is, well, it's polarizing. And that has gotten my attention. I hope that someone here can help.

That term is "Lakeland tobacco". All I can gather is Lakelands are a floral tobacco and will ghost a meerschaum given the chance. Is the taste perfume-y, or just the tin or room note? Is it something to look at more (as in look at in my smokingpipes cart) or should I leave that alone for a couple years? What exactly are Lakeland blends (other than blended in England's picturesque Lakeland region)? Why are they so polarizing?
Let me tell you, it's hard asking advice on subjects where the whole damn hobby is YMMV. Objective answers to subjective questions, I know that's not fair for anyone. But I still have to ask.

In other news, I picked up another aromatic yesterday. I do want to look more at aromatics. I think that's be good for work, for smoking in my work truck. Everyone already smokes cigarettes in them, and a nice aromatic tobacco has to be better than that. I have a few cigs stay in the pack for each bowl I smoke, so if I can have more pipes behind the wheel it stands to reason I'll be smoking less cigarettes and making my truck smell better each time. Also I think aros would be nicer for those times when another person is in the truck with me. To that end, I picked up a MM Something, with their Rob Roy bowl in a decent size and a bent stem. That's going to replace my MM Eaton which will be promoted to car pipe.

So PS Optimum is now in the lineup for this. I will try some this coming week and see how I like it as well as Mrs. Rookie and neighbors who happen to pass by. Between Optimum, F&S match, Sutliff Amaretto, and cherry cavendish, that's what I'm starting with. Unless anyone has any other suggestions for tobacco blends that have very well loved room notes?
Rookie, meet me in the Stock Exchange.

So, it's 6:15 am right now. Just got to work, but it's not quite time to go in yet. And, for the first time, I just finished a pipe with black coffee. I've never had a first thing in the morning pipe before. I tell you, though, Carter Hall really freaking works! Gentle enough to help with fighting muscle memory (kept trying to inhale) on an empty stomach. Adds a nice component to the coffee, and vice versa. I think I found my new morning commute thing. And with any luck, the joyful aroma of tobacco, anise, and whatever else is in there will stick around long enough to act as sort of poor man's cologne.

Yeah, I know it's a rookie newbie thing to be that surprised by an early morning pipe. But I was really worried about that unconscious inhaling first thing in the morning. I'm happy to report that, while I did inhale a couple/ few times, after a little coughing, everything was just fine. It also tells me something else. That pouch of Carter Hall that now lives in my car's console is in serious contention to become the go-to tobacco for driving, replacing cigarettes.

brandaves

Carter Hall is a really nice OTC in the morning with a cup o' joe. It's chocolate and nutty flavor just screams for a coffee to pair it with. I sent you some C&D Nutty Irishman which also pairs nicely but requires a bit of drying time as do most aromatics.

Really? I have a few ounces of Nutty Irishman sitting in my cart. It sounded, on paper at least, to be a great breakfast blend.

So far, Carter Hall and Field and Stream Match are duking it out for the car pipe. I just want to try F&S in the morning first. Although there's probably nothing saying I cabby bring both.

brandaves

Nutty Irishman tastes like Irish cream coffee to me...makes for an excellent morning blend with coffee. Drink it black and let the blend work as the creamer.

I haven't had F&S so I can't speak to it.

F&S is another mild burley aromatic like CH or the like. I'm not sure if it's an old codger brand match, but that same bullet proof burley with a sweetish very light dark fruit with some sort of liqueur spray. It just happens to be the one that struck a cord with me.

So my car's interior is starting to pick up the pipe smell. Much better than cigarettes to be sure! But still not a great smell when stale. But a little air freshener should take care of that I think. But that lead me to a discovery.

I think my grandfather smoked a pipe. Ok, so my parents met, fell in love, and got married in Worcester, Mass. Then came down to Baltimore and made a life here. So a couple/ few times a year, we'd make the 500 more trek up to visit. My grandfather's car had the same smell my car is getting. He never smoked around us, but that Carter Hall in my car is really reminding me of that. Huh, I might have to sit my mother in my car and see if she reacts.
I would really like to say he was a big influence in my life, but he died when I was 8. However, he did instill a deep seeded love and respect for nature. How everything interacts, how nature wants us to work but will take care of us when we do. He taught me to identify morel mushrooms, thickets that would attract grouse, and how to correctly choose a fishing lure for conditions.

So it's in his honor I have this next bowl of Carter Hall. I wish I could have known you better, Grandpa.

I'll be back to my old jovial self with the next post.

brandaves

They say that scent is the sense most strongly connected to memory. It's strange how certain smells can take us to a completely different place.

You're absolutely right about that. That one whiff can transport you, trigger deeply locked away memories. My intentions last night were to say how enjoying a pipe with different music playing changes things. And to recommend the Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem for top shelf pipe smoking music. But I had to go into my car a minute. And then that smell triggered memories.
Oh, and for what is worth, Clancy and Makem are fantastic music for smoking a pipe to. Certainly worth a YouTube search if you're looking for something a little different to try.

So I noticed something interesting over the past month or so. As I'm smoking more pipe tobacco, I'm finding I smoke much less cigarette tobacco. That was never the plan, I got the pipe to replace cigars and not cigarettes. But that's how it's working out anyways. And now that snuff is in the mix, I'm smoking even less. Yesterday I smoked half the cigarettes I usually do! And as I'm smoking less cigarettes, I'm feeling better and better. I'm not getting winded as quickly going up stairs or steep hills (I've always loved hiking). I'm sleeping better, tasting more, and generally feeling better. I've even been able to take less of my anxiety meds! Don't get me wrong, I'm not endorsing anything. But for me, the results are not up for debate. So to every regular poster here in BL who talked me into it, thank you for this fringe benefit!

So I tried a new aromatic last night. A week later than I should have, but the USPS is what it is (thank you again, Brandaves!). So many great samples, each bringing something very different to the nose. My first thought was sweet Jesus, aromatic tobacco blends are a bigger rabbit hole than shave soaps! I ended up cutting through the analysis paralysis and going with 1Q. Let's see what the country's best selling aro has to offer. And I was pleasantly surprised. Usually when a thing is so hyped, it raises my expectations and never turns out as good as its been built up. But I can see why 1Q is so popular.

Aros in general I'm starting to unlock their secrets. I'm starting to realize that they are great for controlling cadence. The burley blends Steveclarkus turned me onto, when they get pushed they turn hot and ashy tasting. They end up tasting like kissing a girl who just put out a cigarette, which let me know to change some behavior around Mrs. Rookie. Virginia blends, smoke them hot and they bite anywhere from cute little puppy with razor sharp teeth to the big old rottweiler who you just woke up from a nap. And English blends are too heavy for me to smoke too fast and hot. Like running up Rocky Balboa's steps, I just physically cannot do that fast.

Aromatics, on the other hand, do not punish bad behavior. Instead they reward slow smoking with wonderful flavors. If I smoke them too fast, they don't get real bitey or ashy (unless I really go crazy). Instead they go from good to meh. For my milage, aromatics rely on the carrot.

The other concept I'm starting to realize is what AimlessWanderer was talking about earlier. Instead of English/ burley/etc., my various little jars and baggies are slowly but surely revealing themselves to be situational smokes. For example, Carter Hall and Field and Stream (I think 1Q will end up here) are great driving blends. They can smoke on their own, I don't have to pay any attention to them if my focus is elsewhere. But if it's not, they're very engaging blends. English blends are wonderful for when the sun goes down, like a good scotch! That heavy smokey contemplative pipe for closing out the day. That sort of thing. It's really interesting and kind of cool to watch this play out. How different situations change how I view/ taste/ smell different pipe related things isn't something I expected a few short months ago.

I'm also seeing something else that's completely unexpected. Without going into detail, I've done more traveling in my life than most. I've been more than a year in Europe and SW Asia. In the States, spent much time in New England, The South, and the Midwest. From desolate Iraqi deserts to Maine's endless mountainous pine forests to the international hustle and bustle of Munich and New York to the 3/4 horse Kansas town with the one stop light and grain elevator.

I say all that to say this. This pipe tobacco journey has the same feel. Not to the extreme of being in new places, but that same sense of different yet familiar? Is hard to put into words. Since I grew up and acquired children and mortgage and responsibilities and stability, so far pipes have been scratching that itch. I can close my eyes and taste the fog on the moors, the open air markets in Marrakesh or Skopje, the freshly mown hay fields in the South or Midwest. Not perfect, but enough to calm the urge to roam.

I think I am going to sit down with a bowl and read this thread from the start . . . it might save me some coin (or cost me a LOT MORE).

I'm about several hours behind Rookie on this road trip, with 9 x 50g samples inbound and a 50g package of Amphora being used to season my first pipe. The wife has encouraged the switch from cigars, as she keeps mentioning her Grandfather and his pipe habit, and I am nothing if not indulgent.

I am hopeful this thread will help avoid some pitfalls and poor acquisition decisions. Many thanks, gents. Always nice to follow a well trodden path.

Top Bottom