What's new

So you talked me into it

My "cellar" (actually a closet in the kitchen) is hardly deep or wide. I have various pouches or plastic bags of a number of blends, mostly burley and (recently) Virginias; a bunch of the classic codgers including a can of Granger; and 3 or 4 English blends. I figure I'm set for a long time.

That said, if I run out to the tobacconist this morning and find he has some Newminster 400 Flake, some of that may follow me home.

Xmas be coming. I don't plan to buy any more leaf, but a cob is on the horizon, and maybe a new or estate briar with a horn stem too.

Many of the Ropp pipes on SP have horn stems; I know you'll have seen them. My vintage Jeantet billiard from Blue Room Briars has the horn, and so does a low-profile bulldog I have been using for English blends.

16684604778169061890365487317022.jpg16684605093324432980937112688846.jpg
So I managed to acquire this through work. We had a great last quarter, our department lead the way in that. The boss wanted to get everyone in the department something special. A thing, not a cash bonus. It's a nice gesture. I couldn't think of anything and told them not to worry about it. Buy me a crabcake and call it good. My immediate supervisor found this lattice carved no name meerschaum. He knows me too well. A couple months ago I gave him a James Gang album, introducing him to Joe Walsh. If this is block meerschaum, this makes us even.

I'm looking forward to this pipe. A meerschaum has been on my list for a while to come across. Obviously, I want to see how this colors up. I've colored virgin briar and that's cool, but I've seen picture of antique meers and it'll be fun to watch that progress. And that lattice should give nice contrast.

I'm more interested in the ghost resistance and neutral influence. The Squadron Leader was great, but I don't really remember it in the briar. Maybe when I try Field and Stream Match tonight. The other thing I'm looking forward to, multiple bowls.

And one more, because pictures.

Attachments

• 16684617167696590762444163426217.jpg
    16684617167696590762444163426217.jpg
    1,018.8 KB · Views: 2

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
View attachment 1556637View attachment 1556638
So I managed to acquire this through work. We had a great last quarter, our department lead the way in that. The boss wanted to get everyone in the department something special. A thing, not a cash bonus. It's a nice gesture. I couldn't think of anything and told them not to worry about it. Buy me a crabcake and call it good. My immediate supervisor found this lattice carved no name meerschaum. He knows me too well. A couple months ago I gave him a James Gang album, introducing him to Joe Walsh. If this is block meerschaum, this makes us even.

I'm looking forward to this pipe. A meerschaum has been on my list for a while to come across. Obviously, I want to see how this colors up. I've colored virgin briar and that's cool, but I've seen picture of antique meers and it'll be fun to watch that progress. And that lattice should give nice contrast.

I'm more interested in the ghost resistance and neutral influence. The Squadron Leader was great, but I don't really remember it in the briar. Maybe when I try Field and Stream Match tonight. The other thing I'm looking forward to, multiple bowls.

And one more, because pictures.

Grats!
There is a guy on YouTube, smokingpipeliner I think, who swears everything tastes better in a Meer.

Enjoy.
They say to keep your fingers of the meer because the dirt also colors.
On my meer you can see those markings (same on my virgin briar).
I don't care, but maybe you will

Enjoy.
They say to keep your fingers of the meer because the dirt also colors.
On my meer you can see those markings (same on my virgin briar).
I don't care, but maybe you will
I've heard the same thing about fingerprints. I care enough to try to grip it by the stem, but life is what it is. It's a tool first, even if it is a gorgeous work of art tool. If nothing else, the finger oils and dirt will add more character. That's what I'm telling myself anyways.

Jup. I tried the same thing, but i stopped because it feld not good to me. I grap tham now like i do with my other pipes and they become yours with the markings.
I try to have clean hands when smoking them however. So no grease (can be anything) or dirt on my hands.

[Snip]
I try to have clean hands when smoking them however. So no grease (can be anything) or dirt on my hands.
Yeah. I work for a plumbing company. Taking a shower immediately when I get home has become a standard practice for me because God knows what chemicals or worse I have on my hands. I want that off before even touching the tobacco to load it.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Yeah. I work for a plumbing company. Taking a shower immediately when I get home has become a standard practice for me because God knows what chemicals or worse I have on my hands. I want that off before even touching the tobacco to load it.
I used to joke with the guys I worked with and would say "You know it's a tough job when you need to wash your hands BEFORE you go to the bathroom".

We're doing a family drive today. I brought my meerschaum with me. My hope this morning is that those properties, ghost resistance and I can smoke multiple bowls a day, it should lend itself for freeing up room for different blends.

We're doing a family drive today. I brought my meerschaum with me. My hope this morning is that those properties, ghost resistance and I can smoke multiple bowls a day, it should lend itself for freeing up room for different blends.
I wouldn’t count on the non-ghosting with Lakelands or something like Condor but other than that it’s fine as are multiple bowls.

Well my experiment was a rousing half success. The pipe did fine with 4 bowls. They weren't one right after another, maybe an hour or so between. But no nasty goopy surprises. However, as to the ghosting, I think it worked but I can't be sure. Aromatics are still tricky for me as far as identifying flavors, especially when the descriptions are vague. Stokkebye Natural Dutch Cavendish, 7Seas Black, and 7Seas Regular went before Field and Stream Match. F&S tasted about right, but I'm too used to it in briars to really know if I want getting any residual sweetness from the aros. And I found myself without need of the Five Bros to really tell, that's a single purpose tool.

Top Bottom