What's new

So yesterday I tried an AC clone

I started using a straight razor about two years ago. I have reached a point where my shaves are good, but I have not been able to get BBS. I started honing my razors about 5 months after I started using a straight. My edges seem keen and easily pass the FOTFT. However, I was curious to how my razor would compare with an AC type blade.

I purchased a Feather DX clone on-line for about $20. It came with 10 AC type blades with no branding. Yesterday, I loaded one of the blades and went through my normal pre-shave routine, whipped up some A&E Vetiver Magnifique, and began shaving. I was somewhat apprehensive at first, but the clone turned out to be easy and comfortable to use. I did two North to South passes, which with my beard growth includes WTG, XTG, and ATG. Today, I followed the same routine using one of my razors. This razor had been honed on a 5K, a 10K, a translucent Ark and stropped on .5 micron cbn, .25 micron cbn and .10 micron cbn balsa strops. It will cut my arm hair .5 inch or more above the skin with little or no sound.

So was my edge as good as the AC blade? No, my edge was very good but it was not as good. The clone edge seemed slightly more keen and slightly smoother. The shave was just a little closer. Although I did not match the AC blade, I will keep trying and use it as a goal.

On a final note, I enjoyed the DX clone shave. I think I will purchase some genuine feather blades and try again. The clone would certainly make a good back-up or travel razor.

My edges are less keep but smoother. My highest stone is a Naniwa 8k.

But I totally agree, an AC shavette is a really nice tool for travel. I could not be bothered to travel with an SR ad strop.

You're in for a revelation. There is a huge difference between Chinese AC blade and Japanese.

br
godek

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I use the Feather AC DX with Feather Proguard and also Professional blades and both are incredibly sharp. The Professional blades especially are simply astonishing and with them the AC razor is the most unforgiving razor I have ever used by some margin; I include straight razors in that. It shaves like nothing else I have ever used. 👍

I use the Feather AC DX with Feather Proguard and also Professional blades and both are incredibly sharp. The Professional blades especially are simply astonishing and with them the AC razor is the most unforgiving razor I have ever used by some margin; I include straight razors in that. It shaves like nothing else I have ever used. 👍
I ordered some Feather Lites, Feather Professional and Kai Original from tryablade.com. Eager to try them. Regardless of how they work, I will continue to use straights most of the time.

I ordered some Feather Lites, Feather Professional and Kai Original from tryablade.com. Eager to try them. Regardless of how they work, I will continue to use straights most of the time.
You made a big mistake not ordering Schick Prolines. Both sharper AND smoother than any of the Feather or Kai versions.

My edges are less keep but smoother. My highest stone is a Naniwa 8k.

But I totally agree, an AC shavette is a really nice tool for travel. I could not be bothered to travel with an SR ad strop.

You're in for a revelation. There is a huge difference between Chinese AC blade and Japanese.

br
godek
Tried a Feather Lite today. It was sharper than the blades that came with the razor. Better shave over all. I am curious to see what the Kai and Feather Professional blades will be like.

You made a big mistake not ordering Schick Prolines. Both sharper AND smoother than any of the Feather or Kai versions.
For me this has been an experiment to see what the AC blades are like compared to my straights. So far I like it, but not necessarily more than a straight. If I decide to put a shavette in my rotation, I will try the Schick Prolines. I am curious as to how many shaves you typically get from a Proline.

Tried a Feather Lite today. It was sharper than the blades that came with the razor. Better shave over all. I am curious to see what the Kai and Feather Professional blades will be like.
I did not like the Feather Light blades, I used one for about five shaves in a row before giving up. Each shave resulted in a weeper or two with the blade, usually under the nose which almost never happens when using a Feather Super and Super Pro blade. I cannot remember exactly which razor I was using but I believe was a Feather DX...I should really try it again with a few different razors to see if I have the same experience now, and see if areas like the chin might be better suited for the "Light" blade. Perhaps it is well suited to getting a light shave, meaning not to a DFS level, but I found that when trying to get my normal shave the angle was a bit steeper. I will try it again someday.

For me this has been an experiment to see what the AC blades are like compared to my straights. So far I like it, but not necessarily more than a straight. If I decide to put a shavette in my rotation, I will try the Schick Prolines. I am curious as to how many shaves you typically get from a Proline.
I have a coarse, 50% gray beard that grows quickly. I shave four times a week. I am getting almost a month from each blade, and I don't push the blade at all. I could probably get more. I also don't count shaves on the blade. I suspect I am getting somewhere between 14 and 17 good shaves from each blade.

Well, I am definitely in the gray beard group. I used to get about a month out of a fusion cartridge, so I was wondering how the AC blades compared. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Well, I am definitely in the gray beard group. I used to get about a month out of a fusion cartridge, so I was wondering how the AC blades compared. Thanks for sharing your experience.
I only got about seven decent daily shaves off a Fusion cartridge, so for me, at least, the Prolines last slightly more than twice as many shaves, every though I'm shaving less frequently and therefore have more growth at each shave.

I usually shave every day. When I used to use a fusion, I could get 30 days out of it. Usually got pretty tuggy towards the end. So far, I am impressed with the AC blades.

Today I tried a Kai Original. Blade exposure was more than the Feather Lite. Exposure on the Lite was so small, at first I did not notice the blade was still in the razor. The shave with the Kai was as close as most of my straight razor shaves even though I only did two N to S passes. Lost a small mole that so far had survived my straight shaves.

Yes, Same for me. Where the SR glides over many small obstacles, the AC blade just cuts into them.

I still like the zero maintenance AC offers.

I had fusion carts last between 2 and 15 good shaves. Not all of them great. But I always tried to delay swapping due to cost.

AC blades nearly always give me 10 great shaves, sometimes even more.

br
godek

I use the Feather AC RG with ProGuard Blades and get between seven to ten good shaves. I do, however, shave on the third day, with strong whiskers, because I shave so closely with the Feather, could shave on the second day afternoon, and do sometimes, that third day give my face time to rest and heal. The Feather AC's are truly phenomenal razors.

Top Bottom