What's new

So...Who keeps Fishes?

Time to revive this thread...

I've kept freshwater fish at various times in my life. I've had planted tanks, discus tanks, etc. I thought I was over that, until recently. Last month, SWMBO convinced me to get a reef tank set up. After a lot of arm-twisting:001_smile, I agreed. We are not the prowd owners of a 55 gal reef tank. The tank is now cycling, no fish, no corals, just live rock with some macro algae.

I have a 125g FOWLR, fish only with live rock. Only two fish at the moment but we're planning more. I lost a few older fish over the last 6-8 months. Sorry about the pic. We're putting up Christmas decorations so everything is a mess. Just grabbed a quick phone pic.
proxy.php

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
after owning/caring for/being in the company of numerous pets my whole life ive decided NO MORE PETS of any kind. But at one point i did have an Oscar in a 55 gallon tank, and feeder fish in a small 5 gallon tank. It was fun for about 1 day watching the Oscar inhale the feeder fish, but once they started being digested what a hassle! DIRTY fish the Oscar. grows quickly and is pretty much just boring after the "hey check this out". i also had some red tail sharks, pleco, guppies, and some other fish i cant remember the name off. it was all fun for a little while then got boring and to much $

NO. MORE. PETS.

My planted tank and my saltwater tank with my always interested son, he pays no mind to my freshwater tank but he loves 'HIS' Nemos and shrimp and starfish.
proxy.php

proxy.php

I keep Cichlids, they are an entertaining group. There's a Leopard catfish and an algea eater hiding in there as well.

Attachments

• $fish 004.jpg
    $fish 004.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 84
I have a 60 gallon fresh water aquarium. I have angels, neons, a pleco and 3 sword tails. The last year and half has been great, I have had minimal fish loss, the trick is to do the partial water changes every week. Whenever I slack off on this I have problems.

$photo-1.jpg$photo.jpg

Here is the reef I had setup until this summer. I have a 1 year old and travel quite a bit for work, so my schedule doesn't allow for it anymore, but I will get back into it someday.

I shall call it a leave of absence.

proxy.php

I'm loving this thread. I'm jonesing to start a tank now. I have an old 10 gallon that I want to use to start a smal natural freshwater tank. I want plants, driftwood, and river rock. I especially like the plants that look like grass filling in some of the floor space. Any idea on some good fish for that setup? I definitely need a plecostimus and some ghost shrimp. The rest I'm flexible on. Maybe a small eel or something eel like? I know I'm pretty limited with a 10 gallon.

This may be the best forum ever, there is a thread for everyone of my hobbies:thumbup:.

10 Gal Brackish with 2 Green Spotted puffers.

30 Gal w/
1 Chinese Sucker
1 Pleco
3 Zebra Danios
2 Dalmation Mollies
3 Ballon Mollies
2 Mixed Fruit Tetras
1 Hi-Fin Tetra
1 Red Minor Tetra
1 Neon
2 Tiger Barbs
1 Albino Barb
2 Red Tuxedo Platie
1 Sunset Platie
3 Mystery Snails (Just laid eggs tonight... I may be in trouble)
2 Dwarf Frogs

and a partridge in a pear tree...

I want to get back into fish. I have had all sorts but at one time I was really into guppy breeding. I think I had 6 tanks at one time. I did this for about 3 years and had some amazing guppies. They were huge, a really nice yellow "snakeskin" leopard type. They were absolutely amazing. The females were huge and even had great color on them also. I culled all the "undesirables" by feeding them to my Oscar. In the end I ended up giving them away since I had to move. It makes me sad every time I see guppies at a store because they are nowhere near as awesome as the ones I had raised.

I just broke down two tanks last week. Currently this is what I have:

14g with one jewel cichlid

29g FOWLR

29g fresh with silver dollars and neon tetras

30g with glow light tetras, black mollies, and micky mouse platies

55g with two jewel cichlids

55g with one juvenile Jack Dempsey cichlid

180g with mbuna jewel cichlids

I used to have a 55g planted tank that had a high tech lighting system, plus the CO2 injection system. I switched that over to the 30g (minus the CO2).

I just broke down this tank...not enough time and the aiptasia and bubble algae eventually took over. I'm going to take a break for a while and then start up a 10 gallon nano cube.

$tank8.JPG$tank6.JPG

Top Bottom