What's new

So, which one of you won this auction? (Masonic Wade & Butcher Straight Razor)

I was bidding on this, but was outbid at the last moment... the Masonic blade details seem to be in much better shape than others I've seen, especially for being (from what I understand) from the early to mid 1800s. Someone out there got a great Masonic collectable and what seems to be a nice Wade & Butcher straight razor.

Link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=170795779562&nma=true&rt=nc&si=iqy5%2FbWac2iwo36bB19MFRTOfBY%3D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

$$(KGrHqNHJDUE63ZSBeO)BPUnOLMMFQ~~60_57.jpg

$$(KGrHqZHJDoE9B!-F,CUBPUnMqEi9w~~60_57.jpg

Last edited:
Oh man that's cool. I thought my 'constantinople" worlds fair was neat. No ,, I didn't bid on it . I don't frequent the bay. But that's a neat blade. I'd love to have it just for the beauty of the etching. Such beautiful details.

I didn't bid on it but I have one similar. It's the only wedge I have fully honed and use.
proxy.php

Wow I just looked at the link. Someone must have wanted that razor bad. That's a lot of money.

Yea, I was the highest bidder at $150 and then lost it at the last minute-- these usually seem to go for in the range of $200 due to the rarity of the Masonic design. Perhaps someday I'll catch one this nice. lol

Yeah for a razor that old the blade is in amazing condition. I don't think mine is masonic but I can't really tell, I think it is more along the lines or magic or wizardry.

Yeah for a razor that old the blade is in amazing condition. I don't think mine is masonic but I can't really tell, I think it is more along the lines or magic or wizardry.

From what I can see, there appears to be a Square & Compass towards the end, and so it is indeed Masonic.

The razor posted by hig789? The S&C at the end is obviously Masonic, but I agree that the rest seems unrelated to Freemasonry from what I can see of the other symbols.

I guess it could be a homemade job. I can't see how many stars there are, and the line with what looks like a snake wrapped around it could be Jacob's ladder... or it could be the snake of wisdom which you don't normally see in Masonic lit. Need a better pic.

Last edited:
I've seen a number of Straight Razors copying the design of the Wade & Butcher, sometimes with a few variations and never as crisp as the original W&B design (other than some of the new souvenir razors made by Kreiger, etc.), with these mainly being produced for a time in the 1800s-- according to my research.

I am without a doubt now that the person who etched the razor was familiar with Free Masonry. I think it’s kind of cool to be honest, and might have more or less meaning then I know. Here is the link to Grand Lodge inKentucky - http://www.grandlodgeofkentucky.org/

It might be a bit of work but, find out where there is a Lodge near you and get an “old timer” (that’s not code lol) to have a look at it. I think you’ll find them open to it –and maybe you’ll even make a friend or two lol!

I am without a doubt now that the person who etched the razor was familiar with Free Masonry. I think it’s kind of cool to be honest, and might have more or less meaning then I know. Here is the link to Grand Lodge inKentucky - http://www.grandlodgeofkentucky.org/

It might be a bit of work but, find out where there is a Lodge near you and get an “old timer” (that’s not code lol) to have a look at it. I think you’ll find them open to it –and maybe you’ll even make a friend or two lol!

+1

Top Bottom