Try some bigger images:

full
&original=1[/IMG]

full
&original=1[/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Don't know, but from what I can see of its head in the pic. it doesn't seem to have the big old fat head of a venomous one.

Can you get a closer pic? :biggrin1:

Did you get a look at the pupils of its eyes...were they round or elliptical like a cats? If they are round it's not venomous, but I still wouldn't mess with it.

Edit: Ah, you enlarged the pic. while I was typing. It does look like a racer.

Last edited:
Both Black Rat Snakes and Black Racers are native to that area. From the pics, it's kinda hard to tell, but I'd lean towards the racer.

Wow seems like it is the day for it. Nice juvenile California King Snake taking a respite from a thunderstorm on our driveway. Wife sent this a few mins ago:

proxy.php

Racers are nasty critters.

Not at all. I had a blue racer as a pet, growing up in Michigan. I caught it near an airplane hangar at a local municipal airport (not that that piece of info is pertinent whatsoever). I kept that snake for several years. It was an awesome pet.

Not at all. I had a blue racer as a pet, growing up in Michigan. I caught it near an airplane hangar at a local municipal airport (not that that piece of info is pertinent whatsoever). I kept that snake for several years. It was an awesome pet.

+1 the racer and the kings, and the one bull snake with an attitude ,we have around the yard are pretty cool, plus they keep the varmit and rattlesnake population in check

All bull snakes have attitudes. That's how they got their name. LOL. I want one!

C'Mon out we have them in droves that you could have LOL. I know of three right now on the property in total, the biggest is the one that will sit in the backyard hissing at anything that moves and shaking his absent rattles. The others we see in the other parts of the property, but no that often. Ahhh life in the desert sitting on the back patio watching the tarantulas, snakes and ringtail ground squirrels. Always entertaining.

I wish, been trying to get back to AZ ever since I left. Lived in Prescott for just over 4 years.

Prescott has become quite the town, pricing most of the locals out of the housing market Lots of folks retiring there. Well if you ever get out this way, you have a place to stay.. Raytheon is hiring engineers:thumbup1:

I love that California king. The whole king snake family has beautiful markings. I once had a very handsome Blair's king snake (from Arizona) -- they're black, grey, and orange.

Odd must have confused it for another type. I remember how they would stay at attention like a cottonmouth and they would chase after what got their attention.

who knows lol

Top Bottom