What's new

So What is your All Day Smoke?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm usually an occasional pipe smoker at best and rarely smoke more than two bowls back to back, usually only one. I have been smoking a pipe for about six years, have tried many, many blends, but have yet to identify one I could smoke "all day". I am unlikely to actually smoke anything all day since SWMBO detests tobacco use, but I still would like to identify a blend that I could smoke multiple bowls of. My preferences tend towards English blends and mild aromatic cross over blends. I'm still working on (trying to appreciate) Va/Pers and Virginia blends.

I'm usually an occasional pipe smoker at best and rarely smoke more than two bowls back to back, usually only one. I have been smoking a pipe for about six years, have tried many, many blends, but have yet to identify one I could smoke "all day". I am unlikely to actually smoke anything all day since SWMBO detests tobacco use, but I still would like to identify a blend that I could smoke multiple bowls of. My preferences tend towards English blends and mild aromatic cross over blends. I'm still working on (trying to appreciate) Va/Pers and Virginia blends.

My nominees would include a new Boswell blend ... Hunter's Choice. I also enjoy Esoterica's Stonehaven and Margate (which is also an English blend w/ a bit of latakia).

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The Esotericas might be out of consideration merely by their availability, or lack thereof, but thanks for your suggestions.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
For an all day smoke in the English vein, I'd go for Peter Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme. It's complex enough to stay interesting, mild enough not to wear you out, cheap enough not to break you, and as readily available as anything except drugstore brands. I really could light up bowl after bowl of it.

I have pounds of the stuff cellared.

English is CD London Squire. Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake for a VaPer. Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake or Best Brown Flake for straight VA's.

PS English Oriental Supreme would work too to second TexLaw up there ;)

OkieStubble

The Men Who Sniff at Goats

Me and you are so much alike it's scary. Just an occasional bowl guy myself. Have never had two bowls back to back. Yet, anyway. :) English and mild Aro's are also my tendency, Fresh VaPer's can be too sharp for me, but I am beginning to really enjoy aged VaPer's. Much more smoother and subdued then fresh.

Probably would never smoke all day, but if I was a gonna, It'd be 1Q for the mild aro, FMC or an equivalent blend for my English and probably some aged LNF or LBF for a VaPer. Haven't tried aged Escudo yet, so can't say...

Yet. :)

Arango Balkan Supreme is a wonderful all day smoke. If I could only have one tobacco, it would be ABS. PM your address and I will send you a couple of bowls to try.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'll give a hearty +1 to the Arango Balkan Supreme. It's beefier than PS EOS, but it's still smooth. It's more a matter of personal taste.

Both are ready to smoke the moment you get them, too, which is nice.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Thanks guys, I have Arango Bulkan Supreme, English Oriental Supreme, a pound each that I've only sampled, and Black House which I have not tried yet. I have a **** load of various tobaccos, but the only ones that come close to an all day smoke are FMC, FMOTT and Sutliff Aromatic English. But even these fall a bit short of an all day smoke. There are many blends that I enjoy in limited quantities, ODF, Odyssey and several of the McB HH varieties, but none of them would qualify as "all day smokes". Perhaps I'm just a light weight when it comes to tobacco of any type, but I hope to find something I can enjoy for several bowls.

For me it used to be Frog Morton and 221b Black Shagg, but now that’s over.

I have three that I really smoke often and have smoked back to back to back. Dunhill Durbar, Capstain Navy Flake (or ready rub) and GLP Abingdon. Both Durbar and Abingdon are fairly stout and Capstain is a good full VA.

OkieStubble

Thanks guys, I have Arango Bulkan Supreme, English Oriental Supreme, a pound each that I've only sampled, and Black House which I have not tried yet. I have a **** load of various tobaccos, but the only ones that come close to an all day smoke are FMC, FMOTT and Sutliff Aromatic English. But even these fall a bit short of an all day smoke. There are many blends that I enjoy in limited quantities, ODF, Odyssey and several of the McB HH varieties, but none of them would qualify as "all day smokes". Perhaps I'm just a light weight when it comes to tobacco of any type, but I hope to find something I can enjoy for several bowls.

Look up Missouri Meerschaums English blend, American Patriot, if you want a milder lat blend then FMC.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@OakieStubble, I will take that into consideration, but I'm not sure that Latakia is a problem for me. Not sure what my problem is.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
@nortac, "lightweight" had nothing to do with anything. You may just like to mix things up on your palate. That's hardly unusual, and even less something you should be ashamed of. Heck, you'll hardly ever see me have the same beer or drink back to back if I have any choice in the matter.

Don't worry about "all day." Choose from what you have, and enjoy yourself. Life is both too short and too long to get tied up in forcing yourself into mold you never fit.

OkieStubble

@nortac, "lightweight" had nothing to do with anything. You may just like to mix things up on your palate. That's hardly unusual, and even less something you should be ashamed of. Heck, you'll hardly ever see me have the same beer or drink back to back if I have any choice in the matter.

Don't worry about "all day." Choose from what you have, and enjoy yourself. Life is both too short and too long to get tied up in forcing yourself into mold you never fit.

Well said.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Not worried about fitting into a mold or fitting in as an all day smoker. Just looking for something I can enjoy multiple bowls of. May be just a matter of time and further experience with what I have on hand, but I still want to hear others' takes on all day smokes.

I don't really have an all day smoke really. But if I had to it would probably be one of the peter stockabye blends. Va/per I like the luxury navy flake and bullseye flake. For english most of their blends are really good. English oriental supreme, english luxury, and proper english all are nice without going too heavy.

I think h&h black house is a bit heavier than penzance. It has been more of an occasional smoke for me. Maybe h&h white knight? It is supposed to be kinda similar but I've heard it isn't as strong. I've got a couple tins but haven't popped one open yet.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Yeah, I've got tins of White Knight and Black House that I have not popped yet.

Kentos

Wiped out at 25
Mine would be OJK or Night Train. My mouth is susceptible to burn if I smoke too many Va flakes in a day.

Top Bottom