What's new

So What Do You Use as a Home Defense Weapon?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The funny thing is I put thought into this and that was my answer. I'm in a country where guns are outlawed, so the pan should suffice.

I agree with the saying, ‘run what ya brung.’ It’s been a few years, but I remember reading about a home invasion in the UK where a man broke into a home and attacked a man’s wife with a butcher’s knife.

Her husband, grabbed a long screwdriver, attacking and killing the man from behind in order to defend his wife and home.

The husband was prosecuted.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I agree with the saying, ‘run what ya brung.’ It’s been a few years, but I remember reading about a home invasion in the UK where a man broke into a home and attacked a man’s wife with a butcher’s knife.

Her husband, grabbed a long screwdriver, attacking and killing the man from behind in order to defend his wife and home.

I guess both the attacker and the husband were screwed!😆

I guess I would say my Winchester 1200 12 gauge pump shotgun. I actually removed it from it's case last night, pulled the magazine plug and loaded 5 rounds of 3 inch magnum 00 buckshot rounds into. I haven't fired it in probably 20 years. I really didn't think I would need to keep a weapon handy as I have never needed one before. Things began to change last weekend when we were awoken last weekend on a Saturday night with our doorbell ringing at 2 am. When I finally get to the door, my neighbor from 2 doors down is yelling at me about my dogs barking. My dogs were inside in their kennels sleeping just like my wife and I were in bed. I tried to tell him it wasn't our dogs and he is yelling whose dogs are they? I told him I don't know whose dog it was, we were all sound asleep. I got pretty agitated with him and told him to GTF off of my property. I thought it was over then yesterday while I was out grilling he walks by and says if our dogs bark again in the middle of the night he is going to kill them. This guy is really pissed and I told him again it wasn't our dogs. He continued to rave and I was getting tired of him and asked him if he wanted some cheese to go with his whine. Probably shouldn't have done that. He wanted to fight me right then and there. I told him to stay off my property and he walks up to my wife's car and spits on it and tells me to go ahead call the police. The dude is seething with anger. I probably should have called the police but our house is up for sale which he can plainly see and I just want to get away from this nut case. After that is when I prepped my shotgun. Be prepared right? Hopefully nothing should come of this but do you really know what someone with anger issues might do? The shotgun is a last resort, hopefully never needed. If he comes back to my door I won't even open it or talk to him but just call the police.
My Spidey sense was right. There's two police cars at the jerks house now. The wife is in the back of one of the cars and the police are being very polite to her. Something isn't right at that house.

shavefan

I’m not a fan

I remember that one. I thought the outcome was downright idiotic, but maybe I was missing part of the story?

OkieStubble

In a word….no.
That can be readily attributed to the fact that everyone in this neck of the woods “…is within arms reach of some sort of firearm“ (paraphrasing the local law enforcement).
Polk County, TN is a designated firearms sanctuary; Tennessee is an open carry state. Hence, these are issues the criminal element has in mind when deciding if it’s really worth the effort to mess with you.
When at the local markets, or buying gas, the unabashed possession and carry of firearms within the community is quite commonplace.View attachment 1334618

Good post. An armed populace makes for a polite populace. :)

OkieStubble

I keep a 12 guage for home safety, just like I keep health insurance. I hope to never need either to save my life, but I am not going to be without either should the need arise. It is an effective way to ensure I have protection in my home and is far quicker than the response time after dialing 911. We have an excellent police force here, but they can't be everywhere at once.

I really liked what you said in a previous post in a different thread. What did you say? Something like, I wear a seat belt and carry a gun, not because, what? You need to post that here again my friend.

It was brilliant! :)

OkieStubble

I keep multiple loaded guns in various places throughout my house. Wife's night stand has a revolver with .38 Spl. defensive loads, my nightstand has a few loaded hand guns. Mossberg 590 with 00 buck and slugs in a side saddle resides in the BR closet. A .300 BO with Surefire light is close by. My mancave has various loaded firearms. Guest bedroom has a loaded AR in the closet. No kids or juvenile visitors. I'm never more than a room away from a loaded gun. I live in a dangerous house in a relatively "safe" neighborhood. My closest neighbor is 100 yds. away through the woods. Not overly worried about over penetration.

+1. I live in a townhouse with homes connected to either side of mine and I am not overly worried about over penetration, because:

1. I am a responsible gun owner.

2. I know what I’m doing because I practice and am good shooting at what I aim at.

3. I have my homes shooting lanes and backstop’s mapped out beforehand along with a plan of do’s, don’t’s and maybe’s.

4 Along with what if’s and why not’s for good measure.

:)

OkieStubble

OKS addressed Rayclem's over penetration argument extremely well.

I would pile on to note that if your buckshot load of choice is 8 or 9 pellet ( I prefer 8) FLITECONTROL by Federal, it will routinely hold a sub 5 inch group (often 1/2 of that ) at 40 (13ish yards) all day long in an open bore shotgun.

Of course, one needs to "pattern" any load to a given shotgun to know for sure.

I have seen the load hold sub 6 inches at 15 yards with "range" 870 shotguns on a routine basis during agency qualification.

I would respectfully offer that federal Flitecontrol buckshot will shoot a tight enough group for home defense in the vast majority of interior dwellings without fear of over penetration and/or missing because of a "flyer" if the shooter otherwise does their part...just as they would have to do with any other platform.

Great post and a big +1!

My Remington 870 Police is stoked with Federal Flite Control. Nice tight patterns in combat ranges.

OkieStubble

I remember that one. I thought the outcome was downright idiotic, but maybe I was missing part of the story?

Yeah, I don’t remember all of the specifics, but I do remember the couple were like in their late 70’s?

I thought it sad, the UK doesn’t allow their citizens guns, and they don’t even allow an elderly man to defend his wife with a screwdriver either.

I’m sure, the crazed man with the butchers knife, could have cared less what the UK allowed?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Yeah, I don’t remember all of the specifics, but I do remember the couple were like in their late 70’s?

I thought it sad, the UK doesn’t allow their citizens guns, and they don’t even allow an elderly man to defend his wife with a screwdriver either.

I’m sure, the crazed man with the butchers knife, could have cared less what the UK allowed?
As I understand it British law allows for 'reasonable force' to be used by a homeowner under such circumstances. I think the case to which you are referring is that of 78 year old Richard Osborn-Brooks who stabbed with a screwdriver an intruder, Henry Vincent aged 37, who later died. Mr.Osborn-Brooks was, quite properly in my view, placed into custody while an investigation took place, and then released without charge. The force used was deemed to be reasonable in this case and the law worked as it should in my opinion.

+1. I live in a townhouse with homes connected to either side of mine and I am not overly worried about over penetration, because:

1. I am a responsible gun owner.

2. I know what I’m doing because I practice and am good shooting at what I aim at.

3. I have my homes shooting lanes and backstop’s mapped out beforehand along with a plan of do’s, don’t’s and maybe’s.

4 Along with what if’s and why not’s for good measure.

:)

Excellent, I do like an individual who actually is prepared. Nice to know I'm not the only person who has firing lanes and defensive strategies for home defense.

I have only one thing to say in regards to home defense and any person who may disagree with my stratagems or possession of firearms.

"The LOCKS on the doors of my vehicle, home, and properties are not there for my PROTECTION."

They are there for yours...

End of Rant.

I really liked what you said in a previous post in a different thread. What did you say? Something like, I wear a seat belt and carry a gun, not because, what? You need to post that here again my friend.

It was brilliant! :)

That is very kind of you. I have said it before, but I will say it again ... I have great respect for your opinion. What I wrote was "For the same reason I wear my seat belt. I'm not likely to need either, but I certainly will want either if I do need one or the other." Of course, there are many things that can be compared in a similar fashion. I always wore a helmet and wore a riding jacket, despite never intending to need them. Fortunately, I had both when I did need them. Unfortunately, I had left the riding pants in the back luggage, which was a poor decision. I was fortunate that the consequences were minor, but if I need a firearm and don't have one, the consequences will be devastating.

OkieStubble

That is very kind of you. I have said it before, but I will say it again ... I have great respect for your opinion. What I wrote was "For the same reason I wear my seat belt. I'm not likely to need either, but I certainly will want either if I do need one or the other." Of course, there are many things that can be compared in a similar fashion. I always wore a helmet and wore a riding jacket, despite never intending to need them. Fortunately, I had both when I did need them. Unfortunately, I had left the riding pants in the back luggage, which was a poor decision. I was fortunate that the consequences were minor, but if I need a firearm and don't have one, the consequences will be devastating.

Great post. I can remember when I was very young, my Momma always told me to make sure I have clean underwear on, because you never know if you might be in an accident and wind up in the hospital.

Don’t want the nurses looking at dirty draws! :)

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Great post. I can remember when I was very young, my Momma always told me to make sure I have clean underwear on, because you never know if you might be in an accident and wind up in the hospital.

Don’t want the nurses looking at dirty draws! :)
Unfortunately on at least two such occasions it really would not have matter how clean my drawers were when I put them on.

Top Bottom