What's new

So what are these like? Wilkinson Sword razors .

Well I managed to acquire these ...

Only six of the original ten but all NOS.

Now, what shall I do with them!

Are they any good? Can somebody wiser than me ID them without me having to open them up?

Hi Mark, are they TTO, 2 or 3 piece or one of the flip top razors that W/S produced. Dont know if you can tell through the packaging. Wouldn't mind one if you sell them off. One sold on ebay recently (ish) but I cannot find it........

With no advice forthcoming on what they are like I decided to crack one open to try.

Plastic construction but with some weight added - 34 g on my scale so similar to the aluminium Gillette Rocket LD in weight

Interesting two piece construction.

You hold the ends of the plastic cap and screw the handle to take it apart.

The blades themselves are Made in England so should be OK. Test shave tomorrow .....

Hi mate, this is the current W&S "classic" razor quite obviously developed from your ones.

$image.jpg

I can't quite tell from your picture, what part of the handle do you turn to release the head? On the W&S you might be able to make out a ridged piece on the handle end that turns to release the head.

they look like an older version of the wilkie classic,which is very mild,the blades with that razor look like a pack of english wilkies i got with a #66 aristocrat, i used one of the blades and got 12 good shaves from it, i could have pushed it for a few more shaves but atg was a bit dull, very good blades.

and the verdict is ....

A perfectly acceptable shave!

It seems more like a cart than a DE or probably to be honest, like a cheap single blade disposable.

The benefit I see is that I think it would be really, really hard to cut yourself with this based on the blade exposure and protection of the edges.

In fact I'm INSISTING that Mrs Mark tries this for her legs. I've gentle suggested a Lady Gillette before but not pushed whereas this is a cannot go wrong option in my book.

So after one shave I'm not a huge fan for everyday use - there are much better razors out there - but as a beginning razor or for the ladies - think this has got something to offer.

I can't quite tell from your picture, what part of the handle do you turn to release the head? On the W&S you might be able to make out a ridged piece on the handle end that turns to release the head.

The whole 'silver' part of the handle turns

they look like an older version of the wilkie classic,which is very mild,the blades with that razor look like a pack of english wilkies i got with a #66 aristocrat, i used one of the blades and got 12 good shaves from it, i could have pushed it for a few more shaves but atg was a bit dull, very good blades.

Yes and Yes. These old wilks are great blades - I generally get 10 or so shaves from them

and the verdict is ....

A perfectly acceptable shave!

It seems more like a cart than a DE or probably to be honest, like a cheap single blade disposable.

The benefit I see is that I think it would be really, really hard to cut yourself with this based on the blade exposure and protection of the edges.

In fact I'm INSISTING that Mrs Mark tries this for her legs. I've gentle suggested a Lady Gillette before but not pushed whereas this is a cannot go wrong option in my book.

So after one shave I'm not a huge fan for everyday use - there are much better razors out there - but as a beginning razor or for the ladies - think this has got something to offer.
i have the newer classic, its the mildest de razor i have ever used,you would have more chance of a nick or cut from a mach3.if you need to shave fast or have a touch up shave they are good, i have not used mine for about a year and a half, i have enough techs now which is a better all rounder,they are good as a travel razor also.

Second shave with the Wilkinson today.

This razor is a hoot.

I dragged this around my face, with pressure, at a wide range of different angles.

It would not cut me and gave a perfectly acceptable two pass shave. Not BBS but certainly OK.

Top Bottom