What's new

So Upgrading From a Beginer SR To A Better One

When a beginner upgrades from a crappy starting razor to something better, what can the newbie expect? What are the main differences that are going to be noticed right away by shaving with an upgrade?

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
I am new to this, but my take is:
Crappy razor with a crappy edge will not be much fun and may make you want to quit.
Crappy razor with a good edge will make you realize it is all about the edge.
Nice razor with a crappy edge is just nice razor with a bad edge- no fun.
Nice razor with a nice edge is a joy to use, it will will feel smooth and safe, plus nice aesthetics.
In the end, a good edge is what matters more than the razor.
A razor that has been honed by a pro will make your shave work better and give you confidence. A junk edge will have you fighting to get a good shave and that is when things go bad.
I'd rather put money and effort into getting a good edge than putting money into the razor itself. Don't get me wrong, I have still been spending money on new razors, but some of my best shaves have come from carefully worked blades from someone who really knows their stuff.
I still have a lot to learn, so others may have more to say.

Depends on what you mean by “crappy”. Some people (myself included) find even a well modded and honed Gold Dollar to be a delight to use.

A lot comes, like many things, down to personal preference - hardness of steel, how an edge is kept, grind, tail length, spine detail work, toe style, etc.

In general the steel will be better, the scales will be nicer than simple celluloid, and the blade will look aesthetically pleasing. Whether or not it actually shaves better is another story.

It should hold an edge a little better and certainly look better.
I believe all dovo razors are made with the same steel yet they still vary in price difference being gold wash, better scales etc.

I believe my crappiest shaves as well as my nicest. Shaved with a cheap vintage Chinese yesterday. I paid a little for it being vintage new old stock. I'm assuming it was from the 60's made in China. The shave was great and it honed pretty easy . I haven't shaved very often with any of my blades. I don't know about the life of the edges lasting more from one to the other. I have found vintage to be my preference. Vintage nos German blades are to be considered when thinking of upgrading. Good luck

Agreed, no reason to start out behind. And as others have mentioned, it's more about the edge than about the razor. A good edge on a "crappy" razor is miles better than a bad edge on the same "crappy" razor. So investing in a professionally honed edge is well worth it.

But based on my 8 months of experience with daily straight shaving ... Until you know a good edge from a bad edge and have gotten your technique a bit "into the groove", spending money on a "good" razor is not likely to give you better shaves.
  1. Get a good edge.
  2. Get your technique established.
  3. Then start investing in "good" razors and hone them to your preferred edge to allow you to keep improving your technique.
Good luck...

Really depends on what you call a crappy razor. If it's Pakistani bad steel that won't hold an edge or has an obtuse bevel of 25 degrees or more you'll probably be blown away by a better razor honed to the same degree of sharpness.

If crappy to you is a $50 Dovo 5/8 or a $25 dollar vintage in great shape compared to a $500 custom or rare vintage honed to the same level...nah you won't see a big step up.

Echoing what others have said here, it's 99% about the edge - I have a Gold Dollar that I reworked for hours and now shaves as good as any modern or vintage razor I've had (Dovos, Bokers, Wade and Butchers, Filarmonicas, etc). Same scenario with a Dovo "Best Quality" that I have. Admittedly, the better quality steels used in better razors (not necessarily reflected in the price of the razor) will take a sharper edge and maintain that edge for longer.

Top Bottom