What's new

So this came in my email today (ATT content)

Just when I thought I as out, they pull me back in!

Very interesting. I've always loved the form factor of my ATT M1 & S1 Atlas, but I haven't enjoyed the shave as much compared to the more efficient yet still smooth Rex Ambassador and Timeless. Very curious to see how they perform!

And the blade in the stock photo--has to be the best looking Astra SP I've seen. Last batch I got the letters were so faint I couldn't hardly make them out!

Was hoping for better blade support, the reason I sold my M2 Calypso.

The new slant design (X1) is still happening but there was an issue with the prototype so the released is somewhat delayed.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
Was hoping for better blade support, the reason I sold my M2 Calypso.

I've purchased an ATT razor a few years ago and the poorly designed blade support made me return the razor.
I'm not saying ATT razors are of low quality, they are in many aspects actually very good, but they have to improve this specific aspect.

I've purchased an ATT razor a few years ago and the poorly designed blade support made me return the razor.
I'm not saying ATT razors are of low quality, they are in many aspects actually very good, but they have to improve this specific aspect.

Actually this is something they are looking into now. Sad that they won't be made in America going forward (I'm not even from the States).

No idea but it does say parts from around the globe.

Im interested too but not sure about the bade gap or aggressivenes

Only two blade gaps will be offered. .90 and a milder version TBC. It does say the exposure will be inbetween the Windsor and the classic razors. Classic razors have 1.5mm exposure, don't know about the Windsor design but know is it less/smoother.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
No idea but it does say parts from around the globe.

Only two blade gaps will be offered. .90 and a milder version TBC. It does say the exposure will be inbetween the Windsor and the classic razors. Classic razors have 1.5mm exposure, don't know about the Windsor design but know is it less/smoother.
Interesting they had more plate options for the other models.
As others have said im also curious about the location of manufacturing.
Ive noticed for many months now that they have very few if ant returned parts for sale. Ive wondered if overall sales are down.

I do find it a bit duplicitous, that a lot of people are giving ATT a hard time for this decision considering pretty much everyone nowadays uses a brush made in China, doesn't matter if natural or synthetic. Same goes for blades btw, don't see the majority of US shavers only using Personna Lab Blue blades.

The problem for ATT is that they have no hype behind them at all, rarely do I see them in SOTD posts and especially on Youtube. Not sure why that is, whether their razors are just not good enough or if they don't schmooze the right people. I assume that lack of being the talk in the wetshaving world is reflected in their sales numbers hence the need to cut some costs. I'll venture a guess that if this line of products flops, ATT will be forced to shut their doors eventually, so lets hope enough people give them a fair chance with this new razors. At the end of the day you are still supporting a US based business.

That being said, I think the prices are too high for chinese made razors. Close to 150 USD is still a far cry from Rockwell's 6s (US made), the Razorock Stainless options (Canadian) and especially the PAA DOC Ascension (Chinese made, so a comparable). Same goes for the Rocca by Mühle and the 3one6 by Edwin Jagger, that don't come near the 100€ mark over here in Europe, while being produced here.
So essentially ATT is in the same category as Alpha Shaving/Executive Shaving with their Outlaw razor, who offer a chinese made Stainless Steel razor for round about 130 USD.

I do find it a bit duplicitous, that a lot of people are giving ATT a hard time for this decision considering pretty much everyone nowadays uses a brush made in China, doesn't matter if natural or synthetic. Same goes for blades btw, don't see the majority of US shavers only using Personna Lab Blue blades.

The problem for ATT is that they have no hype behind them at all, rarely do I see them in SOTD posts and especially on Youtube. Not sure why that is, whether their razors are just not good enough or if they don't schmooze the right people. I assume that lack of being the talk in the wetshaving world is reflected in their sales numbers hence the need to cut some costs. I'll venture a guess that if this line of products flops, ATT will be forced to shut their doors eventually, so lets hope enough people give them a fair chance with this new razors. At the end of the day you are still supporting a US based business.

That being said, I think the prices are too high for chinese made razors. Close to 150 USD is still a far cry from Rockwell's 6s (US made), the Razorock Stainless options (Canadian) and especially the PAA DOC Ascension (Chinese made, so a comparable). Same goes for the Rocca by Mühle and the 3one6 by Edwin Jagger, that don't come near the 100€ mark over here in Europe, while being produced here.
So essentially ATT is in the same category as Alpha Shaving/Executive Shaving with their Outlaw razor, who offer a chinese made Stainless Steel razor for round about 130 USD.
Not to be a wise guy, but my last three shaves involved an ATT razor and a Personna Lab Blue (bought a 100 pack). That said, I get what you’re saying. I also understand the disappointment some feel towards ATT’s move to China for manufacturing.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
It must be a small or niche market and difficult to sustain especially getting buzz and attention in the internet world for a expensive razor. Other mfg are shutting down so no doubt its tough. Maybe off shore mfg can help with their bottom line but then they lose the niche of made in usa.

If the group would be so kind as to hear me out, I’d like to present another view. I’d much prefer to see the ATT products “Made in America”. Nevertheless, I think Matt made a smart choice, for 2 reasons.

1. Regardless what we feel, DE shaving is still very much a niche market. A product line that lowers the entry cost to high end razors will (I believe) grow the market. This is good for all of us as it will likely increase demand for and variety of products available to us. Moreover, there’s a distinct possibility that new wetshavers may very well increase the demand for the more expensive “Made in America” products.

2. That there is so much more buzz about the new product line not being 100% produced in America and not about the qualities of the product itself underscores Matt’s point that the market is nearing saturation. If this keeps ATT viable, profitable, and in business, that again is good for all of us. It adds product choices and spurs competition, which means more and better products for us now and in the future. And it keeps a few more small business jobs around.

Wishing Matt, ATT, and the new Windsor Pro success!

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
The problem for ATT is that they have no hype behind them at all, rarely do I see them in SOTD posts and especially on Youtube. Not sure why that is, whether their razors are just not good enough or if they don't schmooze the right people.

This question is in my opinion one of the biggest mysteries in the wet shaving world. Some products arouse such an insane level of hype that it just can't be logically explained by anything that has to do with their characteristics, qualities and nature. The variety of reasons for that are all accidental, inconsistent, indiscernible, volatile, unrelated, and straightforwardly random. On the opposite pole stand other products, their counterparts, that are comparable, similar, equal, if not completely identical in all significant aspects to the over-hyped ones, that are for no good reason suffer from a completely different fate that is equally as mysterious and random - it's not even that they are not drawing their fair share of attention, or not being mentioned enough, or are suffering from biased, unfair, unbalanced reviews, or being underestimated and discriminated, but they are simply being systematically skipped over, ignored, not receiving any kind of attention, reaction, feedback, up to the point that they become completely forgotten, erased, nonexistent. Life is very unfair. :sad:

This question is in my opinion one of the biggest mysteries in the wet shaving world. Some products arouse such an insane level of hype that it just can't be logically explained by anything that has to do with their characteristics, qualities and nature. The variety of reasons for that are all accidental, inconsistent, indiscernible, volatile, unrelated, and straightforwardly random. On the opposite pole stand other products, their counterparts, that are comparable, similar, equal, if not completely identical in all significant aspects to the over-hyped ones, that are for no good reason suffer from a completely different fate that is equally as mysterious and random - it's not even that they are not drawing their fair share of attention, or not being mentioned enough, or are suffering from biased, unfair, unbalanced reviews, or being underestimated and discriminated, but they are simply being systematically skipped over, ignored, not receiving any kind of attention, reaction, feedback, up to the point that they become completely forgotten, erased, nonexistent. Life is very unfair. :sad:

The very same thing happens in the guitar industry.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Internet influencers perhaps

Internet influencers perhaps

Definitely the biggest factor IMO. You can always observe a correlation between hype from Youtube and what is talked about afterwards in the forums. Helps if the stock of products is kept artificially low.

Top Bottom