What's new

So much knowledge lost; not just in guns

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
There is so much knowledge lost, not just in guns but across all ares; as companies change hands of go out of business and the records simply taken to the dump or burned and destroyed.

Lately I've been trying to gather some information about a couple of my revolvers and found some information but never what I'm really trying to learn. I can get close, close enough to feel like I might just succeed only to find a yawning chasm between me and the next destination.

The two in particular that are my current challenge are a Hopkins & Allen Safety Police small frame 32S&W and a Harrington & Richardson top break revolver that later was named "Defender" and became the 925.

What I learned so far. The Hopkins & Allen "Safety Police" models show up in advertising in 1908 and the company went out of business in 1916 or 1917 (when the ceased production and when the company was dissolved varies) so the gun falls into that almost decade time period. But several variation are shown or mentioned over that period with no firm dates associated.

The little H&A on a 50 round box of 32S&W:
proxy.php

The H&R "Defender" (even though the one I have is not called a Defender or have a model number) I can get somewhat closer. The earliest mention of the handgun I have is in 1935 but it has a slightly different upper part and sights than what I have. H&R started using date codes in serial numbers in 1940 so the one I have was made before 1940. An advertisement for a gun similar to mine shows the 38 Defender but with "Defender" imprinted on the barrel and has all the classic WWII symbology, the CD (Civil Defense) symbol, emergency symbols along with other symbols used during the era leading up to WWII.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The only markings on the frame of mine are the cartridge designation and the manufacturer/patent numbers on the top strap.

proxy.php

proxy.php

So... the revolver was made after 1935 and before 1940 and before model numbers were used. The serial number is really low, 234 and found on the front grip strap, under the grip and on the cylinder so that places it closer to the 1935 end than the 1939 cut off date. It carries the US style 38 S&W cartridge marking and no British proof marks so it was meant for the domestic market rather than the Lend Lease or Military market.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Nice pistolas, that H&R looks almost unused. Sorry I don't have any info to share.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Nice pistolas, that H&R looks almost unused. Sorry I don't have any info to share.
Yes, not even a turn line. No signs it was fired afet it left the factory.

But so many companies have gone and with their passing ALL of the history, the knowledge, the records and even advertisements destroyed. The folk that once worked at the companies are dead or dying. Yet so much that they produced is still functioning.

But so many companies have gone and with their passing ALL of the history, the knowledge, the records and even advertisements destroyed. The folk that once worked at the companies are dead or dying. Yet so much that they produced is still functioning.

Get used to it. It's only getting worse. I agree it's a great shame. We have lost some amazing companies with a lot of know-how and history. Many of the products made today lean much more heavily toward the throwaway model, sadly.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
H&R made a wonderful, if somewhat funky, firearm.

Agree much is lost: the internet is like the skin of an apple; shallow. You can read a little bit about something in many places, but deeper knowledge will always require a book.

If it wasn't for phones, I'm not sure anyone would know how to read anymore. They're not reading many books ...

AA

Top Bottom