What's new

So much for a Kodak moment eh!!!

Since you asked, I will tell you what I saw as I began working as a contractor for Fuji Film North America. I began this job in 2002 after Fuji won a huge contract with Walgreens drug stores in the USA and Fuji has always had the Walmart business locked up. This is for the photo mini labs aka the one hour photo processing equipment in stores. At the time that I started, one hour photo labs kept track of how much production they had by roll count. As in rolls of film processed. Kodak’s business model relied heavily on sales of film, photo processing chemicals and photo paper (the actual photo you would take home with you) for profits. That was where the big money was. Similar to the business model of King C Gillette, sell razors cheap and make profits from blade sales.
About that time, digital cameras began to appear in the hands of consumers in greater and greater numbers. Fuji, since they made their own mini labs, created a method to digitize images from rolls of film along with kiosks that consumers could use to make prints from their digital cameras and this was a smart forward thinking leap in the photo industry. Kodak, on the other hand was very slow to adapt to the digital photo revolution. They didn’t manufacture their own photo processing equipment as there isn’t much profit in it. They sold their chemicals and photo paper to stores using Gretag, Konica and other processing labs. Kodak couldn’t adapt but Fuji could as they made their own equipment. Stores were quick to grasp that customers were switching to digital cameras and they wanted processing labs that could deliver. Processing chemicals and photo paper sales went to Fuji and Kodak lost out. The trend continued and by 2010 sales of film cameras and photo film had plummeted drastically. Kodak did begin to make some digital cameras but they were very late to the dance.
Kodak’s inability to innovate and their failure to adapt to a new business model basically doomed one of the most iconic companies in the world.

Great summary! Sad to see an iconic company implode due to lack of innovation! :sob: :sob:

Fuji still has a presence in the digital camera field but that market has been shrinking for years. Canon and Nikon dominate the SLR camera market and their large line up of camera lenses for both consumers and professionals make it difficult for Fuji to compete. Photographers invest in lenses and after you build up a substantial investment in lenses you tend to stick with that brand. You might invest in a newer camera body but you want one that is compatible with your lenses. I used to drool over some of Canon’s top end “L” professional telephoto lenses. Those are the big white lenses you see photographers use at sporting events. I think some can set you back close to $10,000.
Fuji’s x pro series is getting a lot of attention these days. Also their film still sells really well in the local stores here.

Hi,

They had plenty of innovation. They had digital way back in 1984 when I bought some for use with imaging circuit boards on robotic lines at IBM. They had the first commercial DSLR as well. And, plenty of models mostly based on Nikon and Canon film bodies they bought. Even digital backs for many other cameras.

When Nikon and Canon decided to get in on the act on their own, Kodak kept on for a while. But, what happened is the digital began eroding the film sales and Kodak brass decided the main reason was their own digital SLR division. Of course, they were wrong on that point. It wasn't Kodak's own doing the damage.

I am still using a Pentax medium format with a Kodak imager chip in it. But, that was about the last, if not the last, to be used in a commercial camera. All that's left are specialty imagers for industrial and scientific use. Ironically, what Kodak began making digital imagers for in the first place.

Stan

Reactions: abj
It's my understanding that Kodak invented digital photography. Somehow they just couldn't move away from what they felt was a perfect business model of film photography. Kodak handled the photographic systems used on the U2. They also switched the U2 from film to digital.

Kodak's business model was immovably imbedded in their film DNA. It's hard to get out of the buggy-whip business when you can't imagine a world without horses. Tom Watson, IBM's president in 1943, famously predicted "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." The true visionaries are often, maybe usually, not at the top. And sometimes the visionary gets too far in front of his/her own headlights - a la French Realist Paul Delaroche, who declared in 1840 on seeing his first daguerreotype "Painting is dead." Pablo Picasso would beg to differ. The glass, indeed, is often cloudy....

Last edited:
Back to the original question -who makes theses razors for Kodak? All I can find on the internet is that they are made from Swedish steel?

So who are the Swedish razor blade manufacturers?

First digital camera made by an engineer at Kodak, Steven Sasson, in 1975:

I remember seeing advertisements in train stations in NYC for inkjet printers back in the 1970s. My understanding is Xerox invented it. If you were around back then, you probably received junk mail with your address printed by inkjet.

Xerox also invented laser printing, and much of what we take for granted in modern computing, primarily at Xerox Parc. Steve Jobs toured Xerox Parc and used much of what he saw there in Apple products. Ever see a Xerox Alto? Where is Xerox now?

Will Xerox follow Kodak's lead into the disposable razor gold mine? That would not be wise.

The razor industry, especially the disposable cartridge portion, could go the way of film, one day, sort of. How much profit is there in disposable razors that last two or three months? With titanium, and blade/coatings of the future, blades could last too darn long. And how much profit is there in a can of shaving mousse?

I don't think double edge razors will disappear any time soon. They are still the cheapest way to shave for billions of people around the world. But there is no way to predict what changes in blade materials and manufacturing techniques lie in the future. An inexpensive way to make ideally sharp blades would be interesting. Laser sharpening? 3D razor printing? Molded polymer blades? Or simply a new stamping technique?

How about a home razor laser sharpener?

My bet is on super-gluing a single ultra-sharp edge strip less than a millimeter wide to a non-metal blade that is secured rigidly within a razor head. Or have they already almost done that with the BIC Sensitive single blade?

But I think a future system might use a non-metal blade-edge material and sharpening system, perhaps a harder form of glass.

It reminds me, however, of "The Man in the White Suit." Sometimes great ideas don't pan out in the end.

BTW, professional photographers knew, long before the digital demise of Kodak, that Fuji and Ilford were making better film. Kodak cut corners on quality to increase profits. Sound familiar?

It does give cause for hope that some of today's corporate monstrosities might one day join the dinosaurs, or at least resort to making disposable razors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom