What's new

So much for a Kodak moment eh!!!

hello there, so I got these razors from poundland and it's razors made by Kodak...

Can someone tell me how theyve gone from making cameras to disposable razors? Lol
proxy.php

Good bargain though to be fair, five 3 blade disposable razor for a quid, yes a quid I say!!!

I will report back once I've used them to let you know what they're like,
but using de razors and blades i dont use cartridge blades often now..

image_85365.jpg

hello there, so I got these razors from poundland and it's razors made by Kodak...

Can someone tell me how theyve gone from making cameras to disposable razors? Lol
proxy.php
Since you asked, I will tell you what I saw as I began working as a contractor for Fuji Film North America. I began this job in 2002 after Fuji won a huge contract with Walgreens drug stores in the USA and Fuji has always had the Walmart business locked up. This is for the photo mini labs aka the one hour photo processing equipment in stores. At the time that I started, one hour photo labs kept track of how much production they had by roll count. As in rolls of film processed. Kodak’s business model relied heavily on sales of film, photo processing chemicals and photo paper (the actual photo you would take home with you) for profits. That was where the big money was. Similar to the business model of King C Gillette, sell razors cheap and make profits from blade sales.
About that time, digital cameras began to appear in the hands of consumers in greater and greater numbers. Fuji, since they made their own mini labs, created a method to digitize images from rolls of film along with kiosks that consumers could use to make prints from their digital cameras and this was a smart forward thinking leap in the photo industry. Kodak, on the other hand was very slow to adapt to the digital photo revolution. They didn’t manufacture their own photo processing equipment as there isn’t much profit in it. They sold their chemicals and photo paper to stores using Gretag, Konica and other processing labs. Kodak couldn’t adapt but Fuji could as they made their own equipment. Stores were quick to grasp that customers were switching to digital cameras and they wanted processing labs that could deliver. Processing chemicals and photo paper sales went to Fuji and Kodak lost out. The trend continued and by 2010 sales of film cameras and photo film had plummeted drastically. Kodak did begin to make some digital cameras but they were very late to the dance.
Kodak’s inability to innovate and their failure to adapt to a new business model basically doomed one of the most iconic companies in the world.

Since you asked, I will tell you what I saw as I began working as a contractor for Fuji Film North America. I began this job in 2002 after Fuji won a huge contract with Walgreens drug stores in the USA and Fuji has always had the Walmart business locked up. This is for the photo mini labs aka the one hour photo processing equipment in stores. At the time that I started, one hour photo labs kept track of how much production they had by roll count. As in rolls of film processed. Kodak’s business model relied heavily on sales of film, photo processing chemicals and photo paper (the actual photo you would take home with you) for profits. That was where the big money was. Similar to the business model of King C Gillette, sell razors cheap and make profits from blade sales.
About that time, digital cameras began to appear in the hands of consumers in greater and greater numbers. Fuji, since they made their own mini labs, created a method to digitize images from rolls of film along with kiosks that consumers could use to make prints from their digital cameras and this was a smart forward thinking leap in the photo industry. Kodak, on the other hand was very slow to adapt to the digital photo revolution. They didn’t manufacture their own photo processing equipment as there isn’t much profit in it. They sold their chemicals and photo paper to stores using Gretag, Konica and other processing labs. Kodak couldn’t adapt but Fuji could as they made their own equipment. Stores were quick to grasp that customers were switching to digital cameras and they wanted processing labs that could deliver. Processing chemicals and photo paper sales went to Fuji and Kodak lost out. The trend continued and by 2010 sales of film cameras and photo film had plummeted drastically. Kodak did begin to make some digital cameras but they were very late to the dance.
Kodak’s inability to innovate and their failure to adapt to a new business model basically doomed one of the most iconic companies in the world.
It’s sad to see this happen to Kodak. But, they saw the handwriting on the wall early on and failed to react.

By that, I mean that they knew in 1978 that cameras would soon be digital and film would fall out of favor. I worked in a camera shop in 1978. I had a conversation with the Kodak rep one day about Kodak buying a company that made magnetic storage devices. I jokingly asked why Kodak would want a company in an unrelated field. He told me that the brain trust at Kodak had foreseen the digital revolution and were taking steps to be ready.

I guess they didn’t follow through.

It’s sad to see this happen to Kodak. But, they saw the handwriting on the wall early on and failed to react.

By that, I mean that they knew in 1978 that cameras would soon be digital and film would fall out of favor. I worked in a camera shop in 1978. I had a conversation with the Kodak rep one day about Kodak buying a company that made magnetic storage devices. I jokingly asked why Kodak would want a company in an unrelated field. He told me that the brain trust at Kodak had foreseen the digital revolution and were taking steps to be ready.

I guess they didn’t follow through.
What has been very interesting to watch over the years is the improvement that has been made in cell phone cameras. Who even buys digital cameras any more unless you are hobbiest or professional photographer. Today’s cell phones can take amazing photos and you always have it handy. Surprisingly the demand for photo prints remain. Good thing too or I would be out of work. Fuji Film is a very diversified company though making a large number of medical diagnostic equipment, drug research and sales, photo copy machines etc. They should still be around and successful long after I am gone. It is sad about Kodak even if they were a competitor. It didn’t have to go the way it did.

What has been very interesting to watch over the years is the improvement that has been made in cell phone cameras. Who even buys digital cameras any more unless you are hobbiest or professional photographer. Today’s cell phones can take amazing photos and you always have it handy. Surprisingly the demand for photo prints remain. Good thing too or I would be out of work. Fuji Film is a very diversified company though making a large number of medical diagnostic equipment, drug research and sales, photo copy machines etc. They should still be around and successful long after I am gone. It is sad about Kodak even if they were a competitor. It didn’t have to go the way it did.
I wonder how much the cell phone camera affected their demise. Their stock in trade was a cheap camera that anyone could operate and get decent photos. The Smartphone came out of nowhere and when it did, it took over that niche. With film sales gone and camera sales gone, they were doomed.

The irony of that is the reason LG televisions are so good (the true black / high dynamic range OLEDs) is they bought up the Kodak patent library and realized what Kodak had in a way that Kodak didn't. LG actually talks about this on LG's own website:

I believe Kodak also had one of the first digital cameras well before Nikon etc came onto the scene but their film division nixed the development of that technology.

What country were they made in?
im based in the uk and poundland is just a pound shop bit like the dollar stores in the states

just checked it says made in china and distributed by strand europe (something along those lines)

thats really interesting and thanks for sharing your experience

when did you stop working as a contractor for fuji film?

yea the invention of camera phones probably mad eit a bit too big of a hurdle for them to bounce back from too

The irony of that is the reason LG televisions are so good (the true black / high dynamic range OLEDs) is they bought up the Kodak patent library and realized what Kodak had in a way that Kodak didn't. LG actually talks about this on LG's own website:

I believe Kodak also had one of the first digital cameras well before Nikon etc came onto the scene but their film division nixed the development of that technology.
interesting didnt know that about LG,
they do make some cracking 4k tvs though

Yes, film brought in the big bucks. They would have had a big say in the direction of the company. Very short sighted. Innovate or evaporate. You can’t stand still or you will be left behind.

Yes, film brought in the big bucks. They would have had a big say in the direction of the company. Very short sighted. Innovate or evaporate. You can’t stand still or you will be left behind.
a company that comes to mind when it comes to consistently innovating,
has to be samsung their mobile phone range is always on the up imo

thats really interesting and thanks for sharing your experience

when did you stop working as a contractor for fuji film?

yea the invention of camera phones probably mad eit a bit too big of a hurdle for them to bounce back from too
I still work as a contractor for them. Actually the company I work for is partially owned by Fuji. They are our base customer but we are in the service industry and we have over 20 different companies whose equipment we service in the field. Fuji is and has been our bread and butter though.

Reactions: saj
I still work as a contractor for them. Actually the company I work for is partially owned by Fuji. They are our base customer but we are in the service industry and we have over 20 different companies whose equipment we service in the field. Fuji is and has been our bread and butter though.
i dont know anything about fuji except that it used to be big back in the day but are fuji still big in the digital camera world?

i dont know anything about fuji except that it used to be big back in the day but are fuji still big in the digital camera world?
Fuji still has a presence in the digital camera field but that market has been shrinking for years. Canon and Nikon dominate the SLR camera market and their large line up of camera lenses for both consumers and professionals make it difficult for Fuji to compete. Photographers invest in lenses and after you build up a substantial investment in lenses you tend to stick with that brand. You might invest in a newer camera body but you want one that is compatible with your lenses. I used to drool over some of Canon’s top end “L” professional telephoto lenses. Those are the big white lenses you see photographers use at sporting events. I think some can set you back close to $10,000.

Last edited:
Reactions: saj
Fuji still has a presence in the digital camera field but that market has been shrinking for years. Canon and Nikon dominate the SLR camera market and their large line up of camera lenses for both consumers and professionals make it difficult for Fuji to compete. Photographers invest in lenses and after you build up a substantial investment in lenses you tend to stick with that brand. You might invest in a newer camera body but you want one that is compatible with your lenses. I used to drool over some of Canon’s top end “L” professional telephoto lenses. Those are the big white lenses you see photographers use at sporting events. I think some can set you back close to $10,000.

dont know anything about SLR cameras but some of the photos they produce are amazing

The weird thing about Fuji is they were doing some really innovative things on the sensor front but they never really took off (and I realize from googling just now Sony is apparantly making Fuji's unique sensors. ). The company that seemed to pop out of nowhere on that front is Sony. I think Nikon's sensors are actually Sony's - but you marry those high res. sensors to a camera - they are all now innovating on glass as well.

I've heard that none of that L glass from the film days compares to the new mirrorless R lenses for instance on the new Canons because the resolution is so crazy high (like medium format high)?

The weird thing about Fuji is they were doing some really innovative things on the sensor front but they never really took off (and I realize from googling just now Sony is apparantly making Fuji's unique sensors. ). The company that seemed to pop out of nowhere on that front is Sony. I think Nikon's sensors are actually Sony's - but you marry those high res. sensors to a camera - they are all now innovating on glass as well.

I've heard that none of that L glass from the film days compares to the new mirrorless R lenses for instance on the new Canons because the resolution is so crazy high (like medium format high)?
Yeah it is quite common. I think Epson owns the patent for the piezo crystal design used on all inkjet printers for the print heads. The printer industry is famous for one company making a printer model but it get’s rebranded for another company. I know that I have worked on Lexmark printers sold as Infoprint brand and other brand names. Same printers. I used to be into Digital SLR cameras over a decade ago but I lost interest so I haven’t followed it closely. I know nothing about R lenses but technical improvement is one way to get consumers to buy something new. You have to generate sales and you have to stay ahead of the competition. Convincing someone they need to ditch $15,000 in lenses to get the latest and greatest is one way to do it I suppose.

Reactions: Avi
Top Bottom