What's new

So many soaps...hard to choose...

Since I started using a brush this year, I have used a Proraso green tube cream (finished in 5 months) , and been using 1/4 of MFW (got as a pif ). I have a Proraso white tub and a Nivea shaving cream 100ml, both used very little. So I am pretty much setup for more than 8-10 months.

I like budget items and where I live, I can find some creams and soaps from Proraso, Nivea and Palmolive.

I am thinking to get another soap, probably around 100 - 150 grams, and under 10 - 12 usd. When I check the Gifts and care website (nice international shipping cost but its cost pushes you to get more that then one item in order to economize), I get headaches by the large number of unknown soaps to me.

What soap would you suggest me, based on my criteria? I don't like strong scent and I love soaps that last a lot.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Speick Stick. You can get two within your budget and grate them into a bowl, would give you 100g
La Toja stick. Same as above. Or get one of each to try out...
Valobra stick
Haslinger. Again two pucks would net you 120g and still within your budget. All mild scents
Cella 150ml bowl Scent YMMV Softer soap, croap
Tabac 125g puck Scent YMMV

Speik, La Toja, and Valobra are all hard soaps, long lasting with pretty mild scents.

Enjoy the journey!

There aren't too many good soaps in that price range, but I would suggest Haslinger. It's quite a bit smaller than what you were looking for (60 gram puck), but it is one of the best soaps out there. If you like it, then you will certainly be happily buying more, but if you don't, then you are only stuck with it for a few months as it doesn't take too long to finish up small pucks.

A lot of good options.

Haslinger Schaufmilch is my personal favorite soap. it’s also very affordable near $8-9 usd for a 60g puck. (Although not sure what cost would be with shipping). Scent is very subtle

Stirling is another quality soap option that would likely fit your budget (again not sure about added shipping). 4oz for about $12-15 usd. Scents maybe a bit strong for your liking. I think they have unscented.

Cella is a great affordable one too. But it’s scent is not what I would call subtle. It’s nice though. I can’t remember but I think it’s only 10 usd for 150g. I may be wrong on that as I have not bought some in a long while.

As someone mentioned speick has a lot of faithful users. also a very quality soap.

Those would be my quick suggestions since you already have mwf. But many good options that others are suggesting too.

Last edited:
I’d go with Cella, Arko shave stick, Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood (just a few dollars over your budget), La Toja, and check out Mama Bears shaving soaps.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I did deviate a while and tried a few different soaps, but when they've gone, I'll be settling back down with just Palmolive sticks and MWF. Good luck on your search.

I’d look at Pre De Provence. It’s very reasonably priced and seems like it lasts forever. I haven’t used the 63 yet, but it gets a lot of good attention here.

I’d go with Cella, Arko shave stick, Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood (just a few dollars over your budget), La Toja, and check out Mama Bears shaving soaps.

Are you referring to TOBS Sandalwood soap or cream? I’ve been wondering about the performance of the soap and considering a purchase.

I’d look at Pre De Provence. It’s very reasonably priced and seems like it lasts forever. I haven’t used the 63 yet, but it gets a lot of good attention here.

Are you referring to TOBS Sandalwood soap or cream? I’ve been wondering about the performance of the soap and considering a purchase.
Probably it is the cream, the soap doesn't lather at all.

There aren't too many good soaps in that price range, but I would suggest Haslinger. It's quite a bit smaller than what you were looking for (60 gram puck), but it is one of the best soaps out there. If you like it, then you will certainly be happily buying more, but if you don't, then you are only stuck with it for a few months as it doesn't take too long to finish up small pucks.

+1

Every shaver should try Haslingers at least once, it's one of the few that deserves the hype.
Schafmilch is my favourite - it will always find a place in my den. :cool:

+1

Every shaver should try Haslingers at least once, it's one of the few that deserves the hype.

Here I must add that the new Schafmilch without tallow, performs the same as the old formula. Very good soap and easy to lather. Get a six-pack.

In Greece I find them 5 euros/puck.

+1

I can honestly say that it is one of the finest soaps on the market. And if you read the reviews, few people who have tried it can find reason to complain about it. Sometimes it's not someone's cup of tea for one reason or another, but even those people will agree that it's a good performing soap, overall.

I’ve always gotten the cream in the tub. Honestly didn’t know they had soap now

If I get the Haslinger with the tin, I guess that the tin can be reusable for other Haslinger soaps as a container, am I right?

I think I will get a Haslinger soap plus a Cella 150 gramm.

+1

+3! I have the entire Haslinger’s lineup and they are all terriffic! :a14::a14:

Don't see why not, all the haslinger pucks I've bought have been the same size.
Never bought one in a tin, but looking at their website the pucks are 60g - same as the ones that come without tins.
Haslinger Seifen & Kosmetik GmbH.
On my quest to try new soap, I bought a proraso green one. Go figure. I have soaps enough for more than a year now.

But I know that my future soap will be between a Haslinger a Cella and maybe a Mitchell's WF.

Top Bottom